Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a wta board, but i thought some of you might not of heard and may be interested to know that andy roddick equaled the fastest every recorded serve today against agassi with a speed of 149 mp/h! (= with rusedski from indian wells). roddick also won 6-1, 6-7(5), 7-6(6). I guess the grass court's slightly extra speed means that rusedski still holds the edge but andy is 20 and no doubt will get to the top by himself in a matter of time.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Stop giving dickhead compliments!

Reactions: CanadianBoy21

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I guess the grass court's slightly extra speed means that rusedski still holds the edge
I don't see what the surface has to do with it. Don't they measure the serve speed from when it leaves the racket and crosses the net? It's when it's in the air, they don't count the bounce/surface.

·
Team WTAworld, canis sapiens sapiens
4,495 Posts
What extra speed? The serve is timed before the ball crosses the net (the first two meters I think) so the surface doesn't change anything...

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glenn said:
Stop giving dickhead compliments!
it's not a compliment it's a fact/statement. stop being a dickhead yourself. you're entitled to your views, but it's none of your business what other people think of players.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,023 Posts
Martian Julien said:
What extra speed? The serve is timed before the ball crosses the net (the first two meters I think) so the surface doesn't change anything...
It's not entirely correct. Legs are playing big part in a serve process, and while arms contribution into a serve doesn't depend on surface, leg's contribution does. For instance, do you think longjumpers would do the same whether they are jumping from asphalt or grass? Or hammer throwers?

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh ok. not up to speed (pardon the pun) on the technical side of service speed measurement.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
switz said:
it's not a compliment it's a fact/statement. stop being a dickhead yourself. you're entitled to your views, but it's none of your business what other people think of players.
You shouldn't be posting this here in the first place.
Here's the link to the ATP forum: http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
ys said:
It's not entirely correct. Legs are playing big part in a serve process, and while arms contribution into a serve doesn't depend on surface, leg's contribution does. For instance, do you think longjumpers would do the same whether they are jumping from asphalt or grass? Or hammer throwers?
Then why not also compare Roddick's and Rusedski's shoes? Maybe one has a shoes that allows to jump better. :rolleyes: Or what about the tennis racket like the length, the strings tension, etc. :rolleyes: What about wind factors? :rolleyes: The bottom line is, these are details, but at the end of the day they both hit the fastest serve, it's impossible to judge all the other factors and rate one ahead of the other.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
selesrules said:
Then why not also compare Roddick's and Rusedski's shoes? Maybe one has a shoes that allows to jump better. :rolleyes: Or what about the tennis racket like the length, the strings tension, etc. :rolleyes: What about wind factors? :rolleyes: The bottom line is, these are details, but at the end of the day they both hit the fastest serve, it's impossible to judge all the other factors and rate one ahead of the other.
Idiot. Surface is obviously a big factor.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glenn said:
You shouldn't be posting this here in the first place.
Here's the link to the ATP forum: http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31
once again demonstrating your pettiness. if you read my post i acknowledge the fact that it is a wta board, and that i was just letting people who were interested know. why would i post it on the atp forum? i am sure the people in there already knew. just get over yourself

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Glenn said:
Idiot. Surface is obviously a big factor.

Idiot. Surface is obviously not a big factor, because the ball doesn't hit the ground until it passes over the net, making the arm/leg/motion produce an equal amount of power that Rusedski did on his serve.

·
Registered
462 Posts
selesrules said:

You make complete sense, selesrules.

Man, many people are chewing on some sour grapes today.

Don't worry. In time, you all will get used to Andy's records. promise. :kiss:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Ryan16 said:
Idiot. Surface is obviously not a big factor, because the ball doesn't hit the ground until it passes over the net, making the arm/leg/motion produce an equal amount of power that Rusedski did on his serve.
Dumb fuck, it was already explained in this thread why surface matters, keep up!
And how do you explain the fact that the highest serve in the WHOLE Roland Garros tournament was only 220 kph or 135 mph? Even with Martin Verkerk getting that far.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts