Tennis Forum banner

RG 2003: Single Backhand or Double Backhand Champion?

• Single Backhand Champion

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Double Backhand Champion

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single Backhanders:
1. Gustavo Kuerten
2. Albert Costa
3. Alex Corretja
4. Gaston Gaudio
5. Agustin Calleri

Double Backhanders:
1. Juan Carlos Ferrero
2. Carlos Moya
3. Marat Safin
4. Guillermo Coria
5. Andre Agassi

Is the champion of Roland Garros 2003 going to be a single backhander or double backhander?

Let's have a look at the champions in the last decade:

1993 Sergi BRUGUERA (Double)
1994 Sergi BRUGUERA (Double)
1995 Thomas MUSTER (Single)
1996 Yevgeny KAFELNIKOV (Double)
1997 Gustavo KUERTEN (Single)
1998 Carlos MOYA (Double)
1999 Andre AGASSI (Double)
2000 Gustavo KUERTEN (Single)
2001 Gustavo KUERTEN (Single)
2002 Albert COSTA (Single)

Surprisingly, Single backhanded champions vs. Double backhanded champions is even: 5 -5 !!!

2003 ???????? (Single? or Double?) ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh.. since 2000 the champions were all single backhanders.... But I believe this year will back to be a double backhand champion....

Juan Carlos Ferrero or Carlos Moya!! ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Odds are it's going to be a double-hander, while the last two champions were single-handers there is only Corretja to go along with them as a possible contender for the title. And after all, 3 of those single-handed champions are the same person, so historically there have been more two-handed backhand winners at Roland Garros.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
choice of 3 this yr

Marat :) :D :D
Ferrero :)
Moya :D :D

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
Single-hander or double-hander? Youzhnyi or Safin? I don't know. The final can go either way..

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Thought the same as Hackie

I'd rather see a good competitive match be it between single-handers or double-handers or no BH at all. Wait, better no Elmo hunters in the final :)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
Rebecca said:
Thanks for that predictable bit of input ys... I thought that Marat was supposed to win WIMBLEDON? REmember your Sampras theory?
Don't interpret that theory too literally. There are some allowed differences. For instance, just like the theory predicted about Safin, in 1992 and 2002 they both flopped ( with apparent lack of effort ) in a Grand Slam hardcourt final againt a Swedish player. BUT, the player was different, and so was a Grandslam. So, while having a faith in a theory, we shouldn't be too fundamentalist, and be trather flexible, interpreting it. What that theory suggests ( and that is a minimal requirement for a theory to be considered holding ) is that Safin is supposed to win two Slams this year and finish year as #1 (well, if he wins only one and finishes year as #1, I'll still keep my faith ). It doesn't have to be Wimbledon. Wait, wasn't that Ferrero who promised to do precisely the same? Perhaps he had a prophetic dream during which he was given a hint on a future, and he thought it was about him. No, it wasn't..

I'll say a doublehander, just because more contendors are twohanded ;)
Technically, single-hander, as a more powerful shot should be a better weapon for clay.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
ys ....... there's a big difference between Edberg who was total class and an all time great and who Marat lost to in Johansson :eek:

Marat just has to get himself together.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
ys ....... there's a big difference between Edberg who was total class and an all time great and who Marat lost to in Johansson :eek:

Marat just has to get himself together.
Eggy, of course, who would compare one of all-time greats and one of the biggest flukes of the decade. But the theory is not about Swedish players. It is about their opponents..:)

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
thats why i said he has to turn himself around :)
I was saying at start of this week....... maybe 2000 all over again ...... nearly a good start ( lets hope he wins tomorrow)

and Hockey's turned around 4-2 at end of 2nd :bounce:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well, I'll bet Sampras had a surprising loss when he was ill and wasn't at his best. Did he ever lose to any lowly Americans?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Good point - who could forget Agassi's loss to Chris 'Country' Woodruff at the French in 96, or the embarrassing revelation that the last man to unseat him in Australia was none other than fellow American and "ultimate journeyman" Vince Spadea?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
Rebecca said:
*wonders quietly where ys was when Marat was losing Ginepri not long ago*
"Wonders quitely what was Ferrero thinking, while being on his best surface and being spanked by someone who lost to Ginepri 0 and 1 just recently"..

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Becca, it's possible that Roddick loss does count, but then on the other hand Woodruff and Spadea never went on from their wins over Agassi to become Top 10 players. No, it's Sampras' losses to Gaudenzi, Bastl and Mathieu that he has to worry about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts