Tennis Forum banner

401 - 420 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
oh yeah but its still a good chance to qualify to YEC which would be a good result and im sure Iga will pick some good wins or maybe one more title in next months

as i said it hurts to lose being favorite to win the trophy and having lower ranked opponents in a front of you but its still a good and promising year
Actually she could move down to 6th if Zidansek or Pavlyuchenkova wins. Either Krejikova or Sakkari will move past Iga by reaching the final.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
She should have been feasting using her topspin FH vs. shorter player. So clueless. Trying to hit so hard and reduce the spin on a hot day is just stupid. Also doesn't give her time to use her movement and get back into points.

The depth and spin in 2020 was completely different.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Love Iga but some of her fans were getting really arrogant and obnoxious after Rome. Obviously, she will win more RGs in the future, but placing her on the same pedestal as Nadal and acting as if this title defense was a foregone conclusion was utterly ridiculous.

She is a great player, but this is the WTA. Back to reality for anyone who thought otherwise.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Love Iga but some of her fans were getting really arrogant and obnoxious after Rome. Obviously, she will win more RGs in the future, but placing her on the same pedestal as Nadal and acting as if this title defense was a foregone conclusion was utterly ridiculous.

She is a great player, but this is the WTA. Back to reality for anyone who thought otherwise.
Frankly though I think the only ones that were seriously considering her the female Nadal were just two fans, and a few posters that doesn't really like her was calling her female Nadal as well as a sarcasm toward those two specific fans.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

With the total collapsing of the draw, it was normal to have great hopes. And Sakkari was not known for her great mental strenght and her game. She was losing in GS matches against Trevisan and Mladenovic ! Who believed she would beat Iga ?

But yes, WTA is not ATP. Iga doesn't have the security of the Bo5 and of course doesn't have the FH of Nadal and the supreme athleticism of Nadal (nobody else will be Nadal)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Sakkari chokes like every match. The fact that Iga played Sakkari into incredible form, and couldn't make it physical then exploit her mental weakness at all is a huge mark against her. The only time we saw it was the start of the match and then those first 2 MPs.

She's young but she needs to learn how to face these moments. Too immature.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sakkari chokes like every match. The fact that Iga played Sakkari into incredible form, and couldn't make it physical then exploit her mental weakness at all is a huge mark against her. The only time we saw it was the start of the match and then those first 2 MPs.

She's young but she needs to learn how to face these moments. Too immature.
This 100%

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
As usual here, it's an exaggeration. As I wrote above, Iga sprayed errors in this match when the balls were soft, not even close to any high speeds - like the whole eighth game of the first set. And netted many sitters. I'd rather look for a psychological or mental (maybe even physical) reasons why her form is fluctuating so much from match to match. Iga stayed quite well in rallies although could not finish them as easily as she used to, as Maria handled her very well. So she lost many rallies she usually won. Still, the match was lost just on a few of key points and they were simple unforced errors made without any real pressure. A bit like Kvitova who can play out of this world one match and complete sh$t the next one.
Cmon I know you are her fan but be objective.
Sakkari applied pressure the entire match with her “secret” she didn’t want to tell at court interview, which was be aggressive.

Iga made mistakes for 2 reasons: 1. Fast shots by opponent 2. Missing easy UE because of pressure from first point
They are dependent. This is tennis and everything is related.

Everyone knows Iga’s weakness, key is to take advantage of it successfully.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cmon I know you are her fan but be objective.
Sakkari applied pressure the entire match with her “secret” she didn’t want to tell at court interview, which was be aggressive.

Iga made mistakes for 2 reasons: 1. Fast shots by opponent 2. Missing easy UE because of pressure from first point
They are dependent. This is tennis and everything is related.

Everyone knows Iga’s weakness, key is to take advantage of it successfully.
I am a fan but a realistic one and I prove (see my earlier points) that most decisive points were missed without any pressure. Of course, there is also a mental pressure to be in this match, be favorite etc. Obviously she did not use her advantages properly, especially could use more spin because Sakkari is short and the missed shots would land in. But the reason is not the heavy ball and aggression, but after all good athletic skills of Maria, who could return almost everything and quite precisely, but it could not happen had she lost the first set which was lost mainly due to easy errors in key points. And we all know a champion can't squander easy points, so Iga is no champion yet. But there is no one easy explanation she lost. I am pretty sure if Barbs avoids easy errors and takes the first, Maria will be toast.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I am a fan but a realistic one and I prove (see my earlier points) that most decisive points were missed without any pressure. Of course, there is also a mental pressure to be in this match, be favorite etc. Obviously she did not use her advantages properly, especially could use more spin because Sakkari is short and the missed shots would land in. But the reason is not the heavy ball and aggression, but after all good athletic skills of Maria, who could return almost everything and quite precisely, but it could not happen had she lost the first set which was lost mainly due to easy errors in key points. And we all know a champion can't squander easy points, so Iga is no champion yet. But there is no one easy explanation she lost. I am pretty sure if Barbs avoids easy errors and takes the first, Maria will be toast.
Yeah Barbs vs Sakkari is a different story. Point is Iga like all players have their strengths and weaknesses.
I don’t follow Iga closely like you, but I’m sure I read other players she lost against and the conclusion was always that Iga turned into an error machine against power players. Correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The
The one and only truth is that Iga played terribly. Which is why Sakkari grew so confident when the match progressed.

·
Registered
15,054 Posts
After seven months since winning her first GS Iga done a great job reaching QF. Compared to other greats Serena made QF after her first GS win at US open and Henin she crashed out the 2nd round after her first RG title. Nothing to worry about for Iga for the future
Henin was out with mono after the spring hardcourt season. She played no red clay warmups for the French Open, and skipped Wimbledon. Her only tournaments from mid-April were "must play" events: French Open (GS title defense), Olympics (once in 4 years event), US Open (GS title defense). Miraculously she found it in her to win the Olympics, but she was in terrible form at the other two tournaments.

She then took the rest of the year out and sat out early 2005 too because she wasn't ready to return until the clay court season.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
View attachment 191909
who are 7 other real wta fans like meeeeeeeeeeeee?
Didn't you predict before the tournament that at least 3 or all 4 of the SFists would be from your short list of 7 (there are a total of 0), and got into an argument with me when I pointed out the obvious that it's more realistic to expect at least 2-3 surprise semifinalists (there are 4)? 😉

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Frankly though I think the only ones that were seriously considering her the female Nadal were just two fans, and a few posters that doesn't really like her was calling her female Nadal as well as a sarcasm toward those two specific fans.
BS every one was calling Iga the female Nadal and every one was really believing this. But there is only 1 Nadal, 1 serena etc

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
She should have been feasting using her topspin FH vs. shorter player. So clueless. Trying to hit so hard and reduce the spin on a hot day is just stupid. Also doesn't give her time to use her movement and get back into points.

The depth and spin in 2020 was completely different.
I do agree and I feel her game was much more varied. Don't even think I saw her slice once. Now, she only tries to ball bash and she misses by a mile. The variety is gone and even her drop shots are not good.

Reactions: HiBeeBi and Perun

·
Premium Member
44,797 Posts
This result surprised me. Not because I thought Sakkari didn't have the game to win, but I thought she would flop mentally speaking. Congrats Maria, she's finally getting that overdue slam breakthrough! Poor Iga - disappointing that she lost here, but this will be quite the learning experience for her.

This SF lineup... yeah I'm not sure who I want to win, and who will actually win :p
As I see it, I think Sakkari works hard to be up to the biggest challenges. She enjoys challenges. She wants to prove herself. She may become nervous when she becomes a big favorite without big challenge to be up to.

In that match, she was mentally ready to give the biggest fight of her life, and she played her fiercest tennis, serves, forehands and backhands on fire. She has big shoulders and bounces like a gymnast. She enjoys being challenged and showing her best (she worked hard for that). She's there for that.

Now, is she ready to take the trophy? To become a big favorite? We'll see.

Logic says: the player who could beat Swiatek becomes the favorite. Plain logic.

BUT reflexion says: how about the match ups? What if Sakkari faces a different kind of player, who hits less hard, less deep, more tricky with slices and middle game? Who can break rhythms? And who can be that player? By my view, Zidansek could be the most tricky for her. But also maybe not tricky enough.

Reactions: Matmagix
401 - 420 of 431 Posts