Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great result. It is for sure very good for the sport, for the WTA.

Finally, after 4 losses Maky can finally have the last laugh. After all the shit she got and that Istanbul final, she's on RG SF. I really don't get how some people are against Vondrousova.

What an exciting talent this girl is and even here already the sky is the limit. Next match against Clayta is perfectly winnable too. And who knows, Halep doesn't have a great history against promissing youngsters at Slam finals.

·
First match I've watched of Vondrousova and I like her. All court game, talented, knows her tactics and way about the court. Choking was bad but that will improve with age and experience probably.

Oh, and of COURSE she is Czech. These Czech tennis players I swear :lol: Someone needs to go there and inspect the water to see what they're putting in it that makes such a small country produce so much damn talent. Petronius and other Czech posters have told me the basics about the availability of tennis facilities in Czech but I wanna know all their secrets so I can send them to the Scottish Government and hope to emulate their success for Scotland :p

·
Registered
116,007 Posts
That was a good match! Konta/Vondrousova, just like everyone predicted back in March

·
Registered
23,299 Posts
but but but... she has so beautiful clay court tennis and stuff... :spit: :happy:

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
The whole 2nd set was MV being a wall and Martic making mistakes. In the end Martic lost all her energy hitting shot after shot, trying to end points quicker with Dropshots but none of it works. Very lucky for MV to get away in the 2nd set, Wozniacki mindset right there. Need to be more aggressive against Konta.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
All that choking. "Never mind the quality (at times), just feel the drama".

From being triple set point down at *5-6 0-40, Marketa won 25 of the next 28 points to go 7-6 3-0* up ...

And some of her drop-shots were so bad, they set her up for a lob winner. A cunning plan indeed. As for Petra's attempts :SNE:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
A multiple future French Open winner?

Maky maybe taking some Miss Congeniality lessons from Petra (K). So likeable :)

·
Registered
39,981 Posts
Wow that was tough in the end. It's huge trying to serve for your first Grand Slam SF but Marketa somehow came through in the end.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
What a pathetic choke by Petra and against her pigeon of all birds! Not only she failed to serve out the 1st set, she also had zero interest in triple set point on return just prior tie-break. And then the idiocy in the final game with net play mess when she obviously did not want to play tiebreak after getting routed in the first one. Can't force one to win a Slam QF if they don't want...

·
Registered
225 Posts
OMG, what a second set! Was not rooting for any specific player, but still what a thriller. :SNE:
Marketa was very nervous when attempting to close the match.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Maky :inlove: I never want to see her play the way she did when she tried to serve this out again but thank god she did it in the end :hysteric: otherwise it was great match with a lot of twists and great atmosphere. Like sure, it could've been a bit more quality match at times, but imo as long as you're having fun... :)

please win it all :hearts:

Petra did great and never gave up and it's a pity she couldn't make her first slam semis, too - but I'm glad this one particular win belongs to Maky :cheer:

·
La nuit je mens
89,859 Posts
Martic can have loads of regrets (5-3 lead in set 1, 3 consecutive SPs at 6-5, took back the momentum in set 2 to come back from 2-5 to 5-5) cause she blew most of her chances with very uninspired shot selections (those dropshots :facepalm:)

Marketa is covering the court extremely well, great mover, great ballstriking and nice variety. Her tactic can become very predictable though, even though it's executed perfectly.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Verz intense match. I feel sorry for Petra, she is so likable person. Petra had 3 SP while Marketa went from 0:40 5:6 to 7:6 3:0. In that moment Maky completely dismantled Petra's game until she felt down and got distracted. Petra upper her level and it started to be intense till end of the match. So many long rallies.

Maky she is really drop shots queen and so crafted. TOP20 now for her, TOP10 very soon.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That was a terrific match. Both players fought their hearts out. Martic tried everything but she missed a golden opportunity in the first set with 3 non converted set points. Voundrosova is a great player. Full of variety and great retrieving skills. She doesn't give anything away, and to me she's the favorite to win the whole tournament unless Halep put up a super performance out there.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Would be anticlimatic if Marketa wins now when Martic has taken the upper hand.
And this is actually the end :eek: :eek:h:

But Martić deserved to lose this match as much as I preferred her to win it, also it would be heartbreaking for Vondrousova to lose after wasting MP with a DF. Too many dumb dropshots and bad smashes from Martić.

What a messy match, but surely entertaining. So much choking from both. In the first set Petra choking 5-3 lead and failing to convert any of 3 SP's on Vondrousova's serve when 6-5 up and then in the second Vondrousova choking 5-2 and DF on her MP. Vondrousova was just trying to put the next ball in court, playing 90%+ topspin CC with some occasional dropshot / lob combo and not putting up any risk but at the end of it she wins, somehow against the change of momentum that smelled like 3rd set in the making or at very least TB.

I was pretty sure that now it's Martić winning 2nd set after that double-faulted MP of Vondrousova but WTA is so unpredictable :eek:h:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts