·
Registered
88,335 Posts
Horrible from Sloane. Very sad.

Reactions: Slayla

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think Scone honestly tried her best today. Barbara was playing flawlessly and Scone just lost confidence in her game as the match went on. I think it would've been better for Scone to have used her FH more and blast more shots down the middle of the court because every time she tried to change direction or go for the lines, she missed. Oh well..great tournament for her. You guys are all being too harsh.

·
La nuit je mens
89,859 Posts
10 winners to 19 unforced errors?????
Sorry for you if you look only at the world with stats. Most of Stephens's forced errors were due to amazing shot placement and length. Hell even Stephens' UEs were.

·
Registered
35,077 Posts
I couldn't pay a lot of attention to the match but whenever I watched Sloane would commit a BH unforced error into the net. A really, really flat performance. I wasn't entirely convinced by her level here so far but I definitely expected her to make things closer.

Krejcikova cotinues her stellar year though! First GS QF and still going strong in her third week of tennis now. Clean ballstriking, great variety, good serving and returning. I also love how well all the dark horses are doing this year, Strasbourg/Parma/Belgrade champions are all still going strong.

·
Registered
23,299 Posts
but how? wasn't she so good against pliskova while the czech was hitting 38 unforced?

·
Registered
116,007 Posts
A lot of new faces this deep in a major, and we will see what Krejcikova, Badosa, Gauff and Rybakina can accomplish
Besides Swiatek, it looks wide open

Reactions: charlie-z

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Krejcikova was very good - the same level as against Svitolina in R3, a lot of delightful tennis from her. Stephens was terrible - merely a spectator, I am disappointed in Sloane and I am not even her fan. She did not even try to change anything in the 2nd set, SMH.

Reactions: charlie-z

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I feel sorry for any Sloane fans on the West Coast who stayed up until 2am to watch that (or purposely got up at 5am on the East). I guess at least most of the country would be asleep for the whole one hour or so duration. Back to the usual mess of these past 20+ months or so, although still a better than expected slam for her coming into it, and yes, fair play to Krej, she really is on some roll at the moment.

·
Registered
18,962 Posts
Not enough adaptability for Slow anne and she just needed to put in more to make a real dent into this match. Krej didn't let her.

Krej is a really well rounded player and like Mookie can do it all. FH seems to be her weaker stroke and wish Slow made more of an effort to break down that shot, but she can hit it with shape and inject with pace. BH is so solid. I think she has a realistic shot against Gauff/Jabeur for another shot at Igatha... perhaps she can take her MP this time. Good luck : )

As for Slow gurl, well... she's won 11 matches this clay season, which is a lot more matches than she has won in a long, long time. Hope she can take that confidence heading into the grass, where she historically has struggled. Hope that she can be proud of herself!

Reactions: Stefberg

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Not good enough from Sloane.

She just can’t say, “Well, I guess I’m motivated to play the French.” She needs to take the momentum from the Pliskova and Muchova wins, play a grass court warmup, and try to have a decent Wimbledon.

She can’t go MIA for the next six months and hope for another minirevival.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,725 Posts
I'm quite sad for Stephens. It is a shame to see her tournament end this way. I think she has done really well this last week and she deserves credit for the way she dispatched Pliskova and Muchova. Yes, Sloane wasn't as good today but I believe most of that can be attributed to the brilliant performance of Barbora.

I wondered how these two players who hadn't previously played each other would match up. Now we know. Within a couple of games it was pretty clear Barbora was going to be kryptonite to Sloane. The way these two match up I wonder if Sloane will ever gets a win against Barbora. Perhaps she might on another surface, but having watched this match, I'm not so sure.

As for Barbora, what can one say? She doesn't seem to cease to impress. This was probably her best Grand Slam performance yet. On this form she looks like the player with the best shot at beating Swiatek and going on to win Roland Garros, should Iga falter. Right now I honestly think Barbora must be considered the 2nd favourite for the title. She has so much going for her in her game. The serve is strong. The return of serve can be vicious. Her ability to hit her backhand flat, with topspin or with slice all with great skill make her backhand as good as any player in the game right now. The volleying skills reflect her great ability as a doubles player and her forehand is as crisp as they come. She is going to be tough to beat.

I should add, not only is Barbora playing very well, but she is playing some beautiful tennis to watch as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry for you if you look only at the world with stats. Most of Stephens's forced errors were due to amazing shot placement and length. Hell even Stephens' UEs were.
I actually don't always look at stats. My favourite match of the tournament was the Bogdan Badosa epic, and those two both had negative winner ratios. But this match has absolutely no physicality or intensity and lasted barley an hour.

And I'm not saying barbs played badly, she was good, but she clearly wasn't flawless, its just that Sloane was atrocious.

·
Banned
77 Posts
It took a few tourneys but the "real" Sloane finally showed up. Hilarious how some people thought she was on her way back after beating Muchova (never got past the 2nd rd. prior to this yr.) Either that or the prospect of facing Coco in the next rd. causes Sloane to 💩 herself. ( 1st that 2nd set choke against Wang & now this atrocity.)
Back to reality..

41 - 60 of 115 Posts