Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRATISLAVA, SLOVAKIA (TICKER) -- Rita Grande of Italy rolled to her second career WTA title on Sunday, posting a 6-1, 6-1 rout of local favorite Martina Sucha to win the $110,000 Slovak Indoor hardcourt tennis tournament.

It has been a breakthrough season for the 26-year-old Grande, who climbed to 38th in the world. She captured her first career title at the ANZ Tasmanian International in Hobart, Australia in January.

Grande, the fourth seed, earned a top prize of $16,000 for the victory.

"I am very happy because this is my second career title and my first indoors," Grande said. "The surface suits my game because of my sliced backhand and the ball bounces very low. This bothers other players."

Grande also recorded a straight-sets victory over another Slovak player, Ludmila Cervanova, in Saturday's semifinals. She fought through a difficult quarterfinal match on Friday, edging Bianka Lamade of Germany in a third-set tiebreak.

"I am very satisfied with my year because I basically had no injuries," Grande said. "This was a great week for me. I thought I would lose in the quarterfinals against Bianka."

Other than her title-winning outings, Grande's only 2001 quarterfinals appearance came at Estoril in April.

Sucha was frustrated in her first career final. She had stunned No. 5 Denise Chladkova of the Czech Republic in the second round.

"I am disappointed because I had a lot of chances, but she (Grande) played better on the important points," Sucha said. "It is very hard to play against her sliced backhand, especially on this surface."

Sucha, 20, also reached the semifinals at Quebec last month and the quarterfinals at Casablanca in July.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts