Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chamberlain Comes Out
May 30, 5:28 PM EST

(Associated Press) -- More than four decades after he captured women's hearts on television's "Dr. Kildare," Richard Chamberlain has decided to reveal his identity as a gay man "because I'm not afraid anymore."

"I'm not a romantic leading man anymore so I don't need to nurture that public image anymore," the 68-year-old Chamberlain says in an interview to air Sunday on "Dateline NBC."

"I can talk about it now because I'm not afraid anymore."

The "Dateline" interview coincides with the publication of Chamberlain's new memoir, "Shattered Love," which will be released Tuesday by ReganBooks.

Chamberlain starred as television's Dr. James Kildare from 1961-1966, and as Father Ralph, a love-torn priest, in the 1983 miniseries "The Thorn Birds." He also starred in the 1974 movie "The Towering Inferno" and the 1980 miniseries "Shogun."

"When I grew up, being gay, being a sissy or anything like that, was verboten," said Chamberlain, who lives in Hawaii. "I disliked myself intensely and feared this part of myself intensely and had to hide it."

Now, the actor says, everything is different.

He's talking about his longtime partner, Martin; appearing in The Advocate magazine; and discussing his difficult childhood.

"I love my life just the way it is. I'm proud of my relationship. I'm actually proud of myself," Chamberlain said.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Good for him :)

But we don't need a 68 year old to come out after his success, society needs someone at the top opf the game(acting, sports, whatever). Then it would break a lot of barriers... but it is always hard being first, becaus they get there endorsements taken away, lose a lot of fans, etc...
girls seem to be braver, such as Navratilova and King.
But who am I to tlak, I can't even come out not being a star ;)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Good point Superdevil, but like you said, it is easier said than done. :)

Does anyone have a picture of him, I cant put a face to the name...

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thinking about the Thornbirds or any miniseries for that matter. In the mid to late 80s, he starred in what seemed like every friggin' miniseries on tv.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
i've always thought richard chamberlain was a beautiful man. this pic from shogun is my fave. btw...i'm glad that he finally came out. everyone in hawaii's known for the past 27 years.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Was he in a Cinderella movie in the 70s? I used to love when they showed it on TV when I was a kid. I'm sure he played the Prince and it was called "slipper and the rose" or something like that.

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Oh I loved him in Shogun but I loved Loved him in The Thornbirds!! Ah he was so Sexy as a priest! :p

I'm with the poster that said hopefully a successful young person will come out one day and be the first to set the path. Woman don't care if a guy is gay or not we'll love em anyway. Well a lot of ladies wouldn't care.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Surely Richard Chamberlin didn't think that he was fooling anybody, did he? I was just wondering when he was going to make it official. The rumors have been circulating for years.

But then again, some people were shocked that Raymond Burr a.k.a Perry Mason and Ironside was gay and lived with his lover for over 45 years.

·
Bright Like Neon Love
13,433 Posts
You never know...some people were surprised about Rosie O'Donnell coming out.

I say good for Richard. It doesn't matter if he's long past his "glory days," he will always be a TV legend. At least he's coming out, which is probably a lot more than can be said about other Hollywood stars.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Please, everyone on Broadway has known about Chamberlain for years! I think he is wooden and hell and a shitty actor. He was awful in the Thorn Birds, about as bad as Stanwyck. I should have had her part! Next, David Hyde Pierce will probably come out and it will make big news!

I wonder if Ted Casablanca will wait until he is 68 to come out? Everyone, including Neely, already knows anyway, so what is the delay. Plus, he made more than $1 million before he was 30 years old, so money is not the issue.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
Helen Lawson said:
Please, everyone on Broadway has known about Chamberlain for years! I think he is wooden and hell and a shitty actor. He was awful in the Thorn Birds, about as bad as Stanwyck. I should have had her part! Next, David Hyde Pierce will probably come out and it will make big news!

I wonder if Ted Casablanca will wait until he is 68 to come out? Everyone, including Neely, already knows anyway, so what is the delay. Plus, he made more than $1 million before he was 30 years old, so money is not the issue.
you think he's wooden? lol...helen, for the first time i must admit. you need to take some of neely's red ones. ;)

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
I dislike Chamberlain because he is more of a Neely fan.

Once after he saw Neely in that awful "Tell Me, Darling" he said she was Broadway's "foremost" actress. Buuuuullshiiiiiit! I am Broadway's "foremost" actress. His lack of taste did not surprise me as I look down on anyone doing television, but I am usually more popular than Neely with "his sort" if you catch my drift! Maybe he had something going with Ted Casablanca!

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
Helen Lawson said:
I dislike Chamberlain because he is more of a Neely fan.

Once after he saw Neely in that awful "Tell Me, Darling" he said she was Broadway's "foremost" actress. Buuuuullshiiiiiit! I am Broadway's "foremost" actress. His lack of taste did not surprise me as I look down on anyone doing television, but I am usually more popular than Neely with "his sort" if you catch my drift! Maybe he had something going with Ted Casablanca!
perhaps you have something there, helen. i believe ted casablanca has visited hawaii much more than your usual tourist since chamberlain moved there. hmmmm...something else too helen. it's just dawned on me that you're quite envious of neely aren't you?

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Me? Jealous of Neely? Jealous of what?!? Raging addiction to booze and the red ones? Gay husband? Stints in the nuthouse? Doing a telethon and having my necklace cup my breasts while I sang? Sorry, no jealousy here. It is Neely who is always trying to steal my thunder, ha, but she never gets the chance!

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
Helen Lawson said:
Me? Jealous of Neely? Jealous of what?!? Raging addiction to booze and the red ones? Gay husband? Stints in the nuthouse? Doing a telethon and having my necklace cup my breasts while I sang? Sorry, no jealousy here. It is Neely who is always trying to steal my thunder, ha, but she never gets the chance!
uh huh...methinks you're jealous of neely... :devil:

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Im too young to appreciate his work, but Im definitley proud of him for coming out, its definitley not an easy thing for anyone to do, more so when you've been in the public eye for so many years. I hope this motivates others to 'be' themselves!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts