Tennis Forum banner

421 - 431 of 431 Posts

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,406 Posts
Well I guess everyone (including me) underestimated Sakkari. What she lacks in smooth technique and flair, she definitely makes up for in athleticism and sheer brutality. She never really flinched the entire match, served well and utilised nearly everything in her skillset to win.

Swiatek was a little below par but nothing major. I think she's played well most of the tournament but Sakarri just played the big points better and made less errors. Pretty academic really.

·
Registered
Henin, Radwanska, Hingis Court, Navratilova, Lisicki, Osaka, Kenin, Halep, Vinci.
229 Posts
Great match from Sakkari. Iga too passive which is always a dangerous way to play. You are basically at the mercy of your opponent.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Once upon a time being part of the top meant top 10. How the bar has dropped...
I've made a thread earlier this year with my prediction that Sakkari will make top 10 this year, some people thought it was ludicrous. I guess they were wrong and I was right.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Didn't you predict before the tournament that at least 3 or all 4 of the SFists would be from your short list of 7 (there are a total of 0), and got into an argument with me when I pointed out the obvious that it's more realistic to expect at least 2-3 surprise semifinalists (there are 4)? 😉
yes i was planning to write u under that thread! i owe u a huge apology :) BUT 4 of my 7 faves were injured (brady-mugu-ash-halep). 6 in the same half. please this is a good excuse and accept it ! maria and krej could have been my alternative faves :p good calll from u!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great match from Sakkari. Iga too passive which is always a dangerous way to play. You are basically at the mercy of your opponent.
Well, it's obvious you start to play passive when you have a bad day and you miss balls you normally would clean the lines with. This tactic helped her against Krejcikova and Gauff in Rome where she also missed a lot. But Sakakri defended like crazy and was very fast, one has to admit. So when she tried to push and everything went back and her heavy forehand failed her, Iga went awol a bit. Not a big issue at all, as this match was winnable if she had more experience - that comes with time. Not like it was a bloodbath in any sense...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Iga started to play passive because she missed a lot - it was a really bad day in the office, so she thought it would be safer to push, but Sakkari was very fast and chasing every ball

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, its obvious you start to play passive when you have a bad day and you miss balls you normally would clean the lines with. This tactic helped her against Kercikova and gauff in Rome where she also missed a lot. But Sakakri defended like crazy and was very fast, one has to admit. So when she tried to push and everything went back and her heavy forhand failed her, Iga went awol a bit. Not a big issue at all, as this match was winnable if she had more experience - that comes with time. Not like it was a bloodbath in any sense...
Need to work on her serves and how to deal with fellow heavy hitters

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah Barbs vs Sakkari is a different story. Point is Iga like all players have their strengths and weaknesses.
I don’t follow Iga closely like you, but I’m sure I read other players she lost against and the conclusion was always that Iga turned into an error machine against power players. Correct me if im wrong.
Iga temporarily turned into an error machine against Krejcikova in Rome, against Halep in Australia. They are no power players but extremely good movers. I think Iga starts panicking not because of heavy ball, but because of everything returning. Then she starts to think "what the f$ck, those points should be finished" and starts panicking. If you add a worse day and many missed easy balls, she starts to be more or less lost. Its a bit like Serena, who was never afraid of power players, but of good movers and defensors with a powerful enough game - and Serena always started to spread errors if she played such opponents. I think Iga will find a way to deal better with such situations and find a way to win ugly if she can't win in a more elegant way. That needs experience and comes with time. The talent is here, and I am pretty sure she will develop if she and her team work hard to overcome holes in her game and - the most important - proper attitude and mental toughness. Still, objectively a QF run is a good defence of her title, especially backed by Rome and Adelaide wins. So I gladly take what is given, no reason to whine too much.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Iga lost because of weariness, both physical and especially emotional, she looked exhausted. It would be better if she dropped Rome like in 2020, she is still too young to keep focus throughout two such big tournaments in a row. Also playing in parallel doubles...
And yes, I think she is the best clay player at the moment.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Iga lost because of weariness, both physical and especially emotional, she looked exhausted. It would be better if she dropped Rome like in 2020, she is still too young to keep focus throughout two such big tournaments in a row. Also playing in parallel doubles...
And yes, I think she is the best clay player at the moment.
Why do people keep going on about her playing doubles? if she wasn't playing doubles she would be training for three or four hours a day anyway, and surely the sharpness that comes from additional matchplay is of more benefit. As for this loss to Sakkari, she said that she only got about two hours' sleep the night before. Add that to the niggle that she felt in her thigh, and it would be enough to shake ANY player's self-confidence, not just hers.

421 - 431 of 431 Posts