Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get leaving a thread up when it's closed because it was originally innocuous but degenerated into warfare but it seems strange to close a thread because it was bashing from the start yet leave it up so that everyone can still read the unsavory comment.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I disagree. Removing threads should be done only in the most extreme circumstances, for example if there is concern for legal action. Even then, closing the thread and deleting specific offensive posts would in most cases be a better solution.

Most people who post here do so because they feel they have something to say, and want to see their opinion read by others. Inoffensive posts should not disappear because some other posts on the same thread do not meet the rules or standards of the forum.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
To give an example of what I meant above: There was a thread in GM about a month ago about some aspect of Maria's alleged doping case, where the OP asked a legitimate question on procedural issues of the case (I forget exactly which). A number of people responded in a civilized manner, offering opinions and/or facts relevant to this question. As the thread progressed, it became increasingly likely that the OP wasn't actually interested in his question, but had used it to bash and/or incite others to bash Maria. Suddenly, the thread was deleted.

This caused several posts that had legitimate information and did not violate forum etiquette to disappear as well. Those posts could be useful to others who legitimately had the same question. I think it would have been better to remove the bashing posts only and possibly issue warnings instead.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most people who post here do so because they feel they have something to say, and want to see their opinion read by others.
:eek:h: Really?

Inoffensive posts should not disappear because some other posts on the same thread do not meet the rules or standards of the forum.
Uh . . did you understand what I posted? I stated that when the thread is started with a bashing comment I think removal is the only valid option.

Having a prohibited comment remain publicly available because the wanker who posted it wants others to see it is senseless and only plays into their game.

·
Administrator
1,945 Posts
Hi,

We never fully delete any threads off the site for legal reasons. If a thread should need to come off there is legal steps that would need to be taken before that can happen. For inappropriate threads that start out that way and are consistently one rude post after another, please report those posts so that the moderator team can look into them and possibly hide, or unapproved, them.

Like RVilkas stated, people post to be part of a community. As long as they are not breaking site rules, the most that can be done is reporting those threads so that the mods can investigate if any rules were broken.

~Sheena

1 - 5 of 5 Posts