Tennis Forum banner

361 - 369 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
31,734 Posts
Monica Puig will soon become the longest reigning female Olympic champion of the modern era.

Reactions: SRB Analyst

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I still wonder what would have happend if Angie had't hit that easy smash at 1-5 40-30* into the net. Puig already got very nervous at that point, could have been one of the greatest comebacks in history. Oh well.

·
Registered
15,589 Posts
I still wonder what would have happend if Angie had't hit that easy smash at 1-5 40-30* into the net. Puig already got very nervous at that point, could have been one of the greatest comebacks in history. Oh well.
monica was destined to win that match, she hit like 4 net cords and they all went in her favor :lol: this match was very similar to the YEC final, angie will always be susceptible to being upset by a treeing aggressive player

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
angie will always be susceptible to being upset by a treeing aggressive player

I actually disagree. I think aggressive players are the least likely to beat her. Of course anything can happen, but a treeing aggressive player is not someone I'd say Angie is always susceptible to. That's just "sometimes".

Angie will ALWAYS be susceptible to a super consistent pusher type or someone with super heavy topspin. That's always a danger for her.

·
Registered
15,589 Posts
I actually disagree. I think aggressive players are the least likely to beat her. Of course anything can happen, but a treeing aggressive player is not someone I'd say Angie is always susceptible to. That's just "sometimes".

Angie will ALWAYS be susceptible to a super consistent pusher type or someone with super heavy topspin. That's always a danger for her.
meh sure but i look at the three big finals she lost she was the favorite for in 2016 and she was shell-shocked by a treeing aggressive player, didn't even play that bad in them. it's the "peak pierce" argument, if you will.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
meh sure but i look at the three big finals she lost she was the favorite for in 2016 and she was shell-shocked by a treeing aggressive player, didn't even play that bad in them. it's the "peak pierce" argument, if you will.
I think Serena was the favourite at Wimbledon, but yeah Angie was definitely the fave against Puig. Cibulkova Angie is 50/50 imo.

·
Registered
15,589 Posts
I think Serena was the favourite at Wimbledon, but yeah Angie was definitely the fave against Puig. Cibulkova Angie is 50/50 imo.
i mean cincy, yec, and olympics.

i definitely do not think angie, as the star player of 2016, 4-0 at that tournament (including a win against domi), was 50/50 against domi, who won 0 big titles that year and got to that final with 3 losses. :lol:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
i mean cincy, yec, and olympics.

i definitely do not think angie, as the star player of 2016, 4-0 at that tournament (including a win against domi), was 50/50 against domi, who won 0 big titles that year and got to that final with 3 losses. :lol:
If you knew the h2h, you'd know it was never a sure thing that Angie would beat Domi. She beat her in a tight three-setter in the RR stage. It's a tough matchup for both. Domi got to the final with 2 losses, not 3 :lol:

But yeah, I mean anyone can lose to anyone. In general though, I don't think that aggressive players are the type Angie is always susceptible to. I'd say Angie is maybe the least susceptible player on tour to lose to aggressive players. The statement could have been "everyone is susceptible to peaking aggressive players" because that's true - all players are. But mentioning Kerber specifically makes it seem like she especially is susceptible to them, when I think most of us would say Angie is always susceptible to a peaking counterpuncher, pusher or heavy topspin type-player.

·
Registered
31,734 Posts
If you knew the h2h, you'd know it was never a sure thing that Angie would beat Domi. She beat her in a tight three-setter in the RR stage. It's a tough matchup for both. Domi got to the final with 2 losses, not 3 :lol:
Though the same is true for Puig. 3-3 H2H against Kerber. During those Olympics she was just a woman possessed. In the sets Puig won, she lost a total of 26 games in six matches. Serena lost 18 games in the 2012 Olympics, which is considered one of the greatest runs in tennis history. Now obviously Puig lost two sets, but just think about who Serena Williams is and who Monica Puig is.

Amazingly, if you look through Puig´s H2H record against top players you´d think she was a lot more successful player. The only top players she has never beaten (and played) are Radwanska, Venus, Konta (all 0-2) with Pliskova being the only one that flat out dominates her (0-5, 1-10 sets).

361 - 369 of 369 Posts