Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
If I remember correctly, she was drunk at the time.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
I think she was in prison for three years. I read somewhere that Andrea Jaeger, a sometime doubles partner, was the only player who kept in touch during that time. She apparently sent her 'jello', which was a mystery to me then!

·
Registered
173 Posts
She was in jail for a few months, end '81 /82, but after she couldn't go outside czechoslovakia till early 85 so she was unable to play on the tour. She came back then, and still had a good level who permitted her to be ranked around the top 50, but far from her pre-jail years when she was around top 10/15... Andrea Jaeger came to visit her in Prague a few times, writing her regulary and the wTA tried to make everything possible so that she comes back on the tour but czech authorities wanted to make an example with her, and didn't make it possible before 85.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
hanafan said:
She was in jail for a few months, end '81 /82, but after she couldn't go outside czechoslovakia till early 85 so she was unable to play on the tour. She came back then, and still had a good level who permitted her to be ranked around the top 50, but far from her pre-jail years when she was around top 10/15... Andrea Jaeger came to visit her in Prague a few times, writing her regulary and the wTA tried to make everything possible so that she comes back on the tour but czech authorities wanted to make an example with her, and didn't make it possible before 85.

She played the 1983 Czech National Closed Championships and reached the final, defeating I Petru in the sf (63 63) before going down to Helena Sukova 62 36 64 in the final.

In 84 she won the Czech National Closed Championships: sf Marsikova def Olga Votavova 76 63, Hana Fukarkova def Helena Sukova 64 63; Final Marsikova def Fukarkova 75 63. For that year, she was ranked #4 in Czechoslovakia, behind Mandlikova, Sukova and Budarova.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
1980 Chicago (Avon Futures) Final Marsikova-Jaeger 6:2,6:2
1980 Toronto Final Jaeger/Marsikova-Kiyomura/Nagelsen 6:1,6:3
1980 US Open Qquarterfinal Jaeger/Marsikova-Casals/Turnbull 6:2,6:4
1980 US Open Semifinal King/Navratilova-Jaeger/Marsikova 6:2,6:3
1980 Deerfield Beach Final Jaeger/Marsikova-Navratilova/Reynolds 1:6,6:1,6:2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Will Marsikova return?

From Inside Womens tennis, vol 8 number 6, 6 April '84

The return of czechoslovakian tennis player Regina Marsikova to the Slims tour has been delayed and there is no answer about when she will be allowed to leave her native land, according to her agent Larry Berkman.

Marsikova, 25, who was placed in detention for six months after fatally injureing a woman in a 1981 auto accident, was hoping to rejoin the circuit this year and play at events in Marco Island, Houston and chicago. Berkman said she was given permission by the Czech Government and issued a passport in the first week of January. The passport was actually never sent to the US Embassy in Prague so she could receive her American visa.

Berkman was on the phone with her at the recent Virginia Slims of Florida tournament and said she was "quite frustrated" about the lack of progress in her return to tennis although "her spirits seem to be good considering what she's been through."

He sais "Attempts are being made to find out what the problem is," and felt the holdup is "strictly in the hands of the government."

Berkman praised players who have corresponded with Marsikova to keep her spirits up and said her friend Andrea Jeager has been one of the most active. WTA Director of PR Peggy Gossett Lewis also noted Jaeger's frequent communication with Regina and said "Andrea has kept us posted like a real diplomat." Lewis said the WTA worked with promoter John Korff (Marco Island), George Liddy (Houston) and Larry King (Chicago) to arrange entries in the main draw or qualifying rounds for Marsikova "giving her special consideration because of her unusuals circumstances."

"All parties involved have worked together well in giving her full consideration," Lewis said, adding that although Marsikova was not able to make these events, similar arrangements could be made at other sites in the future after the path to her return in tennis is cleared".

Poor regina she'll have then to wait for one more year before making her return on the US Slims tour!!!

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Re: Regina Marsikova

Here's an article on Regina's 1985 return. She was one tough cookie on clay in the late 70s early 80s.

STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN HAPPY MARSIKOVA LOSES -- 4TH SEED SHRIVER FALLS; [3 STAR Edition]
Tim Povtak of The Sentinel Staff. Orlando Sentinel. Orlando, Fla.: Apr 24, 1985. pg. B.1

Regina Marsikova has a biography sheet showing her recent tennis accomplishments just like the other players on the Women's Tennis Association tour.
Hers, though, is blank.
Once one of the world's best players, she is now unranked, which places her somewhere below the 259th best player. That means she is starting over.
After a 3 1/2-year absence, Marsikova, 26, returned to the tour Tuesday night at the Chrysler Plymouth Tournament of Champions. The layoff showed, though, as she lost to Kathy Horvath, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1, at Grand Cypress Resort. It was her first American appearance since the 1981 U.S. Open.
In a match that didn't end until 12:30 a.m., fourth-seeded Pam Shriver was upset by Katarina Maleeva, the younger sister of second- seeded Manuela Maleeva, 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-4.
"Welcome back," was the way master of ceremonies Ted Tinling introduced Marsikova. She was greeted warmly by the crowd. People were pleased to see her again.
Tennis fans didn't forget. They lost her in her prime.
Marsikova, from Czechoslovakia, has been missing since her visa was revoked following an auto accident in 1981. The accident was deemed serious enough that the Czech government cut her travel.
Although she doesn't talk about the visa problems or the cause, she couldn't hide the excitement of her comeback -- regardless of the loss.
Marsikova looked uncomfortable, tentative when the match began, losing the first seven points before crushing a volley past Horvath. She loosened later, letting some of her talent show through. At times she was the aggressor, but at times she missed easy shots. Her concentration wavered.
She was bothered by the lights. It was the first time in years she played at night. Once she lost the first set in a tiebreaker, she had nothing left. She lacked the match toughness she once possessed.
"I was nervous. Returning is going to take some time, both mentally and physically," she said. "I'm excited about returning. But I obviously need more match experience. I wasn't comfortable during important points."
Marsikova had been ranked as high as ninth. She was 13th when she left the tour.
Before she left, she had beaten Martina Navratilova, Andrea Jaeger, Hana Mandlikova, Wendy Turnbull and virtually everyone else.

Between 1978 and 1981, her average annual winnings were more than $100,000. She won four tournaments in 1977, five in 1978, one in 1979, three in 1980 and one in 1981 before her departure.

Then it all fell apart.

She couldn't play outside her own backyard for two years and she almost went crazy without tennis. She went mountain climbing and skiing, trying to keep occupied. It didn't work. She needed tennis.
"I missed it a lot, more than I realized I would," she said. "That's why it's so great to be back."
Last year she was allowed to play in Eastern bloc countries.
She took advantage of the opportunity in 1984 and won a satellite tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria, qualifying for the Tournament of Champions.
This year, she won two tournaments in Czechoslovakia, one in Poland and one in Hungary. Those, though, were not top WTA caliber.
Regaining her visa recently didn't solve all her problems. Because she can't get a ranking until she has played in six WTA events, entering tournaments is no easy matter.
Aside from this tournament, she must rely on the one wild-card entry for each tournament, or must play her way through a pre- tournament qualifying. She said she hopes to play in Houston next week, but still isn't sure she can gain entry.
"Right now, I'm just hopeful, but that's just the way it is," she said. "I'm not sure about my future."
Beside Shriver's loss, there was one other upset. Anna Maria Cecchini beat seventh-seeded Peanut Louie, 6-1, 2-6, 6-3. In other matches, Michelle Torres beat Michelle Gartha, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1; Etsuko Inoue beat Olga Votovova, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6; Renata Sasak beat JoAnne Russell, 6-4, 6-1; Yvonne Vermaak beat Lillian Drescher, 6-2, 3-6, 6- 2

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

Marsikova was a great clay court player and it is sad that her career was cut short. However it is even sadder and of more importance that someones life was cut short by a drunken driver. Marsikova is lucky that she didnt spend longer in jail.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

Glad I still have the video of her 1st round match against Jo Durie in 1986 - pushed Jo very close, never got to see her play on clay.
I remember watching that match 63 16 86 right? I remember Gerald Williams saying you could hear the sighs from the Clifton Suspension Bridge when Durie missed a match point or something like that.
Marsikova played a good match and her shots deceptively powerful off the grass.
I saw a few matches on tv of her on clay in Germany- a potential Roland Garros winner if she did not have her career interrupted- very close to beating Barker in 76 and Jausovec in 77 who both went on to win the title.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

Yes it was an 8-6 final setter - that comment sounds like something he'd have said.
Whatever happened to Gerry Williams, I liked him as a commentator.
Is he not dead? God forgive me if I am wrong. I agree I liked him too. And he was married for a while to Joyce Hume who was one of the greats of Scottish tennis. Not that we have had many- well apart from Mr Murray and Winnie Shaw.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

Never knew he was married to Joyce.
He just seemed to disappear in the late 80's/early 90's - well off the BBC anyway.
Yes that was when she was Williams in the Wightman Cup matches in the 70's. I remember he was commentating on Sky in the early to late 80's when their tennis coverage started.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts

One of the most torturous matches I ever sat through at Wimbledon was a very, very, VERY long 3-setter when Marsikova squeaked past Ann Hobbs in 1979 - 9-7 in the 3rd. Ann had beaten her on grass in Australia a few months before, and although ranked much lower always had a chance. But it wasn't the to-and-fro scoreline that made it torturous-I was desperate for the match to finish as my then-favourite Kathy May (Teacher) was due on court for the following match... it was SO frustrating and the match seemed never-ending. I actually asked Regina to sign her picture in the Wimbledon programme afterwards, and she did so, generously given that the whole crowd had been rooting for Ann throughout!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

One of the most torturous matches I ever sat through at Wimbledon was a very, very, VERY long 3-setter when Marsikova squeaked past Ann Hobbs in 1979 - 9-7 in the 3rd. Ann had beaten her on grass in Australia a few months before, and although ranked much lower always had a chance. But it wasn't the to-and-fro scoreline that made it torturous-I was desperate for the match to finish as my then-favourite Kathy May (Teacher) was due on court for the following match... it was SO frustrating and the match seemed never-ending. I actually asked Regina to sign her picture in the Wimbledon programme afterwards, and she did so, generously given that the whole crowd had been rooting for Ann throughout!
Was it actually a good match though Declan? I remember getting some yearly tennis book in 1980 and it was going on about how brave a match Anne Hobbs had played and how it could be a significant development in her career. It is strange that Anne lost as I would always have expected her to have the edge over Marsikova on grass. Mind you if memory serves it was a very hot summer- not quite76- and I suppose the higher bounces would have suited Marsikova. Did she venture to the net?
Or did Hobbs dominate there? Regards. IAIN

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

What was Marsikova's game really like. I've heard it reported that she played with thumping topspin, but it would seem to me that she would've been more successful with a game like that, however, from the few pictures I've seen she looked a bit clunky in the movement department and this might have held her back. I wonder too, if she would've made a move up the rankes in '82-3 had she been able to play. I also always think of her as being so much younger than Navratilova but I believe they were Fed Cup teammates I think.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts

What was Marsikova's game really like
My answer to that is lost in the mists of times gone bye! At the time I was a huge Virginia Wade fan. In 1979 Regina made the round of 16 at the US Open against Wade. They were on the grandstand and Marsikova blew out her ankle just a few points into the match. After that she avoided everything but clay if she could. That is the sum total of my big Marsikova memory!

There should be a Marsikova-Austin match on DVD from the Family Circle Cup. If that exists someone could get it and answer your question:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.