23,088 Posts
Yes, you should send. My points are terrible :rolleyes:

Carebear/A.Zverev for mixed
You've been doing better than me in singles lately, so.... :SNE:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

TYLER-MALONE ARRIVES IN PARIS CONFIDENT BUT NERVOUS AND WITH A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

Defending champion, American Josephine Tyler-Malone arrived in Paris this morning, and was all smiles for the camera ahead of her defence of her very first Grand Slam title at the French Open. The teenager, who turned 19 a few weeks ago, said she was looking forward to the challenge.

Last year, Tyler-Malone, was ranked No.23 and no-one was predicting she would be the one lifting the trophy on the final day. However, the gutsy Californian produced a slew of upsets to not only win her first Grand Slam title, but actually her first singles title of any kind on the FWTT tour.

In the first round, she recovered from 0-6 0-3 down to defeat Slovenia Tina Sanchez. She then stunned World No.1 Fleri Hingisafrilia 0-6 6-2 7-5 to reach her very first Grand Slam quarterfinal. She then outlasted fellow teens China’s Li Bingjie and New Zealander Shaitan Reinga to reach her very first Grand Slam final. (Side note: What ever happened to Li?).

Playing her first Grand Slam final, she was the underdog against veteran, Bianka Harlow. Harlow won the first set 6-3 and was a break-up in set two and seemingly on her way to finally winning her first well-earned Grand Slam title. However, Tyler-Malone fought back and eventually won a thrilling, epic match 3-6 7-5 7-5 in over 3hrs of intense drama.

Tyler-Malone soared to No.13 in the rankings, and then she continued her climb, reaching her second Tour final at Tokyo (losing in three tight sets to Miranda Frost); she ended 2018 at No.9 in the rankings and played her first FWTT finals.

She continued her rise in 2019, winning titles in Brisbane, Doha and Acapulco she has reached a career-high of No.5 on the Rankings and comes into Roland Garros seeded No.6.

We sat down with laid-back American for a chat.

Q: How does it feel to be back here, back were it started?

JTM: Yeah, it feels great. You know, the memories of last year came flooding back as I walked in the venue. You know, even though things have changed here, I got those goosebumps as I walked in.

Q: Are you nervous about defending the title?

JTM: Of course (Laughing). You know, it’s mixed. I’m excited to be back, but at the same time, there is a lot of pressure. Not just ranking points, but you know, people will be looking to see if last year was a fluke or if i’m really a contender. But i’m just gonna go out there and try my best.

Q: Are you worried about losing first round?

JTM: I am now (laughing). I mean yeah that would be for sure, the worst case scenario, but… if that happens so be it. You know, the Tour is very tough. Everyone is capable of beating everyone. The draw will be interesting and I won’t take anyone lightly. I will just go out and there and give it my all.

Q: You haven’t played great on clay this year, is that a concern?

JTM: No, not really. I mean, i didn’t play well last year either. Apart from here of course. I’ve had some close matches, and that’s the main thing, getting practice, match play. You know, this is still my worse surface, even though I won her last year.

Q: Who do you think is the favourite?

JTM: Well… I don’t know. The FWTT has been so exciting this past year. We have seen some big, big names retire and leave the Tour. You know, and it seams like Perez is retiring here. Saikikimbondwe retired but is then playing here, so who knows. Of course, there has also been some talented new players coming through too. Nemayeva, Casanova, Frost have all been playing so well on clay. I don’t really know if there is a favourite.

Q: Finally, what really happened between you and Barbosa?

JTM: (Laughing): No comment!!!

Q: Okay, so do you have a new doubles partner lined up?

JTM: Actually... yes and you get the exclusive on that. I am thrilled, and honoured to announce that I will be teaming up with FWTT legend Jennifer Casanova... starting at Roland Garros.

Q: Wow that will be a strong team. How did this happen? When?

JTM: Well you know, Jennifer, has been a mentor to me, ever since I joined the tour. At Fed Cup we discussed player together more in view of the Olympics next year... and then we both kinda found ourselves free at the right time. Perez retiring; me and Anna playing like shit. So hear we are. I’m really excited.

Q: Can we expect big things from you two at Roland Garros?

JTM: Well, you know, you may need to give us some time to gel, we only played Fed Cup a few times and it wasn’t that great. Ha, maybe Paris is too soon but hey, we will give it a go!

…and with that Tyler-Malone disappeared into the players locker room.

·
63,404 Posts
Vittoria has decided not to enter the doubles event. It's just weird to pair with some random player that is not Jennifer Casanova in her final tournament.

She will focus on singles only :cheer:

·
Registered
23,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Vittoria has decided not to enter the doubles event. It's just weird to pair with some random player that is not Jennifer Casanova in her final tournament.

She will focus on singles only :cheer:

Awwww thanks for the kind words :kiss:

But I’m sure you wanna play mixed doubles, e.g. Adam Russo?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,441 Posts
Doubles with Campbell

I send I think

Mixed with K.Lee (SIN)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Doubles with Malygina, Mixed with Nina West.

41 - 60 of 303 Posts