Tennis Forum banner

301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Congrats Kayla and Jenny. You both had a fantastic run here. You deserved to win here. Fleri, thanks for being my partner. We both had so much fun on court. Today was not our day. But this is tennis and I think to reach another final after the Australian Open is not bad. Now let us focus on Wimbledon.

·
Registered
23,775 Posts
First title and you are a Grand Slam champion now! :love: Congrats Sienna!
Bianka! :( Three finals here in the last four years you should be proud of yourself!

Anwar/DeBloque :eek:!!

I believe I should've won against Campbell and Harlow so Kitahara took the title from my hands :confused:
I would have beaten both Sienna or Kitahara in the final had it not been for Bianka 😂

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anwar, DeBloque Steal Roland Garros Doubles Title

In two short weeks, the tennis universe got to watch Jenny DeBloque grow up before their eyes. The 18 year old made her FWTT debut just a couple months ago, stepping onto the clay courts that she grew up playing on. DeBloque surprised a couple opponents early in the clay season, but her beginner's luck seemed to fizzle out, and she quickly found herself being outmatched by veteran opponents. Perhaps it was frustration, or perhaps it was petulance that caused DeBloque to publicly feud with FWTT stalwarts, Anastasia Nemyeva and Vittoria Perez. The French player accused the two of being cold and rude before describing an unfriendly environment in the locker room from the majority of her competitors.

Fast forward to her post match interview after the French Open, and DeBloque sounds like a different girl. Such is life in the dramatic world of a teenager, though. Her change of attitude all started after after her opening singles match at Roland Garros. Despite playing the top ten superstar, Piper Elliot, the hometown heroine drew a modest crowd initially. A surprisingly aggressive first set of tennis from the teenager ended in a tiebreaker. With confidence, Jenny put away the first set over her more experienced opponent. Word got out on the grounds, and suddenly the fans were piling into Suzanne Lenglen Court to cheer on the Parisian upstart. Elliot, who had a history of a struggling in the slams, wasn't going to give up easily, though. The two battled back in forth in a tight second set, again ending in a tiebreaker. DeBloque was showing none of the nerves of a rookie, as she set up match point with a brilliant backhand winner down the line to take a 6-5 lead. But one tight point was all Piper needed to get back into the match, as DeBloque sprayed an easy return of serve well wide. At 6-6, Elliot approached the net to finish off the point, but DeBloque hit a brilliant lob over her head. With a big fist pump, Jenny believed she had set up a second match point, but a late call of "long" rang out over the court. A hawkeye replay proved the call to be correct, and Elliot won the tiebreaker and later would win the match.

DeBloque exited the court looking devastated, but entered her post match interview much more cheerful. It seems that her opponent had held a good conversation with her after the match, and DeBloque took it to heart. For the rest of the tournament, DeBloque and her spunky doubles partner in crime, Kayla Anwar, were all giggles, partying, and self-deprecation. But the lack of stress seemed to work, as they kept winning tight match after tight match, eventually finding themselves in the finals, taking on the ultimate veterans: Fleri Hingisafrillia and Sabine Graf. In a somewhat easy victory, the youngsters outlasted the old guard to bring home their first grand slam title.

We were fortunate enough to have a quick sit-down interview with Ms. DeBloque:

Q: First off, congratulations on the title! Did you expect to win a grand slam title in your first grand slam tournament?
A: Merci, merci. No, I definitely didn't think I'd be walking out of my first grand slam holding a trophy and saying I'm a Roland Garros champion. I know it was just women's doubles, but still, this is surreal to win my home title in my debut and to do it alongside such a good friend as Kayla.

Q. You seemed to look at ease in the finals, having a bit easier match than the rest of the tournament. How did you and Kayla keep your nerves despite playing in your first slam final, and especially against legends such as Graf and Hingisafrillia?
A. Well to be honest, I think this is where being a rookie helps. I didn't know all that they had achieved until afterwards. In fact, I didn't really know who Graf was, and Fleri I knew was the number one player, but didn't realize just how dominant she has been over her career. We actually walked past them in the hallway before the match and Kayla said "there they are", and I was like, "Huh?? Where?". I actually thought they were like someone's grandmas coming to cheer them on. I mean, I had seen Fleri before in pictures, but apparently she's really good at photoshop. Giggles, no, no, it's amazing how well they played out there all tournament.

Q. As the tournament went on your attitude about being on tour seemed to change. Do you think that's true? And if so, what led to that change?
A. Yeah, I think winning helps laughs. I think honestly, after the match with Piper I was really frustrated with myself, because I felt like I talked myself into playing tennis I didn't normally play, and while it caught her by surprise, she adjusted. Losing a ton can be really demoralizing, so I was definitely feeling down.

Piper helped out a ton, though. She was super sweet to me after the match in the locker room and gave me some good advice moving forward. It was like I had gained a friend. Then a lot of other girls were being really supportive in the hallways and when I'd pass by them on the grounds. It definitely felt like I had gained some respect and that they saw I wasn't just a newcomer who didn't care, but someone that really wants to do well. I think that feeling has really given me a fresh perspective and while I'm not feeling great or confident about leaving the clay courts for the rest of the year, I know that I'm still learning and I am going to give myself some time to figure it out.

Q. You expressed issues with a couple of veteran players on tour. How do you feel about them now?
A. Well, umm, Anastasia and I are fine, I think. I stepped back and understood where she was coming from. I still think her attitude was a bit strong, but everyone is different in how they interact and I was probably being too sensitive. Perez. Don't like her. She's rude and obnoxious and walks around like she's above everybody else. It's sad, really, because I think her whole life is based off whatever she apparently achieved years and years ago. It shows the importance of being well rounded and having other hobbies outside of tennis.

Q. You and Kayla seem to get along very well on the court---it's almost as if you're sharing a permanent match long inside joke every time you step onto the court. What's your relationship like off it?

A. Laughs I'm so glad I found Kayla in this sport or else I might have already quit. She's fun and makes me excited to go out on court with her. We get along great off the court, and are always joking around. We spent quite a few nights in different Parisian discotheque these past two weeks. And we are making a quick spur of the moment trip to Bora Bora before our matches in Nottingham giggles.

·
Registered
23,475 Posts
What an exciting RG! Congrats to all winners !

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Anwar, DeBloque Steal Roland Garros Doubles Title

View attachment 177072

In two short weeks, the tennis universe got to watch Jenny DeBloque grow up before their eyes. The 18 year old made her FWTT debut just a couple months ago, stepping onto the clay courts that she grew up playing on. DeBloque surprised a couple opponents early in the clay season, but her beginner's luck seemed to fizzle out, and she quickly found herself being outmatched by veteran opponents. Perhaps it was frustration, or perhaps it was petulance that caused DeBloque to publicly feud with FWTT stalwarts, Anastasia Nemyeva and Vittoria Perez. The French player accused the two of being cold and rude before describing an unfriendly environment in the locker room from the majority of her competitors.

Fast forward to her post match interview after the French Open, and DeBloque sounds like a different girl. Such is life in the dramatic world of a teenager, though. Her change of attitude all started after after her opening singles match at Roland Garros. Despite playing the top ten superstar, Piper Elliot, the hometown heroine drew a modest crowd initially. A surprisingly aggressive first set of tennis from the teenager ended in a tiebreaker. With confidence, Jenny put away the first set over her more experienced opponent. Word got out on the grounds, and suddenly the fans were piling into Suzanne Lenglen Court to cheer on the Parisian upstart. Elliot, who had a history of a struggling in the slams, wasn't going to give up easily, though. The two battled back in forth in a tight second set, again ending in a tiebreaker. DeBloque was showing none of the nerves of a rookie, as she set up match point with a brilliant backhand winner down the line to take a 6-5 lead. But one tight point was all Piper needed to get back into the match, as DeBloque sprayed an easy return of serve well wide. At 6-6, Elliot approached the net to finish off the point, but DeBloque hit a brilliant lob over her head. With a big fist pump, Jenny believed she had set up a second match point, but a late call of "long" rang out over the court. A hawkeye replay proved the call to be correct, and Elliot won the tiebreaker and later would win the match.

DeBloque exited the court looking devastated, but entered her post match interview much more cheerful. It seems that her opponent had held a good conversation with her after the match, and DeBloque took it to heart. For the rest of the tournament, DeBloque and her spunky doubles partner in crime, Kayla Anwar, were all giggles, partying, and self-deprecation. But the lack of stress seemed to work, as they kept winning tight match after tight match, eventually finding themselves in the finals, taking on the ultimate veterans: Fleri Hingisafrillia and Sabine Graf. In a somewhat easy victory, the youngsters outlasted the old guard to bring home their first grand slam title.

We were fortunate enough to have a quick sit-down interview with Ms. DeBloque:

Q: First off, congratulations on the title! Did you expect to win a grand slam title in your first grand slam tournament?
A: Merci, merci. No, I definitely didn't think I'd be walking out of my first grand slam holding a trophy and saying I'm a Roland Garros champion. I know it was just women's doubles, but still, this is surreal to win my home title in my debut and to do it alongside such a good friend as Kayla.

Q. You seemed to look at ease in the finals, having a bit easier match than the rest of the tournament. How did you and Kayla keep your nerves despite playing in your first slam final, and especially against legends such as Graf and Hingisafrillia?
A. Well to be honest, I think this is where being a rookie helps. I didn't know all that they had achieved until afterwards. In fact, I didn't really know who Graf was, and Fleri I knew was the number one player, but didn't realize just how dominant she has been over her career. We actually walked past them in the hallway before the match and Kayla said "there they are", and I was like, "Huh?? Where?". I actually thought they were like someone's grandmas coming to cheer them on. I mean, I had seen Fleri before in pictures, but apparently she's really good at photoshop. Giggles, no, no, it's amazing how well they played out there all tournament.

Q. As the tournament went on your attitude about being on tour seemed to change. Do you think that's true? And if so, what led to that change?
A. Yeah, I think winning helps laughs. I think honestly, after the match with Piper I was really frustrated with myself, because I felt like I talked myself into playing tennis I didn't normally play, and while it caught her by surprise, she adjusted. Losing a ton can be really demoralizing, so I was definitely feeling down.

Piper helped out a ton, though. She was super sweet to me after the match in the locker room and gave me some good advice moving forward. It was like I had gained a friend. Then a lot of other girls were being really supportive in the hallways and when I'd pass by them on the grounds. It definitely felt like I had gained some respect and that they saw I wasn't just a newcomer who didn't care, but someone that really wants to do well. I think that feeling has really given me a fresh perspective and while I'm not feeling great or confident about leaving the clay courts for the rest of the year, I know that I'm still learning and I am going to give myself some time to figure it out.

Q. You expressed issues with a couple of veteran players on tour. How do you feel about them now?
A. Well, umm, Anastasia and I are fine, I think. I stepped back and understood where she was coming from. I still think her attitude was a bit strong, but everyone is different in how they interact and I was probably being too sensitive. Perez. Don't like her. She's rude and obnoxious and walks around like she's above everybody else. It's sad, really, because I think her whole life is based off whatever she apparently achieved years and years ago. It shows the importance of being well rounded and having other hobbies outside of tennis.

Q. You and Kayla seem to get along very well on the court---it's almost as if you're sharing a permanent match long inside joke every time you step onto the court. What's your relationship like off it?

A. Laughs I'm so glad I found Kayla in this sport or else I might have already quit. She's fun and makes me excited to go out on court with her. We get along great off the court, and are always joking around. We spent quite a few nights in different Parisian discotheque these past two weeks. And we are making a quick spur of the moment trip to Bora Bora before our matches in Nottingham giggles.
"discotheque" o_O o_O
May the priest in the confessional bare the amount of sins we committed for the past few weeks
Amazing write-up tho! Love it <3

301 - 307 of 307 Posts