Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She won 3 more games than I expected :sobbing:

It took 1 hour. 28W/24UE for Iga, 6W/13UE for the junior.

·
La nuit je mens
87,963 Posts
She actually was doing quite ok till 4-3 in the first. But way too tender yet. She has an interesting game though, lot of variety. But there's still a lot of work to be done.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Wow as a big Oceane supporter I feel like that France Tennis Association was fucking kidding her here, she could really use the 20k even if she's a walking bye, but instead of giving her the WC they give it to this girl. This looked like Orange Bowl first round match, if she would've drawn some Top 8 seed she wouldn't have won a point probably. Oceane pushed Kuznetsova here two years ago.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
too many UE on the simplest of shots in Set 1, but second set was very clean 14W 4UE :hearts: Janicijevic wasn't absolutely horrendous :yeah:

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
Janicijevic's game looks decent but nothing screams top player material: Jacquemot impressed me more in qualies, she's younger and won their only meeting handily. Weird WC choice really, once Iga settled into the match after a messy start, it was the expected demolition of a frail junior at the hands of a pro (even if they were born only a year apart).

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I think this Janicijevic is really lucky she drew another young, inexperienced opponent... She could of gotten double bageled and humiliated by a Top 20 player.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
Janicijevic's serve was so slow, first serves landing between 130-140kph. Not ready at all for this level yet. I think a more experienced player would have double bagelled her.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Janicijevic is easily the weirdest WC choice in a while at a slam. Even more baffling than players like Hesse and Lim.
She has never been ranked in WTA, is around #1300 in ITF ranking, and hasn't done anything of note in juniors - I don't remember such resume from a MDWC in the last decade.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Iga :inlove: :drive:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
She has never been ranked in WTA, is around #1300 in ITF ranking, and hasn't done anything of note in juniors - I don't remember such resume from a MDWC in the last decade.
Like I can get Paquet, Parry (who actually kind of proved herself), Ponchet, Tan (kinda but not really...she's essentially Hesse-lite), Albie (at least she won some race), Davis, and Hon...but Janicijevic?! WHO?! Come on! Like even though Dodin would have been the same walking bye, at least she was a top 100 player! I understand that Janicijevic is a decent junior but she's only won ONE match on the professional tour. She clearly wasn't ready for this. Like FFT really just wanted to give Dodin THAT big of an FU to her.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Reactions: posthuman

·
Registered
55,012 Posts
She won 3 more games than I expected :sobbing:
And won the same amount of games as Lin Zhu won in her full clay season in Strasburg & RG :worship:

Reactions: iGOAT

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wonder whether Janicijević was eligible to enter this tournament. Grand Slam Rulebook in its first Article, point D, says:

The four Grand Slam Tournaments are open for entry to all internationally ranked tennis players with a ranking of 500 or better.

I'm not sure what ranking they have in mind, but apparently only two ranking systems can seriously be taken into account: ITF's and WTA's. Selena holds position #1334 in the former and is absent from the latter. In neither case she meets the condition to be ranked within Top 500. Looks as if the organizers composed their MD list against the law. Or there is some catch I'm not aware of?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts