Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved 'Jeux Sans Frontieres' as a kid. We had the mundane British 'Its a Knockout', taking place in the likes of Skegness and Mablethorpe...our best British teams would then go through to take on the best Europe had to offer.

The show involed various Europeans in huge silly costumes variously falling into pools, throwing pies etc, competing for supremacy...it was good, light hearted fun and I miss it!

Stuart Hall did the Brit commentary, and added his overflowing enthusiam to it all. It outshone the Eurovision Song contest, as a display of what Europe was all about. :)

We Brits were useless, and often did terribly.

But in our plucky way we had a go! Kinda like in the Winter Olympics...useless but having a go anyway.

Is it still shown in Europe???

·
***** Emeritus
42,442 Posts
OMG "Spel zonder grenzen"! Watched this as a kid... Hilarious sometimes :D

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You bet I remember them!
But those from the 1970s.
In the 1990s, the spirit had already almost vanished - for one thing, it did not move from a country to the other any more, and TV programs had been invaded with all kinds of games in the meantime.
I loved to hear referees (Gennaro and Guido) do the countdown in various languages :)

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Ohhhh, those were the days. I loved it. Especially whenever they did games with water. I absolutely wanted to participate once.
I might organize something like that one day. I've always liked big games, with a lot of participants and water you can fall in.

·
The long and winding road.
50,744 Posts
Oh I loved watching that...It was always so fun and you get to find out some interesting stuff about various places in Europe. :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
SloKid said:
Oh I loved watching that...It was always so fun and you get to find out some interesting stuff about various places in Europe. :)
Not like "Going For Gold", that quiz with Henry Kelly...most of the time the British contestants won because they were the only ones that could understand his strong Irish accent.

Halardfan said:
Stuart Hall did the Brit commentary, and added his overflowing enthusiam to it all. It outshone the Eurovision Song contest, as a display of what Europe was all about.
Stuart Hall :worship: I've seen clips on TV and he's funny on that. He's fantastic on the football on Five Live.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
JSF was fab and Stuart Hall's commentary was hysterical :lol:

Wish they'd show repeats of the original series. I seem to remember the bloody Germans used to always win (back in the 70s that is :eek: ) ;) :kiss:

·
Registered
252 Posts
SloKid said:
Slovenia always had strong teams ;)
BTW I watched yesterday the show from Ljubljana in '94!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Just been doing some rooting around on google and it turns out that "the best of its a knockout" DVD in the UK is called "Here Come The Belgians". Apparently, "look out, here come the Belgians" was one of Stuart Hall's stock phrases on the show :lol:

·
The long and winding road.
50,744 Posts
christos said:
Slovenia always had strong teams ;)
BTW I watched yesterday the show from Ljubljana in '94!
Yes we did. :)

I think we finished second in that show. :lol:

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
ohhhh sweet memories :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
christos said:
How is JSF in your language?
It's Paixnidia Xoris Sinora in greek