Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 833 Posts

·
Milk and honey
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allez! Obviously thoughts are now going towards the French Open.

The Clay Court Season 2018 thread is now going in that direction and I'm assuming everyone wants a different thread for a Slam? As the only other thread I created in SS was for the US Open (and she won 3 matches there!) I was hoping I could create the thread for the French Open :unsure:

Anyway, draw comes out in 4 days I think and the qualies will start (tomorrow?) so I thought creating it early would give everyone a place to discuss their thoughts about the upcoming slam for Maria here :D

P.S. My eternal apologies for the pun in the thread title.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I actually really like the thread title :lol:

If Maria can bring the same game and determination, along with a working serve, she could do some serious damage.
Let's hope she gets a kind draw now that she's a seeded player.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I see her hitting partner is already in France, don't know if that means she is there yet but seems likely.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It was clear that she hadn’t peaked yet in Rome yet. She has another gear to go up to. She’ll have to work on her serve and get used to the condition and bloody not get sick in Paris!

Her ground game can definitely power her through but she needs the serve consistency to make her a deep run.

Never doubt her determination - she is ultra focused even she is tired in Rome. That’s very telling that she wanted it and is ready for it. Hard work pays off!

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Look, if she's going to win a slam again, her serve needs to be brilliant, yes we can talk about all the improvements on BH, dropshots, returns, but if she serves like she did against halep, she might scrape through some rounds, but she won't win, remember when she won the French last time, she got so many more free points against her opponents in those 3-setters (except Stosur), this aided her to come through, same as Ostaprnko and Barty in Rome.

I hope she realises the steps she's made in the other parts of the game, and works on getting power and accuracy back in her serve before the start of the Tournament.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Besides being healthy and her game coming together, she also needs to right draw.
Having to play nothing but grinders, or grudge matches will be tough on more than just her body.

As much as I enjoyed Madrid and (especially) Rome, I'm still gonna take it one match at a time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Look, if she's going to win a slam again, her serve needs to be brilliant, yes we can talk about all the improvements on BH, dropshots, returns, but if she serves like she did against halep, she might scrape through some rounds, but she won't win, remember when she won the French last time, she got so many more free points against her opponents in those 3-setters (except Stosur), this aided her to come through, same as Ostaprnko and Barty in Rome.

I hope she realises the steps she's made in the other parts of the game, and works on getting power and accuracy back in her serve before the start of the Tournament.
I keep on hearing this but it couldn't be more far from the truth. Her serve in FO 2014 was trash and she still won.

What she needs is consistency, fight, and stamina - which is still a big question mark. But things are looking up since recently as it seems she's found her groundies, movement and return.

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Her serve was up and down the last few weeks, but it's definitely not as bad as it was during the Halep match. I'm sure that was because her legs weren't working anymore at that point.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Her serve was up and down the last few weeks, but it's definitely not as bad as it was during the Halep match. I'm sure that was because her legs weren't working anymore at that point.
yup, starting from the second set was basically treeing on all of her groundies and couldn't physically extend the rallies anymore. That tells you a lot about the Help matchup, as with a normal working serve she would have disposed of romanian as usual. She will have extra rest day in Paris between matches, so fatigue shouldn't really be a factor there, unless she decides to drag every single match of hers to 3 hrs on average again lol...

1 - 20 of 833 Posts