Tennis Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Sloane will never cease to boggle my mind. I think she’ll be one of the greatest underachievers in the sport. It’s a miracle she even won a slam.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Let's put to rest that the top singles players have to rest as an excuse they don't play doubles at the Slams. Krejcikova is not only playing doubles but she is playing mixed too. And winning at all of them.
The real reason those singles players like Osaka and Serena don't play doubles is they are lazy. Just like they try to play at few tournaments as possible during the year.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sloane had looked super smooth and back to her best. I thought she would ride the wave and raise herself to se off Barbora. However as a big Krejcikova fan, I was really happy she played so well. To be honest, she never let Sloane into the game and despondent Sloane isn’t going to battle like some other players who seem to thrive on that pressure. That quote about how she felt so bad before the match was remarkable - 30mins before the match she was in tears and needed to talk to her psychologist. Goof job doc!

Funniest line was Bara saying it wa s tough match with ups and downs. All up for Bara, all down for Sloane. This was definitely NOT a close up and down match! It was a beat down from Bara. Well done to her, but Gauff will be tough.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
Didn't see the match, but seems that a Czech has finally arrived in the mail for Sloane after beating two Karolinas.

Impressive scoreline & great tournament for Bara: reaching at least QF in three competitions at a single grand slam is a nice feat and not many players are capable of this.

She's now out of the mixed, so good luck to her in the doubles and singles QF. Tough opponents awaiting: Pliskova twins and Cori Gauff, who, like Bara, has just won a clay event and is on a 9-match winning streak. One of those streaks is going to end.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I expected this kind of result 😢

Difficult to imagine how Barbora was so anxious before this match.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Honestly Krejcikova actually kinda reminds me of Scone in a sense that her movement sometimes is just so lackadaisical. If she ends up becoming a top player and going deep consistently I can see her having a very hard time beating consistent and very aggressive players who move her around and don’t give her the time to set up her shots like Iga (I know she just took her to 3), Naomi, Muguruza, Barty, etc. which is comparable to Sloane who had a hard time against players who were similar to her but were superior counterpunchers (Simona/Caroline).

·
Banned
12,739 Posts
Let's put to rest that the top singles players have to rest as an excuse they don't play doubles at the Slams. Krejcikova is not only playing doubles but she is playing mixed too. And winning at all of them.
The real reason those singles players like Osaka and Serena don't play doubles is they are lazy. Just like they try to play at few tournaments as possible during the year.
Serena's doubles or singles career can't be compared to that of Osaka or any other player who doesn't play doubles regularly. Her accolades speaks for herself, and she now can't afford to put her body under much strain. Osaka has hardly played doubles even at ITF level.

Bara was crying before match but found a way to handle it. THIS is the reason why she is on the roll. Because she finally found a way to work with her fear.
Why was she crying? Another Kenin moment?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Serena's doubles or singles career can't be compared to that of Osaka or any other player who doesn't play doubles regularly. Her accolades speaks for herself, and she now can't afford to put her body under much strain. Osaka has hardly played doubles even at ITF level.

Why was she crying? Another Kenin moment?
She woke up and felt miserable no reason really

Reactions: Vil Dit In

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, I should have not left out that Serena did play doubles some of the time earlier in her career. Kudos for that. But didn't Navritilova play doubles as well as singles at an advanced age. And Krejcikova was in singles, doubles and mixed, and she is in semis in singles. So that shows the doubles is not that taxing. They would be working out the days of doubles anyway, and playing doubles more fun and less taxing than a workout.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts