Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anna you're done, retire already you only gave yourself two years as a serious player 97-98. Go spawn

Pete, always admired your tennis, but you had the personality(used lightly) of a blank piece of paper. Fuckin retire damn! It's not like you can comeback after a year off and win a slam. Your rep. has been tarnished. Rod Laver you're not.

Monica, play as long as you enjoy playing, but why not give yourself a chance by gettin into shape?

·
Registered
197,293 Posts
Let's wait and see about Anna. One should judge Anna when she's for a change not injured and she's very important to tennis. When Anna's playing you always find alot of spectators. Still to early for Anna to retire.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am judging her based on when she's not inured. She's about as stable as Jello!

She's not that important to tennis anymore, she's more like a footnote. Tournament directors use her to sell tickets then discard her after her first round loss.

·
Registered
122,501 Posts
There's an article on Anna in the Style section at StLtoday.com.
That's a week after she played exhibition doubles there. And they're still writing about her.

And don't forget that Anna is the most searched athlete on the internet.
Increasing on-line traffic is a big deal now-a-days.
I think that's the reason she was on the S.I. cover. Not to have a pretty face on the newsstands. But to get people to visit CNNSI.com.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Anna you're done, retire already you only gave yourself two years as a serious player 97-98. Go spawn
Sad thing is, Anna has talent. She just got caught up in the spin and now she has a chronic injury that is going to make it hard for her to get to the level I think she really is capable of attaining.

DA FOREHAND said:
Pete, always admired your tennis, but you had the personality(used lightly) of a blank piece of paper. Fuckin retire damn! It's not like you can comeback after a year off and win a slam. Your rep. has been tarnished. Rod Laver you're not.
Seriously. Retire. No one cares anymore. You totally blew the chance to walk off the court at the 2002 US Open and say, "That's it.....can't top that one. I'm done." But no......we've had musical tournament withdrawals and cryptic messages all year. Just make a damn decision. You look happy with your wife and baby...enjoy it!

DA FOREHAND said:
Monica, play as long as you enjoy playing, but why not give yourself a chance by gettin into shape?
Because it gives her fans an excuse when she loses.....she wasn't in shape because she was injured....she was injured because she wasn't in shape.....etc. infiniti. If she had the surgery a year ago like she should have I truly think she could be challenging for slams. At this point, I think the last train has left that station.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Anna is/was very talented. Her game and form digressed as the years went by. Still like to watch her in doubles.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Shouldn't we add Michael Chang to this list??!! Fuck this farewell tour, where he get all these WC entries, loses in the 1st round, and then we all have to sit and listen to his nostolgic dribble. He has not been a factor on the tour for years now... just RETIRE ALREADY!

·
Registered
23 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
I am judging her based on when she's not inured. She's about as stable as Jello!

She's not that important to tennis anymore, she's more like a footnote. Tournament directors use her to sell tickets then discard her after her first round loss.
Whether she's "important to tennis" is totally irrelevent. As long as she wants to play and as long as tournaments are still giving her wildcards to enter is all that matters. Frankly, why it bothers you that she chooses to continue with her career is a bit baffling. Maybe you're shit at your job, you won't hear me or anyone else demanding you quit.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL! And take Pete w/you! In fact Pete email your resignation, and spare us all.

If I were a sports writer, I'd have already written and posted my Pete Sampras retired story. All this will he or won't he crap is irratating.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the problem is on the actual tennis court she's become irrelevent. It bothers me because she's wasted her talent.

·
Registered
17,877 Posts
Pete and Mike need to retire...

btw, I think Mike's last stop on the farewell tour was RCA, where he lost in the 1st round... bon voyage, sucka!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
B.S.! W/focus and a new coach(a coach) she could compete w/the best. I think you're selling her short.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
B.S.! W/focus and a new coach(a coach) she could compete w/the best. I think you're selling her short.
Actually, much as I usually defend Anna's talent, I don't think she has what it takes to mix it with the VERY best; I certainly don't think that she'd be a regular Slam contender. She has neither the weight of shot nor the tactical brain to use the variety she does have in any meaningful way. And I think a key part of her decline has been her own realisation that she isn't the top 3 player she was hyped up to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Actually, much as I usually defend Anna's talent, I don't think she has what it takes to mix it with the VERY best; I certainly don't think that she'd be a regular Slam contender. She has neither the weight of shot nor the tactical brain to use the variety she does have in any meaningful way. And I think a key part of her decline has been her own realisation that she isn't the top 3 player she was hyped up to be.
Thanks, my feelings exactly. Tennis has changed considerably since Anna was that precocious 16 yr old Wimbledon semi-finalist.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
"Actually, much as I usually defend Anna's talent, I don't think she has what it takes to mix it with the VERY best; I certainly don't think that she'd be a regular Slam contender. She has neither the weight of shot nor the tactical brain to use the variety she does have in any meaningful way. And I think a key part of her decline has been her own realisation that she isn't the top 3 player she was hyped up to be."

AGREED! RETIRE ALREADY!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
cariosity said:
Pete and Mike need to retire...

btw, I think Mike's last stop on the farewell tour was RCA, where he lost in the 1st round... bon voyage, sucka!
Guess again. He will definitely be playing in TMS Cincinnati and I'm willing to lay money on a showing at the US Open as well.

·
Registered
24,716 Posts
anna, pete and monica have their right to decide when to retire, better stick to yoru own business, if you don't like to watch them play, don't watch :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.