Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the match on NBC, Mary Carillo said that Hingis, some years ago, had gone to the Bolleteri camp and hit with some of the young girls. Many were in awe of the champion and hope they would rise to her status. Maria just looked and said, "I hope she's not retired by the time I turn pro". :eek:

Anyway, I like Maria. I've only seen her play during this Wimbledon, but definitely nerves of steel. A lot of you think Serena played badly, but I don't think so. I was looking at the match in terms of what Serena could do to this girl: but she never had a short ball, she tried coming to net, her first serves were returned, she didn't have much luck on Maria's second serves. What could she do :shrug:

Anyway, count me in as a new Sharapova fan. I wanted Serena to get a 3-peat, but am looking forward to a rivalry. Even Serena said to Bud that she has to play more tournaments, as if she actually believes it now.

I would love to see a rematch at the US Open.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Serena did not play bad at all and Maria definitely has no respect for past champions (in a good way). When Sue BArker ask her before the match who did she look up to when she is young, she shrug it off and say she doesn't watch tennis.

What separate a great player from a champion is mental toughness and she has it. we will see how her career will develop from now on

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The over confidence is her best weapon, I think. She even said it didn't matter who to play between Amelie or Serena. She said she would play her own game.

Maria played really well, but Serena didn't today.

As for the Martina H.,... well... I think the 17yrs old Martina would have beaten her today. :p

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Maria likes and respects Martina and I'm sure Martina is very happy for Masha winning Wimbledon. :)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, she just went away. Like Mary Jo and Yvegeny ;)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Maria took away Serena's weapons - she served it came back - she rushed the net and she got a ball in her nose and lobbed - she rallied but she broke down first.Now people will have to try and take away Sharapova's weapons a la Myskina.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I think you posted in the wrong thread :confused:

Anyway, I think Serena should have taken some pace off of her serve, mixed it up so Maria wouldn't get a rhythm...

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
:rolleyes: She also said she didn't have an idol growing up and was quoted as saying her favorite player is herself.:shrug::rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol:

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
During the match on NBC, Mary Carillo said that Hingis, some years ago, had gone to the Bolleteri camp and hit with some of the young girls. Many were in awe of the champion and hope they would rise to her status. Maria just looked and said, "I hope she's not retired by the time I turn pro". :eek:
Definately not a Hingis fan but this sentence is so... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts