Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This I finded today on the official site of the french open

Serena was more forthcoming in assessing her rivalry with Henin, where she owns a 4-2 edge.

"She played very well the last time we played," Serena said. But you had to see the way I played. It was pretty frightening. I couldn't get a ball in. It's very hard to play matches when you're missing 99 per cent of your shots."

C'mon Serena you're weren't missing 99 per cent of the balls. You took a lead in the first and in in the beginning of the second set. Than henin started to mixed it up and made life difficult to you.

I'm still waiting for the day you once will say "My opponent was simply better than me today,no excuse"

If you can say these words than you get a place in my heart. But till now you're a sore loser. Always those exuses.
There's a reason you couldn't hit the balls in. Maybe all your opponents who lose to you can say the same "you had to see me etc..."

Sorry to all Serena fans for this negative thread. But I'm very dissapointed in the way Serena reacts off-court

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Very well said, Fedcup. You have summed up exactly what most people's problem is with Serena.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Well as a Justine-fan I must admid that Rena wasn't on her ultimate best that day but many errors were caused by Justine's play.

I don't care what Serena says :) because she only does it to "scare" other players .. and it won't work with Justine :D
It's just a mental 'war' she's playing,e don't bother about it because the time that Justin lost her game before the match was played (off court) is over :)

Let's fight on the courts Justine and beat her :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with fleemke: As a Justine fan, Serena was surprisingly poor in Charleston. Serena can say what she likes, but if she does end up meeting Justine at this tournament you can bet your bottom dollar that she will be aware of the potential damage that Justine can do (should be a great match actually with the courts playing this slow allowing both players to slug it out). And she won't be taking Justine's threat lightly at all.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
It is not at all that serious. Thats like someone saying.....It's Hot as "Hell" outside or I'm as hungry as an Elephant.

Serena knows she didn't miss 99% of her balls she used an exaggeration to show that according to how she usually plays she missed alot.

Give her a break peeps. She stated Henin played VERY well.

just my 2 cents. Nothing to fight over, just another way of looking at her statement.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
As a WS fan I can say that imo Serena does exaggerate with the I couldn't hit ANY/99% of the balls line!! And I think that Henin/Mauresmo have the best chance to throw her off, b/c that is not the rythem that she is used to playing.

However,
I believe it was Mary Carillo that stated that Serena is pretty much correct, if she is on, it doesn't matter what is on the other side. Even Fernandez will admit to that, to some extent.

I can understand that you would be frustrated b/c you feel your player is not getting her due ...TRUST me as a WS FAN....I can understand that. But really, haven't we had enough bash Serena b/c she said or didn't say, kissed or didn't kiss, knows or doesn't know something/someone threads. Or is this an issue that is going to come up everytime. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and like assholes...we all have one :) But really......

·
41,227 Posts
WTATour4Ever...as a big Justine fan, I'm the first to admit that when Serena is on, she's hard to stop.

But I believe that Justine can hang in there when Serena is on..she can mix it up and start to frustrate Serena, who wants to finish points asap. That's where she will get out of her best game and start making errors. Serena is impatient on court, and if players like Justine, Kim or Amélie can hang in there and bring back lots of balls..Serena will start making those errors

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
per4ever....I know we don't talk much....but I think the only players that can stop Serena at this point is a mixer. And Amelie and Justine have it in that category.

What I've notice in the past...didn't see the Charelston match, but Justine like Hingis use to do, is try to match stroke for stroke. Serena Loves pace, and thats where Amelie and Justine can throw off her game. They have the best chances at that.

But Serena was off, and when she's on, we all agree she's tuff. But everyone's beatable.

·
2,109 Posts
per4ever said:
WTATour4Ever...as a big Justine fan, I'm the first to admit that when Serena is on, she's hard to stop.

But I believe that Justine can hang in there when Serena is on..she can mix it up and start to frustrate Serena, who wants to finish points asap. That's where she will get out of her best game and start making errors. Serena is impatient on court, and if players like Justine, Kim or Amélie can hang in there and bring back lots of balls..Serena will start making those errors

I agree with you 100%. Henin isn't the same player she was last year and they were close, and Serena has yet to show me her form from last year so if/when they meet I don't think anyone will be taking Henin for granted. Will Henin be able to stay calm and close the match, can Serena stay patient, will she raise her game etc etc......either way, we will all be on the edge of our seats b/c .....well...thats really when tennis is more enjoyable for me. Thats why I love Serena/Jennifer matchups, b/c they were always gritty down the wire...you don't know who is gonna take ...type matches!!!

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
The only time I have seen Serena give her opponent some credit was when she beat Els Callens 7-6 7-6.

"She played like the #1 player out there today" :drool:

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
LOL id like to see Henin beat Serena when Serena is 100%

but its not gonna happen....not in this lifetime

as far as im concerned the only player to beat Serena when Serena was playing well that i can remember was Monica in LA 7-6 7-6

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am sure Henin and Serena may meet in the semi-final. So let's wait and see what Serena means by not getting the 96% of her balls in.
It could be she means Henin will never get that chance again.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This is the real quote:

Q. Obviously, since you started your drive early last year, you've had fabulous records against virtually everyone out there. But Justine has beaten you a couple times. What in Justine's game gives you a little bit of trouble?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think she just played very well the last time we played. I know the one time she beat me, it was really tight and we both were struggling that day, and that was just a fun match. It was like 7-6 in the third, if I recall. It could have been anyone's match. She just so happened to get it. But it was a lot of fun.
Last time in Carolina, I just -- you had to have seen the match and seen the way I played. I think I was pretty frightening that day, couldn't get a ball in. It's tough, it's very hard to play matches when you're missing 99% of the shots.

·
Keeper of Secrets
8,981 Posts
hmmm do you think Justine cares what Serena said after her loss. If Serena had given Justine MORE credit,would it have changed the fact that Justine was the first player to defeat Serena this year and won her second tournament of the year.

Serena is Serena, like her or dislike her, Serena won't change, so get over it!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks Gandalf. To me the full quote tells a lot. The fact that Serena remembers the Berlin final of '02 (3rd set tiebreak victory for Henin), means that she does have respect for Justine's game and how they match up when they play each.

Kinda confirms what I knew already.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
do we really need another one of these threads. i think everything that needs to be said on issue from both sides of the debate have already been posted at least 10 times.

1) if serena is at her best henin is never going to beat.

2) serena always exaggerates how badly she plays by using description like 99% and 9000, notches. it is just her way of saying she did not play well so you just got to get over it because it is just the way she expresses herself, she is not literal.

3) serena fans have the strength not to post in this thread because there just is no point opening up this can of worms again

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I wish she didn't say it, because even though it is true that she didn't play her best, part of being a champion is being gracious in defeat, and crediting your opponents. Lord knows she does a good job of it with Venus:rolleyes: .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts