Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“It’s such a beautiful setting to play in, against a terrific opponent. When she's on the other side of the net you feel the amount of pressure that's being put on you. When you play with other girls you feel like it's not a problem to hit an easy cross-court shot and grind into rallies. With her, it's all-in from the serve and return and even from the warming-up. Everything is at full force at a 100%. There's no 80% with her. She is one of the few players to make you feel the pressure. That's reason to start missing and hit double faults."

"Not many players give you the feeling that they want to eat you up."

"She congratulated me on the fight and wished me well going forward. It's nice to hear that you can give players like that trouble."

- Richel Hogenkamp, after her 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 loss to Maria Sharapova in the first round.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Keep on “eating them up” Maria!!!!
Love this quote from Hogenkamp

·
Registered
83,560 Posts
“It’s such a beautiful setting to play in, against a terrific opponent. When she's on the other side of the net you feel the amount of pressure that's being put on you. When you play with other girls you feel like it's not a problem to hit an easy cross-court shot and grind into rallies. With her, it's all-in from the serve and return and even from the warming-up. Everything is at full force at a 100%. There's no 80% with her. She is one of the few players to make you feel the pressure. That's reason to start missing and hit double faults."

"Not many players give you the feeling that they want to eat you up."

"She congratulated me on the fight and wished me well going forward. It's nice to hear that you can give players like that trouble."

- Richel Hogenkamp, after her 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 loss to Maria Sharapova in the first round.
Serena will not sign.

·
Registered
83,560 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although it's highly unlikely that maria will beat Pliskova it is clear she is starting to get into these girls minds like she used to. First it was halep's 'I'm scared to serve' now this

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although it's highly unlikely that maria will beat Pliskova it is clear she is starting to get into these girls minds like she used to. First it was halep's 'I'm scared to serve' now this
I think you will be surprised at how close this match with Pliskova is going to be. Both have made comments in press conferences yesterday that they are really looking forward to playing each other. Maria talking about what a great server Pliskova is and how her return will be critical. She also complimented Pliskova’s forehand. They have only had the one match years ago from Fed Cup on an indoor hardcourt which Maria won 6-3 6-4. But that was 2015 and Pliskova is a much better player than that now. I don’t think clay is Pliskova’s best surface even with the recent win in Stuttgart (that indoor clay is nothing like playing at RG).
It should be a terrific match. Hope it’s on Center Court!!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Having Serena,Azarenka and Maria back is great for women's tennis. Halep and Svitolina have been in charge of the tournaments. I'm happy that those three are back :hysteric:

The shade though :hysteric:
I was just about to highlight this!:lol:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I like Richel, and it was good to see her give Maria a real match after her recent drop in ranking, coming through qualifying too. Hopefully she'll get back up into the Top 100.

Some interesting and honest comments which afford Sharapova plenty of respect but aren't quite as tripping-over-herself-to-be-reverent as much as they are honest about the intensity/aura that Maria brings to a court & seems to have rediscovered this week.

·
Registered
83,560 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think you will be surprised at how close this match with Pliskova is going to be. Both have made comments in press conferences yesterday that they are really looking forward to playing each other. Maria talking about what a great server Pliskova is and how her return will be critical. She also complimented Pliskova’s forehand. They have only had the one match years ago from Fed Cup on an indoor hardcourt which Maria won 6-3 6-4. But that was 2015 and Pliskova is a much better player than that now. I don’t think clay is Pliskova’s best surface even with the recent win in Stuttgart (that indoor clay is nothing like playing at RG).
It should be a terrific match. Hope it’s on Center Court!!!
Believe me I would love Maria to win mate. I'm just being realistic. Anyway I hope I'm wrong. We'll see I guess

·
Registered
30,908 Posts
I wonder if it's more intimidating to play against someone like Sharapova that's very much in your face or someone like Graf that is a silent, ice cold killer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts