Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Is Serena's leg taped under there? I was wondering why she was moving badly and wearing leggings all the time.

Edit: people on Twitter saying she was favouring her right leg walking off court and at points acting as if the left leg was sore... she clearly has some form of injury...

·
Registered
32,907 Posts
wow.. Bartoli looks baaaad.. Get some meat on your bone, girl.
Don't starve yourself. Eat some burgers. :)
What happened to all of those Pova trolls that was waiting to drag this thread when Rena was losing and playing like crap I might add. :lol:

Congrats to Putintseva. If she keeps this up she has a great future ahead of her.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I definitely dislike Putintseva a bit less after this match. It was pleasantly surprising to see such a nice handshake between her and Serena. Now we know she has respect for at least one player on the tour. :lol: She's super short and doesn't have many weapons but she fights hard and does the best she can with what she has. Reminded me a bit of ASV at some points today.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
This match on the other hand was fun.

I've said this many times before, but Putintseva's ROS is very good for such a young player and above all for one with such a small wingspan. Good anticipation, great hands, can on occasion block/chip back even the biggest serves.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It's always good to see a match where Serena's incredible tennis brain has to make an appearance. Putintseva was exploiting her nerves relentlessly from the minute she clocked them, aiming almost every ball to the Serena BH but still mixing the spins, angles and depths up so that Serena rarely got any rally rhythm.

I assumed Serena would turn it around but I didn't expect her to do it by playing Putintseva's own game of slow rally balls, moonballs and dropshots, interspersed with Serena's usual power game. And Putintseva never went away, no matter the scoreline - she played better in the second set nearly-comeback than in the first set.

So on the one hand Serena's game was sub-par, against the kind of opponent she often struggles with, but this was the kind of match she needed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I assumed Serena would turn it around but I didn't expect her to do it by playing Putintseva's own game of slow rally balls, moonballs and dropshots, interspersed with Serena's usual power game. And Putintseva never went away, no matter the scoreline - she played better in the second set nearly-comeback than in the first set.

So on the one hand Serena's game was sub-par, against the kind of opponent she often struggles with, but this was the kind of match she needed.
you don't get to win 21 grands slams by just playing one style of tennis. you have to be able to adapt to all style of players.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
I assumed Serena would turn it around but I didn't expect her to do it by playing Putintseva's own game of slow rally balls, moonballs and dropshots, interspersed with Serena's usual power game. .
My exact observations after watching the 15-minute highlight on youtube. Serena was pushing. That's why she was struggling. She is better when she is going for her shots, hitting the angles, etc..
Here she was pushing the balls in the middle with nothing on them.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
you don't get to win 21 grands slams by just playing one style of tennis. you have to be able to adapt to all style of players.
it's not like there was something wrong with Serena's normal game. She just made up her mind to play safely in the middle of the court and not go for her shots. And when she plays like that, she makes lots of errors.
Watch this.. No pushing.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Serena :tape:
Putin fought so hard. :sobbing: We will see a lot of her in the future.
We won't, she's rather useless and basic, just like Bouchard.

And god Bartoli, what a mess. All the money in the world and still can't get her teeth fixed, nor get some surgery to remove the hanging skin either.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
This travesty had me ready to throw my phone in the middle of a meeting. I checked the scoreboard so many times my boss thought I was receiving emergency messages.

·
Registered
132 Posts
:haha:

Serena should thank all her gods she was playing Putin who was completely brainless and missed the most basic shots when she had BPs at 4-4 in the second set. :spit: Otherwise she would be on her way back to Miami or wherever she lives these days.

If she doesnt improve for her next match. :scared:
Better to go back to Miami than to be dragged through a litany of court hearings. But hey, what do I know? And no worries about her going back to Miami (or "wherever" as you put it), she's in the semis once again. Thanks for the concern. :kiss:

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Marion is very thin but am even more surprised at how bad her skin looks. Not judging though, just don't remember her skin looking like that. :surprise:

Anyway, this was a great win for Serena. The 2nd and 3rd set were exactly how I thought this match would go, tough set followed by a str8 forward one. The first set was an abomination but Serena probably needed a tough match, and good on Yulia for playing so solidly.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts