Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a quote from an AP article:

"Jennifer didn't play close to her best," said Williams' father, Richard. "She was nervous and scared. Serena was twice as nervous as Jennifer, but she was able to snap out of it. They were both missing balls a junior wouldn't miss. That wasn't the real Jennifer."

"Serena had better be ready next time, because Jennifer might annihilate her. No one forgets a match like that."

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
He's right, apart from the bit about Jennifer annihilating Serena in the future... that won't happen.

Serena started off terrible, but once she settled down she was very solid, not too spectacular but playing well within herself - you always sensed she could go up several gears if necessary. Jennifer was truly abysmal from first to last point.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
well he´s the one that knows his doughter. i think that he´s only saying this cuz he knows that Serena can do much much better.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sartrista7 said:
He's right, apart from the bit about Jennifer annihilating Serena in the future... that won't happen.

Serena started off terrible, but once she settled down she was very solid, not too spectacular but playing well within herself - you always sensed she could go up several gears if necessary. Jennifer was truly abysmal from first to last point.
Serena should have won the first set 6-0 because she wa up 0-30 on Jennifer's opening service game, but I'll take 6-1.

I think what he meant is that this humiliating defeat for Jennifer will not be forgotten and she may come out fighting the next time they meet, possibly the US Open.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
For the 1st time ever, i 100% agree with Richard!!! Actually, he has said many things this fortnight that were spot on!!!! Richard has really evolved, I am becoming more and more a fan of his!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
lizchris said:
Serena should have won the first set 6-0 because she wa up 0-30 on Jennifer's serve, but I'll take 6-1.

I think what he meant is that this humiliating defeat for Jennifer will not be forgotten and she may come out fighting the next time they meet, possibly the US Open.
She should have won the second set 6-0 as well, because she was 30-15 up on her own serve, then hit a random forehand just long and served two DFs :lol:

Jennifer may well come out fighting, and might even win, next time she plays Serena... but there'll be no 'annihilating' happening for her.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Richard realizes that since the girls are now adults and can take care of themselves he can say stuff that sounds diplomatic even though he knows it's bullshit.

When they were much younger, he said a lot of stuff to put the heat on himself instead of on them. And it worked. Everyone hated him. Now because he fudges what he really thinks, he's considered to have "evolved".
:lol:

Go, Richard, you sly dog you. :D

Reactions: Jakeev and OxNoj

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Well, you put a microphone in front of Richard, and you'll get something. Lately, he's been pretty wise, pretty savvy. I think that comes with success.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
lizchris said:

"Jennifer didn't play close to her best," said Williams' father, Richard. "She was nervous and scared. Serena was twice as nervous as Jennifer, but she was able to snap out of it. They were both missing balls a junior wouldn't miss. That wasn't the real Jennifer."

."
richard is right. anybody who saw the match would agree. it was painfully obvious. it is so obvious i wondered why it was used to start a thread.

and then i rememebered: there are people on this board talking about the match like they have actually seen it but in fact haven't. perhaps richard can help shed some light.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
As a serena fan, I woke upo this morning and I was glad Jen had beaten Serena two times in a row. I knew that that was what serena needed to get herself into gear. She knew she had work to do and quite frankly serena can be this good when she walks on court knowing it can happen. Last year after she lost to mauresmo on clay she arrived at RG determined not to let that happen. I still believe she was thrown by the crowd in the semis and still amnaged to lose 5/7 in the third, by the time she arrived at wimbledon having lost to justine twice, she was taking no prisoners. I knew this was going to be her attitude today. I hope she brings the same in to the semis tomorrow.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Tjaaa.....but a win is a win....although he´s obviously right.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hollywood7172 said:
richard is right. anybody who saw the match would agree. it was painfully obvious. it is so obvious i wondered why it was used to start a thread.

and then i rememebered: there are people on this board talking about the match like they have actually seen it but in fact haven't. perhaps richard can help shed some light.
Because Richard Williams said it, I have not seen the match and I felt like it.

·
In my new place!!
23,113 Posts
lizchris said:

"Serena had better be ready next time, because Jennifer might annihilate her. No one forgets a match like that."
He's right that wasnt the best Jen and everyone here knows she can play way better than that. I dont care what you may say.

Now the annihilating part is a stretch, these 2 when they both play thier BEST games only win by a matter of a few games. Good comments from him though, and its good that he always pushes Serena harder with these comments..

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
tennnisfannn said:
As a serena fan, I woke upo this morning and I was glad Jen had beaten Serena two times in a row. I knew that that was what serena needed to get herself into gear. She knew she had work to do and quite frankly serena can be this good when she walks on court knowing it can happen. Last year after she lost to mauresmo on clay she arrived at RG determined not to let that happen. I still believe she was thrown by the crowd in the semis and still amnaged to lose 5/7 in the third, by the time she arrived at wimbledon having lost to justine twice, she was taking no prisoners. I knew this was going to be her attitude today. I hope she brings the same in to the semis tomorrow.
Serena is mentally the strongest player on tour and has been for 2 and a half years now. Justine is mentally tough too, however we have been denied a rivalry because as soon as one is back the other gets injured. The others are all waifs unfortunately who can crumble at any moment (and I have to say this being a Jen and Lindsay fan) :sad:

·
Snitch
16,148 Posts
hollywood7172 said:

How did you see it in the US before everyone else...?

·
Premium Member
19,688 Posts
IMO, Jen and Serena always play nervous error filled matches. Serena's serve on grass gives her an advantage. However, where was Richard and his comments about Serena after that error filled FO qtr match? :rolleyes: Nothing is different from what they always do, and this time Serena wanted it more than Jen.

Congrats Rena in getting over the nerves of playing Jen and going on to the semis. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cam'ron Giles said:
How did you see it in the US before everyone else...?
i didnt see it in the US before everyone else. i'm not in the US now, havent been for a year, been abroad with my job. i can use my permanent address for the location part right? or temporary address only?

i saw the match live. it was over so quickly i didn't even have time to respond and get mad or worked up.

jen wore a two piece.
serena screamed when she hit a forehand down the line wide near the end of the match.

everything else was a blurr and it just happened so quickly...no shouts of frustration from jen, which i was expecting, but she did test her string tension with her hands in frustration after missing another easy shot, towards middle of second set, before receiving serve.

i would never lie about having seen the match if i havent seen it. that would make me feel worse.

·
Premium Member
19,688 Posts
Well I hope Richard's comments keep Serena motivated.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Serena just about knocked Cappy off the court. She totally intimated her from the start with her big shots and serves. Richard turned around to talk to Gullickson during the match. He was probably saying this to him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts