Tennis Forum banner

381 - 400 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yes, another one. Many chances squandered though. Iga is no female Nadal, alas. Rafa (even playing bad) would not squander such chances. I am afraid if Iga won't rather be Kvitova 2.0, with patches of absolutely superb play mixed with terrinble stinkers when Sh$tra appeared like hideous Mr Hyde. I can see patches of that Iga - SH$tiga dualism that are worrying me a bit - so she may finish with 2-3 slams like Petra, but too inconsistent for more.
Hope not

·
Registered
192 Posts
As to playing doubles as an excuse, I don't buy it - Barbs also played doubles - will also be in doubles semis but gave quite different performance against another wunderkind Gauff today...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, another one. Many chances squandered though. Iga is no female Nadal, alas. Rafa (even playing bad) would not squander such chances. I am afraid if Iga won't rather be Kvitova 2.0, with patches of absolutely superb play mixed with terrinble stinkers when Sh$tra appeared like hideous Mr Hyde. I can see patches of that Iga - SH$tiga dualism that are worrying me a bit - so she may finish with 2-3 slams like Petra, but too inconsistent for more.
Why comparing Iga to Nadal ?

Iga has not the insane tospin of the Nadal FH. Nadal FH has more margin and can absorb all attacks.
And Iga has not the tricky slice serve of Nadal (his combo advantage serve + forehand DTL is underrated. It was this formula who gave him his victories against Federer and the others)

·
Registered
192 Posts

Iga has not the insane tospin of the Nadal FH. Nadal FH has more margin and can absorb all attacks.
And Iga has not the tricky slice serve of Nadal (his combo advantage serve + forehand DTL is underrated. It was this formula who gave him his victories against Federer and the others)
Exactly this. If she could produce such topspin, many balls she missed would be in!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Yeah comparing Iga to Nadal should be banned! Iga is Iga.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Iga has a big glaring weakness, handling fast balls. Sakkari won this match because she attacked at every opportunity and didn’t get into long rallies. That was her plan going into the match because typically Sakkari like to have long rallies.
Iga is no Nadal lol.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Iga has a big glaring weakness, handling fast balls. Sakkari won this match because she attacked at every opportunity and didn’t get into long rallies. That was her plan going into the match because typically Sakkari like to have long rallies.
Iga is no Nadal lol.
Kerber with a true tospin - and more powerful - FH would have been the female Nadal with her defensive abilities, or Kvitova with a more defensive game mindset (she has a flatter FH but still heavy and tough to handle)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Kerber with a true tospin - and more powerful - FH would have been the female Nadal with her defensive abilities, or Kvitova with a more defensive game mindset (she has a flatter FH but still heavy and tough to handle)
Yeah Kerber for me has resemblance visually, but Halep was closest in terms of performance on clay. Anyways there is no female Nadal.

·
Banned
43 Posts

I agree, I don't get it. She takes the ball earlier, and has more aggressive positioning and higher risk than Nadal. Djoker may be closer.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I agree, I don't get it. She takes the ball earlier, and has more aggressive positioning and higher risk than Nadal. Djoker may be closer.
Yeah Djoker is closer, but Iga’s strokes break down completely when facing fast balls very much unlike Djoker. Her strength is spanking mid court balls but when opponents inject speed she sprays errors with the western grip.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Iga has not the counter-puncher abilities of Djokovic (it would be Clijsters, or maybe Osaka on HC).
If Iga can combine elements of Nadal and Djokovic game, she would be a force on all surfaces and a true one on clay

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah Djoker is closer, but Iga’s strokes break down completely when facing fast balls very much unlike Djoker. Her strength is spanking mid court balls but when opponents inject speed she sprays errors with the western grip.
As usual here, it's an exaggeration. As I wrote above, Iga sprayed errors in this match when the balls were soft, not even close to any high speeds - like the whole eighth game of the first set. And netted many sitters. I'd rather look for a psychological or mental (maybe even physical) reasons why her form is fluctuating so much from match to match. Iga stayed quite well in rallies although could not finish them as easily as she used to, as Maria handled her very well. So she lost many rallies she usually won. Still, the match was lost just on a few of key points and they were simple unforced errors made without any real pressure. A bit like Kvitova who can play out of this world one match and complete sh$t the next one.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
After seven months since winning her first GS Iga done a great job reaching QF. Compared to other greats Serena made QF after her first GS win at US open and Henin she crashed out the 2nd round after her first RG title. Nothing to worry about for Iga for the future
True.

Everybody forget than Henin crashed early against Garbin in 2004 (even if she was already a USO winner too)

·
Registered
192 Posts
After seven months since winning her first GS Iga done a great job reaching QF. Compared to other greats Serena made QF after her first GS win at US open and Henin she crashed out the 2nd round after her first RG title. Nothing to worry about for Iga for the future
Nice to hear a voice of reason after hours of hateful irrational howling

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
+ she is actually 4th in Race to Shenzen with two titles (WTA1000 + WTA500) and and we are only halfway through the season

nothing to worry even if this loss hurts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
She be 5th the RG champion will move ahead of her come Saturday
oh yeah but its still a good chance to qualify to YEC which would be a good result and im sure Iga will pick some good wins or maybe one more title in next months

as i said it hurts to lose being favorite to win the trophy and having lower ranked opponents in a front of you but its still a good and promising year

381 - 400 of 431 Posts