Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Venus' absence is actually causing me to lose interest in the sport.

She's having quite a good year. (Won Antwerp, finals at Warsaw and OZ) If you can call it a year. Four tournaments in four months. And if she doesn't play til RG, and follows her usual pattern with grass, Wimbledon will be only Venus' SIXTH tournament of the year.

Tennis is still cool, but no one else on tour makes my heart beat faster. No one else on tour makes me pace aroound the room during matches. I just don't care about winning and losing where everyone else is concerned. If it's not Venus, I just want to see a well-played match.

Reactions: tennisIlove09

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
WOW!! I couldn't agree more, lately tennis has been a real bore to me as well... I have actually found myself watching the men more than the women nowadays. :eek:

But yeah I miss Vee winning, and playing at a level where she won't lose sets here and there in the early rounds of tournaments. She can beat anyone.....

Re-dedicate Vee..........please!!!! :sad:

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Wait, you guys are actually getting tennis tournaments and are bored by them? The only tourneys I've gotten this year was AO, IW, Nasdaq and Charleston. I also got the SF and F of the ATP Memphis on Turner South. That's pretty depressing. Thank GOD I tape matches and have plenty I haven't watched in awhile. That'll have to sustain me for now. :mad:

For me, Venus and Serena excite me more than anybody on tour. But I'll watch tennis, period, because I enjoy the game. I'd have to GET some tennis matches first, though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yea, I get where you guys are coming from. The tour is just not the same for me without Venus... :confused:

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cariosity said:
Wait, you guys are actually getting tennis tournaments and are bored by them?
cariosity - Don't get me wrong, I watch at least the beginning of virtually every match I can. But take Justine vs Serena recently. good match, fun to watch, competitive. I even had a favorite in the match, since I prefer Serena to Justine. But when it was over, it was like, 'so what'. I just wasn't emotionally involved.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
:wavey: I just wrote an article by a journalist before (yes my fingers still hurt lol).....It's more about Venus in her V Starr business...it certainly makes you think...and yes the tour is lame at the moment...wait for the French and it will pick up again :) :wavey:

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i havent watched tennis live since the aussie open. havent really missed it much cos ive been inundated with alot of work and stuff...surprisingly....i usually cant wait between the aus and french

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
good point

Tennis is starting to get old without Venus
No Twirl, No Smirk, No Shriek-Grunt

And No Shot That Makes You Say, "Damn!"

Come Back Soon V

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Volcana said:
Venus' absence is actually causing me to lose interest in the sport.

She's having quite a good year. (Won Antwerp, finals at Warsaw and OZ) If you can call it a year. Four tournaments in four months. And if she doesn't play til RG, and follows her usual pattern with grass, Wimbledon will be only Venus' SIXTH tournament of the year.

Tennis is still cool, but no one else on tour makes my heart beat faster. No one else on tour makes me pace aroound the room during matches. I just don't care about winning and losing where everyone else is concerned. If it's not Venus, I just want to see a well-played match.

I feel for all Venus fans, now they know how Hingis fans feel.:( Get well soon Vee and kick Serena's ass at RG.:)

·
Banned
845 Posts
Yep, tennis is not the same without Venus and Serena. I am not even interested in the German Open - is that what it is call?

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
I find that for me personally being a fan of both Venus and Serena, if one loses then I feel bad. It's like having 2 in 1 to me, and while I am sad about Venus losing I do realize that one day Serena will lose also but at the moment she is winning.

I tend to watch matches regardless of who is playing, and always hope for a good match. However, when my faves are playing I will tape them because you never know when their domination will end. So, for everyone who is discouraged over Venus losing so much just go back and pop in a tape of US Open 2000 semis, Wimbeldon 2000, 2001 finals etc. You will find yourself smiling from ear to ear, and you will know what Venus is still capable of.

Everyone has their time as in the case of Hingis, Venus,and now Serena. It remains a question of whether Serena will continue to dominate, or will Venus or the Belgians slip in.

I truly feel that it is a cycle, and my belief is that once Venus blossoms and fulfills some of her goals off the court, she will become more dedicated to the sport again. Now while she sorts things out, I will continue to support her in whatever she decides to do. A TRUE fan will be devoted through the ups and down .

I notice that alot of posters here are dedicated fans of certain players. These players barely win anything, and they still are their cheering, still hoping that one day that their fave will have a breakthrough. I think supporting someone who does not win all the time or most of the time is tougher. So, IMO Venus has had some great wins, and I know that she will emerge again. However, if she decides to take time away from tennis to rejuvenate herself then I will continue to look back on her matches and hope that she regains her passion for the sport again. That's all any FAN can ask for, but noone knows what is the correct situation right now but Venus.

Get Well Vee!!
I support you 100% on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I miss Venus, too. She's really the one that caused me to become a die-hard fan of the sport. For the longest time, I got excited for no one other than Venus (although now I get excited for Serena, too). I can't wait until she gets better.

There'll always be a place in my heart for Venus.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Heh, I remember when Lindsay had her knee surgery ... tennis just wasn't really the same for the reasons you mentioned, Volcana. No emotional involvement in matches, really. of course, tennis is still 2375256693962 better than 99% of things on TV in the worst of time, so it wasn't so bad.

anyway, I'd be surprised if Venus didn't play the French. I know she suffered what must be a pretty bad injury, but I think it'll heal in time. She'll give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Volcana, I thought you were a 30-years plus tennis fan who saw it all. Not a "player" fan but a "tennis" fan. Why give up because Venus is in a "bad" patch.

I have followed Conchita for years. If I lost interest every time she lost a match, I would have given up tennis after the 2000 French Open.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
cariosity said:
Wait, you guys are actually getting tennis tournaments and are bored by them? The only tourneys I've gotten this year was AO, IW, Nasdaq and Charleston. I also got the SF and F of the ATP Memphis on Turner South. That's pretty depressing. Thank GOD I tape matches and have plenty I haven't watched in awhile. That'll have to sustain me for now. :mad:

For me, Venus and Serena excite me more than anybody on tour. But I'll watch tennis, period, because I enjoy the game. I'd have to GET some tennis matches first, though. :rolleyes:

Thank you a genuine true tennis fan.....this is what pisses me off about this board is that only a minority of the people that post here do it because they are fans of tennis and not just certain players that play tennis.

Lindsay is my fave but I don't lose sleep because she is not competing in every tournament available. I love the game enough to be interested in it.

I have a lot of respect for posters like Volcana and Fingon but when they talk junk like they are bored by tennis because Venus and Justine are not playing, it just pisses me off..........

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I am a fan of tennis...it's just I like watching MORE when Venus is playing. Some matches just seem boring...even though they are good in scoreline [eg. Capriati def. Shaughnessy 46 76 64 Miami]

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Not surprised. I never understood how "true tennis fans" could support a player with such fundamental flaws in her technique in every shot she has.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
o0O0o said:
Not surprised. I never understood how "true tennis fans" could support a player with such fundamental flaws in her technique in every shot she has.
They're talking about Venus Williams, NOT Anna Kournikova. Stay on topic.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
o0O0o said:
You are wetodded...... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts