1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/2003/05/03/richard_williams_ap/

Time out from tennis?
Saturday May 03, 2003 1:41 PM

PARIS (AP) -- Richard Williams, the outspoken father of dominant tennis stars Serena and Venus, says he wants them to take a break from competitive tennis because no one can match them. "I would like them to stop playing today, for Serena to study and for Venus to launch herself into business," Richard Williams was quoted as saying in an interview published Saturday in French sports daily L'Equipe's magazine. The 61-year-old says he is unimpressed with the level of competition on the women's circuit and in the junior ranks, and he believes his daughters could take time out and still easily top the world rankings if they returned.

"If I was in their place, I would take a break for one or two years," he added. "I would do some sailing, some ice skating, and I would come back unranked, just so I could become No. 1 within five or six months."

World No. 1 Serena Williams has won the last four major tournaments: the French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open last year, and the Australian Open in January. She will start heavy favorite at the French Open, which begins May 26.

The 21-year-old has lost only two matches -- against Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters -- since November last year.

Venus Williams, the World No. 3, won her fourth career Grand Slam at Wimbledon two years ago. The 22-year-old will play Sunday in the final of the US$700,000 J&S Cup in Warsaw, Poland.

Their father believes racism is rife in women's tennis, and within the sport's governing body, the Women's Tennis Association.

"I asked the WTA: 'Does racism still exist with you?'," he said in the interview, which was translated into French. "They told me no. They're taking me for an idiot."

"Then in desperation they call me mad, they make cutting remarks like 'Don't you think those Williams sisters are arrogant? They're too physically strong not to have taken doping products.' " Williams, who taught his daughters tennis at an early age, says they were targeted by racism two years ago at the Indian Wells tournament in California.

"The rich white racists decided to take a firm position," he said. "They whistled and booed my daughters. They insulted me until I left the court."

Williams feels racism in America is "perhaps even worse today," and thus says he will never salute the American flag.

"It has no meaning for me," Williams said.

He added that he and several others are working toward an officially recognized "day of saying sorry" in America -- where white people would acknowledge the prejudice shown toward blacks and apologize for it.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: selesfan1

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Thank God it was sarcasm ;)

Goo Richard! :worship:

Put more fire into WTA!

'Cause we need a little of controversy
and it feels so empty without you!'

:bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
No, no, no you are the dumb one. Just think: who spends more time reading about him and his opinions? Worse still commenting on them. Now who is dumb?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
o0O0o said:
Dumbest man alive?
Nice to see that you nominated yourself. ;)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I will never apologize to anyone on this day of sorry. I am not racist and have not treated people based on the color of their skin.

This is the problem, some people have this "us vs them" mentality when it isn't all of us against them. Just a few ignorant ones!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
good for you Richard, I may disagree with you but its important for people to voice their opinions

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Whatever if Richard is wrong or right, I don't really give a damn what he has to say anyway.

HOWEVER, let the sisters make their own decisions of what they want to do or not do. They are adults now and I think they are perfectly able to decide if the tour is to boring, too much of grind or whatever.

It's his right to voice his opinions, but it's our right not to have to listen to them..........

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
o0O0o said:
Dumbest man alive?
Very easy for all of us to say but we must remember he is a 61 year old black man who grow up in the south in a time of heavy racism. Although what seems crazy to us he has been living with built up resentment for many years and i cant really blame him for the way he acts and believes even if i dont agree.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Serena and Venus quitting and then returning to the top when one could play, dominate then quit and the other one takes over or better yet let one of the nieces or nephews come through the junior ranks and dominate just when the sisters are ready to retire. The is doing something that will make people mad. Another Williams.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
It is argue that the no. 1 player who holds all for grandslams has no competion but Venus does and that is why she isn't a holder of a GS nor a tier 1. Quite frankly if i was on the tour, i would feel slighted by Richards remarks. Expect the rest of the tour to come firing out in all cylinders next time they have to play the sisters. Crazy as he sounds, he hasn't been wrong so far ;)

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Everybody knows that Richard is the racist. Oh, and he added "rich" white racist. So he's stereotyping white people and making uninformed judgements about them. I'd love to have HIS money.

In years to come, it WILL be socially acceptable for white people, at the accusation of racism, to do what I'm about to do now:

That is turn round, remove my pants, and invite Richard to kiss my arse.

People are starting to do it already!

Guys like him don't want to build bridges. They want to increase division and hostility.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
lol

the tour just isn't the same without richards remarks. I almost kinda missed it for a while there, lol. I dont agree with his take on "apology day", if it was sarcasm, then ok, but if its for reals, then like wow, lol. I dont expect anyone will be willing to do it, unless its like a former racist who has now changed for the better. But lets admit it, this guy does add another dimension to the wta, he always has.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
o0O0o said:
Dumbest man alive?
Hmmm here I thought Dubya was and still is the dumbest man alive.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
they aint gonna take any extended time from the game, if either venus or serena want to be considered one of the greats of the games then they need to win more than 4 and 5 GS each-Graf didnt get to 22 by quiting half way through.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
he's not showing a lot of respect for the tour, is he?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts