Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Jodie is 6th on the list for Abierto Juvenil Mexicano Grade A, Mexico City. First action since July. I'm guessing she'll team up with Emily Appleton in doubles again.

It's on clay which is where she's had her best results this year. She only needs to win two rounds in singles or one round in doubles to start picking up ranking points. But who knows how she'll do after the long lay-off.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Abierto Juvenil Mexicano

[9] Caty McNally v (Q) Anzhelika Isaeva
Csilla Fodor v Anna Smith
(wc) Maria Fernanda Carvajal Altamirano v Hailey Baptiste
Layne Sleeth v [5] Jodie Anna Burrage

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
R1: Sleeth def. [5] Burrage 3-6 7-5 6-4 :(

Well it was not unexpected given she's not played for three months.

She's not playing doubles either. Emily has teamed up with Queendrance again as top seeds.

Next tournament is Yucatan, then Eddie Herr Grade 1.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
G1 Yucatan Cup, Merida, Mexico

Jodie is 2nd seed and plays a Mexican wildcard in R1.

The important thing right now is that she's getting some matches under her belt and getting back into the swing of things. She needs to make quarters to start building her ranking. Playing doubles would also help.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
R64: [2] J.A. Burrage def. (wc) M.F. Carvajal Altamirano 6-1 6-3

Jodie's first win in singles since Wimbledon! Plays Sofia Munera Sanchez next, who made QFs of Mexico City last week but struggled through her opening round here.

Jodie's also 8th seed in doubles with Jovana Vukovic.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
R32: [2] J. Burrage def. S. Munera Sanchez 7-5 6-0 :yeah:

Plays 15th seed Dalayna Hewitt next. Unfortunately she and Jovana lost in the first round of doubles to an unseeded pair.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
QF: [2] J. Burrage def. [8] S. Sewing 6-1 7-6(8)

From what I saw Jodie was struggling to buy a 1st serve for most of that second set. Sofia was teeing off the 2nd serve on both wings. But still Jodie managed to come back from, I think, 2-5 down. Saved several set points at 4-5. Lots of inopportune errors off the American's racquet.

Then Jodie got another break but failed to serve out the match. In the tiebreak she was always one point ahead but it stayed close. Conditions seemed to be quite windy as the camera seemed to fail every time there was a gust. (Also someone extremely loud on the next court over.)

I thought towards the end of the tiebreak she was playing a lot better. Seemed to be moving quite well on the clay, sliding into her shots and showing good defence.

An unseeded opponent next.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Next opponent is Anastasia Iamachkine of Peru. She's a year younger than Jodie and ranked 100 spots lower but had some good results on clay recently, making the final of a G3. They never met before but Jodie ought to be favourite. I think she needs to get her serve percentage up and it will help her immensely.

They are first on around 10pm UK time. Should be streamed again. I think I'll be out unfortunately.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
SF: [2] J. Burrage def. A. Iamachkine 4-6 7-6(7) 6-0 :eek: :D

What a scoreline! Looks as though Jodes came pretty close to getting knocked out. Then stormed through the final set.

Anisimova or Osorio Serrano in the final.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
SF: [2] J. Burrage def. A. Iamachkine 4-6 7-6(7) 6-0 :eek: :D

What a scoreline! Looks as though Jodes came pretty close to getting knocked out. Then stormed through the final set.

Anisimova or Osorio Serrano in the final.
Did you follow the match on the live score? Both the ITF and tournament websites give the TV score as 7-6(0).

Final against Anisimova is at 21:00 local time today (stupid:00 GMT tomorrow).

I watched the last 6 games of the first set yesterday on the stream. Jodie had GP in all 6 but split them. She came within 5 points of taking the set. One pattern of play was that Jodie would make her opponent run from side to side without managing a knockout blow, the Peruvian would at some point manage to make a slightly more awkward ball, Jodie would try to hit a neutral ball up the middle, and the Peruvian would put it away to the corner.

I thought anything was possible when I stopped watching, but the most likely was that the Peruvian would run away with the second set.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Did you follow the match on the live score? Both the ITF and tournament websites give the TV score as 7-6(0).
I was out when the match was on but I saw the final score on the Tennis Ticker page. I may have misread it - it was late, I'd had a few drinks. :angel:

I watched the last 6 games of the first set yesterday on the stream. Jodie had GP in all 6 but split them. She came within 5 points of taking the set. One pattern of play was that Jodie would make her opponent run from side to side without managing a knockout blow, the Peruvian would at some point manage to make a slightly more awkward ball, Jodie would try to hit a neutral ball up the middle, and the Peruvian would put it away to the corner.

I thought anything was possible when I stopped watching, but the most likely was that the Peruvian would run away with the second set.
I wonder what changed? It's strange to see the momentum swing so much. I mean, Iamachkine didn't win a point in the tiebreak and it was downhill from there for her.

Anisimova will be extremely tough. They never met before. In fact Jodie has only played one top tenner this year (Pervushina who beat her in straights). I think she'll be back at a career high ranking whatever the result.

61 - 80 of 416 Posts