Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Documentaries about the French are rare... some finally appear on YouTube it seems. Watch it before it gets deleted... ;)

·
25,372 Posts
Mille thanks Hugues!:worship:

Monica Seles stole my heart that spring. I like Steffi just fine, but my tendency is to root for the underdog.

In strolled Seles like a breath of fresh air. Her victory in Berlin was a sign-then there were a couple of tough matches on the way to the final-but what a corker her match with Graf was.

Her hitting was SO fierce off both sides-unheard of til then. Steffi won the most brilliant point of the match with a drop shot as I recall.

Uncharacteristically Graf kind of froze up and choked a bit in the tiebreak, and I'll never forget Seles shipping her merry way to her seat on winning the set to the roar of the crowd.

How different from 1992-when the Parisians were solidly in Graf's corner!

·
25,372 Posts
Scattered thoughts on watching...

Hideous clothing......

Love the sound of feet moving on the clay. A blind person could tell who had great footwork by listening to the sliding.

Nice to see Mercedes Paz--Sanchez looked lie she was moving backwards the whole match, so defensive. Her little ballholder was a big trend at the time. And how I hated seeing her mother staring---I can imagine her putting a Catalonian curse on Arantxa's opponents...LOL.

Seles vs Kelesi was entertaining as hell despite the moonballs and grunting. What a feisty little thing "Hurricane" Helen was.

THE point of the event is in the documentary at: 1:08:28 !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
40,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:clap2: Loved your enthusiasm Rollo.

Loved to watch all those young faces of 1990 too, men and women. As it says in the documentary - which is more a string of "morceaux choisis" as it's titled - it was like the year of a new generation on the rise. Monica was so cute!

There is bit too much focus on the Frenchies, but I can't deny the game of Leconte had panache!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts