Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me when people were saying Potato will be top-5/10 and contending for Slams because of her Istanbul title
Forehead Nose Hair Cheek Chin

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Potapova injured her left knee during a wrong step at the end of set 2. Needed a 15 min MTO and physio to come back fully bandaged. Didn't move well in 3rd set.

Kulikova's biggest career win so far, first win better than #150 and first top 100 win. She is making massive jumps in ranking. Powerful hitting, not bothered by anything.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
13,329 Posts
I doubt anyone said that, except 1 or 2 delusional people…

Anyway, great for Finnish tennis to finally get someone in contention for Grand Slam participation, especially after she missed AO qualies, which is the surface that would suit her even more. Bonaventure will probably be too tough, but hopefully she manages to knock another upset.

Potapova yet another player that wins a WTA title but fails in RG qualies after, but I read (per @OpenCourt on Twitter) that she slipped on the tarp, which is why she had her knee basically mummified and it hindered her movement. Considering that happens at least once a year at RG, why is it not addressed? We know how much trouble Goffin had after injuring himself on a RG tarp at the peak of his career. :tape: Really a shame and hopefully the injury isn’t that serious.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I doubt anyone said that, except 1 or 2 delusional people…

Anyway, great for Finnish tennis to finally get someone in contention for Grand Slam participation, especially after she missed AO qualies, which is the surface that would suit her even more. Bonaventure will probably be too tough, but hopefully she manages to knock another upset.

Potapova yet another player that wins a WTA title but fails in RG qualies after, but I read (per @OpenCourt on Twitter) that she slipped on the tarp, which is why she had her knee basically mummified and it hindered her movement. Considering that happens at least once a year at RG, why is it not addressed? We know how much trouble Goffin had after injuring himself on a RG tarp at the peak of his career. :tape: Really a shame and hopefully the injury isn’t that serious.
They have redone all the courts, but this was played on court 15, literally the only trash court remaining that's small with no room for movement behind. Kulikova deserved the win anyways, as even before the injury it was a very close match. She is way better than her #190s ranking, can hit very hard and flat and has a tremendous serve.

And yea I agree, Kulikova was a good import, similar to Rybakina and Putintseva for Kazakhstan tennis and Saville for Australian tennis.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Potato back to mediocrity - I like this prospect.

Reactions: Velluto Giallo

·
Art & Futures
26,095 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
This always happens in slam qualies - the top 4 seeds in the men's qualies lost in the first round. There is so much pressure on big seeds in qualies to do well and most of the time they crumble.
True, even more pressure since this is the last GS before US Open for her... and Potapova was never known as mental giant, would be the prime player you'd expect to lose here at some point..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts