Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Toronto is one of two tournaments marking the beginning of the Carpet Season. Generally the smaller of the two events (the other being Chicago), this year Toronto has drawn a field every bit as impressive as its American counterpart. The tournament's depth promises many enticing matches all week long.

Leading the field is American Jennifer Capriati. Though her hardcourt record left alot to be desired (1-3 overall), she has vowed to improve her dedication to the game, sharpen her scouting reports, and adjust her game to each opponent she plays. If she can follow through on her promises, she is the clear favorite to win this title. Either way, expect her bazooka forhand to get her through at least to the semis this week.

The week's second seed is the Russian Elena Dementieva. Currently ranked number 9 in the world, the Russian hopes to make a decent showing in these next two weeks to secure a spot in New York at the Chase Championships. A Semi-Finalist at Wimbledon, and a Quarter-Finalist at the US Open, Dementieva's combination of speed and power make her dangerous on nearly any surface, but her limited attention span means that she gets distracted easily, and often looses matches and tournaments she should, on paper, win. As with Capriati, if she can keep her focus all week, she is a real threat to win the title. If not, she might go down in the first round:eek: .

Japan's Ai Sugiyama took off a few weeks during the hardcourt season to tend to her hospitalized coach, but she is back in full force this week. Unlike the top two seeds, Sugiyama's concentration has never been questioned, and she is virtually guranteed to win a match or two this week. Her main problem is her lack of power, which makes beating a sstring of top players such as Dementieva and Capriati in later rounds very difficult. However, she can never be counted out of a tournament, and should she catch Dementieva or Capriati off guard (or not have to face them at all), she has a chance to win.

The week's fourth seed is Alexandra Stevenson. While Russia's Dinara Safina is actually ranked higher than this young American, her recent form, and her late entry, caused tournament directors to forfeit Safina's seed in favor of Stevenson. Recently, the American has shown great progress in her game--winning the title in Houston Texas just two weeks ago over the retired Elena Bovina. Though she lost to an on fire Amelie Mauresmo at the Open, Stevenson's newly improved game should work wonders on the fast carpet, and she has a chance to really do some damage to the field. Winning the whole thing may be a stretch, but stranger things have happened to Alexandra. (remember her Wimbledon title last year;) )

Who will win Toronto? Follow the draw over the next week for the one and only answer.

Singles Main Draw
http://www.tournawiz.com/16draw.php?id=36&uid=mboyle

Singles Main Draw
http://www.tournawiz.com/8draw.php?id=37&uid=mboyle

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Why do I keep getting seeded players in the first round? :sad:

Flavia, you know what we discussed. :angel:

Oh, and thanks Matt for making it two tournaments a week again. :)

that's: Pennetta/Sanchez-Vicario

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I misunderstood Elena Bovina. I thought she retired, but she hasn't yet. So the draw will be redone with Bovina as the second seed:wavey: .

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
vvamos Gaby!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Um Matt, Tanasugarn will face Elena or me? :confused:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Marion Bartoli's player has virtually no access to the board, Lindsay Davenport will play a qualifying match vs. Bartoli. The winner will then advance to play Stevenson:wavey: .

·
Banned
89 Posts
BOVINA IN TORONTO

Q: Lena...

LENA: Fuck you... I'm not listening to your stupid questions today.

No more of me being nice. I hate being fake, and it cost me in the US Open. I lost in the 1st round! The 1st round! To a stupid fucking Asian!

No more of that... fuck everyone on this tour... fuck Tour Director Matt, fuck all the players, fuck Jennifer Capriati's arrogant ass, fuck my doubles partner Alex. I hate everyone here, and I want to crush you all.

Fuck off.

End interview.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jennifer Capriati (USA) vs. Maria Kirilenko (RUS)

First Set, Capriati to Serve:
1-0 Capriati (CT)
2-0 Capriati

2-1 Capriati
2-2

3-2 Capriati
4-2 Capriati
5-2 Capriati
Game and First Set: Jennifer Capriati

Jennifer Capriati (USA) leads Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 6-2

Second Set, Capriati to Serve:
1-0 Capriati (CT)
1-1 (CT)
1-2 Kirilenko (CT)

2-2
2-3 Kirilenko
2-4 Kirilenko (CT)
2-5 Kirilenko

3-5 Kirilenko
4-5
5-5

5-6 Kirilenko
6-6
TIEBREAK, Capriati to Serve:
0-1 Kirilenko
0-2 Kirilenko
0-3 Kirilenko

1-3 Kirilenko
1-4 Kirilenko
1-5 Kirilenko
1-6 Kirilenko

2-6 Kirilenko
3-6 Kirilenko
4-6 Kirilenko

Game and Second Set: Maria Kirilenko

Jennifer Capriati (USA) tied with Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 6-2; 6-7(4)

Third and Final Set, Kirilenko to Serve:
1-0 Capriati (CT)
2-0 Capriati
3-0 Capriati

3-1 Capriati
3-2 Capriati
3-3
3-4 Kirilenko

4-4
5-4 Capriati
Game, Set, and Match: Jennifer Capriati

Jennifer Capriati (USA) def.Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 6-2; 6-7(4); 6-4

This is a match Jenny would have won 6-2; 6-2 in the first half of the year. For some reason, she is making things more complicated than they need to be. Today it was as if she was trying to compromise between playing a power game and a thinking game, and she ended up being neither. Her consistency in the rallies wasn't there, her forehand was off and noticibly less powerful than normal (in her power games), and her fitness still hasn't improved to allow her to close out matches deep into sets. If she was going after a power game today, then she really needs to work with her coach on focusing on six key games to put all her energy into winning, and just try for winner after winner. Luckily for the American, Kirilenko was playing just as badly. Abandoning her counter punching strategy in favor of a more powerful game, the Russian kissed away her chances to win by not capitalizing on Capriati's massive UFEs (64 in total to 22 winners). Kirilenko should also have tried to be super aggressive in just 6 games, or put at least an ounce of energy into each and every game while turning the heat (power) way up for two or three games a set. Instead, she copied Jennifer's game, but failed to pick up the American's heart. Though she made similar statistics (62 UFEs to 16 winners), Jenny played the big points better and looked determined to win.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jelena Dokic (CRO) vs. Monica Seles (PAK)

First Set, Seles to Serve:
0-1 Seles
1-1
2-1 Dokic

2-2
2-3 Seles

3-3
3-4 Seles
4-4
5-4 Dokic
Game and First Set: Jelena Dokic

Jelena Dokic (CRO) leads Monica Seles (PAK) 6-4

Second Set, Seles to Serve:
1-0 Dokic
2-0 Dokic

2-1 Dokic
2-2
2-3 Seles

3-3
4-3 Dokic
5-3 Dokic
Game, Set, and Match: Jelena Dokic

Jelena Dokic (CRO) def. Monica Seles (PAK) 6-4; 6-3

Monica really struggled out there today. She tried like hell to be an aggressive power player, but she unfortunately spread her points over 8 games instead of 6. Had she really gone after her shots, she could have won, but still, Jelena Dokic is a really top rate player as long as she is not in a grand slam.:eek: She likes to take total control of the rallies ASAP until she builds up a nice lead, at which point she just lets you self destruct. While I would love to see her be a bit more aggressive at times (with her points, pm me for details if you want) and maybe finish off the point at net, she is still playing very good tennis.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alexandra Stevenson (USA) vs. Lindsay Davenport (USA)

First Set, Stevenson to Serve:
1-0 Stevenson
2-0 Stevenson
3-0 Stevenson (CT)

3-1 Stevenson
3-2 Stevenson

4-2 Stevenson
5-2 Stevenson

5-3 Stevenson
Game and First Set: Alexandra Stevenson

Alexandra Stevenson (USA) leads Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-3

Second Set, Davenport to Serve:
1-0 Stevenson
1-1
1-2 Davenport
1-3 Davenport
1-4 Davenport
1-5 Davenport

2-5 Davenport
3-5 Davneport
4-5 Davenport
5-5
6-5 Stevenson
Game, Set, and Match: Alexandra Stevenson

Alexandra Stevenson (USA) def. Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-3; 7-5

Alex's game is getting to be much more consistent. I would still like her to maybe be a little more aggressive in one game per set (perhaps add half of the points from one of her current "power games" to another existing power game), she is at the point where she is not going to go down easily to lower ranked players. However, if she wants to consistently challenge and play with the top, she is going to change her strategy (between counter puncher, power player, and tactician/ thinking player) for each match, as the top players are where they are from hard work, good scouting, and ability to play all three styles (sure they may prefer one over the other, but they can do what it takes to win). As for Lindsay, the same could be applied, but especially at the beginning, alot of the game is fiddling around with your strategy, and being patient. Your time will come eventually, it just usually takes an entire season (not a year, just our schedule) to really blossom.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Iva Majoli def. Ai Sugiyama w/o So much for coming back Dracula:p ! I don't know if you just didn't realize it, but I never got your points:eek: .

1 - 20 of 74 Posts