·
Registered
39,630 Posts
Glad I missed that one.

Let's do this, Lil Sis!! :yeah:

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
Serena played smart after being down a break in the 2nd when she won 4 games in a row. Mixing it up, adapting to the conditions and the opponent - with the moonballing - but then she kind of went away again. Some of those misses at 4-4 in the 2nd when she tried to come to the net. :unsure: Glad she was able to get the win here, at least she has played a 3 set match before a potential final, unlike AO.

Bullshitting her way to yet another GS title :lol:
That's how good she is!

·
Registered
32,907 Posts
Even juicing your fave still could never. :lol:
:lol:
Serena played smart after being down a break in the 2nd when she won 4 games in a row. Mixing it up, adapting to the conditions and the opponent - with the moonballing - but then she kind of went away again. Some of those misses at 4-4 in the 2nd when she tried to come to the net. :unsure: Glad she was able to get the win here, at least she has played a 3 set match before a potential final, unlike AO.

That's how good she is!
If you wanna call that playing.

·
Registered
39,630 Posts
Mess from Serena in that first set, most awful footwork in the entire tournament by far, completely forgot how to play tennis. Finally remembered how to in the final set.

But when even Putintseva can smile and be friendly with Serena at the net, Serena is now Miss Congeniality by far on the tour.
Serena is the pure embodiment of love and caring.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I mean thats so contradictory ( if thats even a word ) Players should use tactic of looping and slicing ... and the next sentence if she was playing someone with fire power she would loose ? I mean which tactic do you mean ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I stopped watching at 57 44(40 30). I couldn't take it anymore.I even called someone to tell her Serena lost.Was later informed she won.What joy!
Putintseva is really fierce.I love her never giving up attitude.She was a very good test for Serena.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Before I basically hated Putintseva, but she almost made me change my mind. Kudos how well she fought and made this close. She'll be a scary opponent for everyone. A bit like Cibulkova can be, maybe even better?

Hope she cuts the nasty bitch part she tends to pull off when I saw her and she'll be one of my faves

·
Registered
113,362 Posts
I wanted Yulia in a grand slam final. :(
With a semi vs Bertens, who looks injured, Yulia in the final seemed possible at 75 44 break point
But she's lost some close, important matches before, and Serena wins a lot of these
But I think she moves into the top 40 and I expect more slam runs
She's a 1995, so her career is just starting

·
Registered
799 Posts
Proud to be a Yulia Putintseva fan :bigclap:

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Crucial for Putintseva to build on her momentum at the start of the second set which she failed to do despite breaking straight away. Also when she had a comeback to 4-4 and wasted 2 break points to serve for the match it was all over.

Serena's movement once again exposed when someone slices to her backhand or loops a forehand up the line. Why more players (apart from Vinci and Putintseva) don't use this tactic against her is beyond me. Most of her errors came from there.

If Serena had played someone with firepower like Kiki today she'd probably have lost. Messy form from her.
Cornet too, she used that very well in their Wimbledon 2014 match and holds the FH swing till the last minute
Ah sorry I forgot about Cornet. I do wonder whether players/coaches bother to actually prepare for matches against Serena? Because as Stosur, Cornet, Vinci and Putintseva today have proven she doesn't like dealing with those slices and up the line loops. It seems logical for players to use a tactic that works?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
You're right about the forehand swing though, Vinci and Cornet both leave it late it proved effective.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts