Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time since 2014 that Sloane has been able to string together three consecutive 2nd week appearances at Slams, so good for her. She was rock solid today, while Muguruza didn't live up to the hype :lol: I knew she wouldn't go very far in this event after losing a set to ITF Towsend :tape:

Konta is up next, who has a 2-0 h2h against Sloane, both of those wins coming in 2019 and one of them in Rome :unsure:

On a side note, Halep is so winning this tournament again :lol:

·
Registered
115,505 Posts
Garbine played well, but Stephens was steady and eventually Muguruza made too many errors
Lack of movement hurt and thats Konta's problem next for Stephens

·
Registered
53,636 Posts
I'm disappointed but I guess it's logical
congrats Sloane :yeah: now don't screw up and go reach a second final in a row here

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
That had a bit of everything from Sloane. Muguruza started beautifully, but she couldn't maintain when Sloane picked up her level and was hitting a very big, heavy ball. That's the time of assertive play that she needs to maintain to go further here. Lots of big winners, trademark defense to offense, and beautifully-constructed points. :bowdown:

Glad she closed out that last game before pulling the same struggle to close out that she had in each of her other matches this RG.

·
Registered
28,458 Posts
Sloane played a superb match. Too steady for Garbiñe.

Garbi tried and it’s definitely a big improvement over the last 2 years but still she was too impatient and nervous in patches of the match and couldn’t keep the level.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
N i d

·
Registered
87,388 Posts
So happy for Sloane. Today she was the better player! Win it all now.

Reactions: Carnet

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,456 Posts
black panther did it smoothly again :inlove:
Garbi :hug: :hug: :hug:

good match, the Spaniard failed to extend the lead at 3-1 30-15* set-1
fab fh dtl strikes by the American :hatoff:

·
Registered
39,725 Posts
Very good match from both ladies. I think Sloane was way more positive with herself and in the end deserved to win. Go to the final now!

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Stephens' footwork looked nice today.

Muguruza totally unraveled when Stephens held for 4-3 in the second. She looked absolutely defeated after that and was tiiiight in the next game. She upped her level when MP down but it was too little, too late.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sloane really picked it up and was aggressive when she need to be. She's rounding into form nicely
Muguruza had a few horror show misses late in the match but overall played pretty well. She'll have some better results if she keeps this level moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Expected result, once Sloane woke up and started to play at least a bit decently it was over for Garbine, she couldn't handle Sloane's counter-punching and heavy shots at all and those panic stares were more intensive by every minute.
On the contrary, another random deep run here would only deepen Muguruza's delusion that she is still elite player, who she hasn't been in fact for some time now. I know we all talk about Sumyk here but I start to think that she'll never get rid of him, perhaps she'll be mugging somewhere around 30s in the rankings and that's it.
I have zero faith now, Garbine strikes me as someone who gets comfortable and doesn't have the courage to make drastic changes. I think she is bothered by it but she is just too afraid.
Maybe she doesn't have someone (friends,..her family is not too interested in her results...) to advise her or tell her that she should do something differently. She actually strikes me as quite lonely and she feels like there's no one else for her other than Sumyk and that female physio.

Or maybe I am completely wrong and she just doesn't give a f..k :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.