Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By HARRY MILTNE
.c The Associated Press

ST. POELTEN, Austria (May 24) -- Top-seeded Andy Roddick beat Russia's Nikolay Davydenko 6-3, 6-2 in the final of the Raiffeisen Grand Prix on Saturday for his first ATP title of the year.

Roddick won his sixth career title in the clay-court event leading to next week's French Open, and won a tournament outside the United States for the first time since taking a juniors title in Australia.

Roddick used a serve-and-volley game to control the match from the outset, and dispatched Davydenko in 63 minutes.

"He is great when you are hitting hard,'' Roddick said. "I tried to make him run and give him difficult balls to play.''

Davydenko, a two-time winner this year who had not lost a set in the tournament, had no answer for Roddick's shots.

"I just tried to keep the balls in, because his serve was so strong. I could not do much. My passing shots did not work like in the previous games here,'' Davydenko said. "I made too many mistakes to win today.''

Davydenko had his first break in the second set at 1-4, but Roddick countered with a break.

Roddick, who last won outside the United States in the juniors Grand Slam tournament in Melbourne, was pleased to win his first tournament in Europe.

"It's a little bit of a monkey off my back to get my first win over here,'' he said. "I have never played this well in Europe. I am very happy to have won here. I did not expect it.''

Roddick, ranked No. 6 in the world, said he was not looking ahead to the French Open.

"You have to try win wherever you are, and this week I was here,'' he said. "But it was a great preparation for Paris, and I am confident I can also go far there.''

Roddick has failed to advance past the third round in two attempts at the French Open, which begins Monday.

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
omg ........ now we got a guaranteed Potato vs Bobblehead semi for sure now :eek:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
lmao....congrats on beating players ranked 30 or below.

Reactions: vaiva

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Thanks for the small favors, Rebecca. :)

Andy's game is improving and maturing, but he has a way to go yet. From what he says, I'm sure he knows that. His on court behavior is sometimes overbearing, but his post match interviews are self-depricating and gracious to his opponents.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
starr said:
Thanks for the small favors, Rebecca. :)

Andy's game is improving and maturing, but he has a way to go yet. From what he says, I'm sure he knows that. His on court behavior is sometimes overbearing, but his post match interviews are self-depricating and gracious to his opponents.
Yes, I agree with you. He's usually very modest in his interviews.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Interesting... not the toughest field, but in his own words the monkey is off his back. But really, looking at how well he was playing last year at this time, I'm sure he'd swap a small tournament win like St. Poelten for good results in the Masters Series, which is what he had in Monte Carlo, Rome and Hamburg last year. Mind you, he followed that up with a first-round exit in Paris, so presumably the pattern will be reversed this time round...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
About Roddick's draw - I'm still harbouring the far-fetched hope that Schalken can beat both him and Gonzalez en route to the quarters. But I know that such a result would require Gonzalez to be playing at his absolute worst and Roddick to have picked up another injury. Stranger things have happened...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Rebecca said:
I would love Schalken in the quarters, since I feel that Ferrero would have a much better chance against him than Gonzo. That is, if Gonzales was hot...if he's cold, I'm pretty sure that I could beat him ;)
Judging by the two wins Gonzalez has had over Ferrero, you'd better hope it's Schalken, because Ferrero always makes him hot (in a tennis sense...). Ferrero never seems to do well against players who can outpower him on the forehand, e.g. El Aynaoui and also Gonzalez, who evidently loves Ferrero trying to blast him off court and responds by doing it twice as well.

When they played in Basel, Ferrero got a break in the first game of the last set, then Gonzalez won six games in a row during which Ferrero was a complete spectator; he was getting returns hammered past him on practically every single point, and his forehand looked tiny in comparison to Gonzalez. But I'm probably just mentioning all this to deliberately try and upset your glee at Ferrero's easy draw, so don't mind me.

Besides, that's if Ferrero even makes it to the quarters - don't forget he might have to dig deep during a tough third-round encounter with accomplished clay-courter Tim Henman. ;)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Right...that match against Henman really scares me...I'd just rather not talk about it!

When I was gleeful over Ferrero's "easy" draw, I was really just noting the seeds, and who wasn't there. No Gaudio, no Guga, no Younes, etc. At least not in his particular quarter.

As far as seeds he could have gotten, Roddick is by far the least threatening out of himself, Coria, Nalbandian, and Federer. Henman is, well.... as I said, I don't want to talk about it!

Anyhow, I've made note of Gonzo's place in the draw, and we'll see whether or not that QF takes place. Both have some work cut out for them before hand, so who knows.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not one of the people hoping that Ferrero falls early, or one of the deluded correspondents to Wertheim's column last week who suggested that he would choke if he played Sampras at Roland Garros (as if the match would be that close in the first place). If he does win it this year, that's fine by me... come to think of it, I would only root against him in the final if he came up against any of my favourites or someone like Corretja, who still hasn't won here. But that ain't likely, really.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Yes, congrats to Roddick....

Hendouble said:
Interesting... not the toughest field, but in his own words the monkey is off his back. But really, looking at how well he was playing last year at this time, I'm sure he'd swap a small tournament win like St. Poelten for good results in the Masters Series, which is what he had in Monte Carlo, Rome and Hamburg last year. Mind you, he followed that up with a first-round exit in Paris, so presumably the pattern will be reversed this time round...
I'm sure maybe he would think this way...but, us Roddick fans are getting a lil desperate for a title..yes any title..since it's been over a year long drought. :eek: ;)

In my mind, Roddick probably would prefer having a title over going deep in the Masters as well at this moment. :confused: ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Good point, winning at any level is always good for your confidence. But still, he was having wins on clay over Gonzalez, Pavel, Robredo and Schuettler last year, and he's had nothing approaching that this year. Mind you, with that draw at RG he will probably make the second week - and just to prove that I'm the ultimate fence-sitter and try not to annoy fans of anyone, I wish him joy of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts