Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reality check for Jen, Hewitt
Also: Federer, Roddick, Seb, Ancic, Mauresmo, Connors, Andre & Anna K.

By Matthew Cronin

http://www.*******************/tr.net_photos_art/SERENA_sm_wb_04_pose_250.jpg​
http://www.*******************/tr.net_photos_art/MAURESMO_fm_wb_04_bh_250.jpghttp://www.*******************/tr.net_photos_art/SCHALKEN_sm_wb_04_bv_250.gifhttp://www.*******************/tr.net_photos_art/HEWITT_fm_wb_04_down_250.jpghttp://www.*******************/tr.net_photos_art/GROSJEAN_fm_wb_04_smile_250.jpghttp://www.*******************/tr.net_photos_art/MAYER_fm_wb_04_250.gif
Susan and Fred Mullane/Camerawork USA​
From the top: Serena Williams,
Amelie Mauresmo, Sjeng Schalken, Lleyton Hewitt, Sebastien Grosjean
and Florian Mayer

Jennifer Capriati was upset that her rivalry with Serena Williams was over-hyped, so much so that she stung the press for building it up too much and increasing the pressure on her before their Wimbledon quarterfinal. But what she really meant to say and will likely concede when she gets over arguably one of the worst losses of her career is that she never believed she could beat Serena on grass.

A 6-1, 6-1 defeat proves that. Unless she was willing to go for broke early and believe a whole hell of lot more in her serve and return, Capriati had no chance of winning. She didn't believe she could trade knockout punches with the in-form Serena and it clearly showed. There was no exhausting Serena a la Roland Garros on this day.

An in-tune Serena is far more adaptable to grass than Capriati is. Her first and second serves mean business on turf, as do her slap shot returns. Jennifer's stroke are simply too long and without proper conditioning, she's not fast enough off the mark. She has tremendous work to do before Athens and the US Open. Her new trainer had better get to work fast.

Roddick on the match: "I was in the bathroom. I came out and it was done."

Does Amelie Mauresmo really have a chance against Serena? Not if she's going to land forehand loopers into the mid-court area like she did against Paola Suarez. She's going to have play ultra-aggressive yellowball and pray that Serena has an off-day on her serve, or she'll be French Toast without the benefit of a long bath in eggs and cinnamon. … And what of Suarez, who backed off the net in third set. Waiting for a choke in a Slam quarter is never the way to go.

BIG HITTING GOOD FOR BIG LINDSAY
Don't overrate Maria Sharapova's chances against Lindsay Davenport on Thursday. Lindsay loves to play clean-hitters and given that they are virtual-play alike's considering that coach Robert Lansdorp helped teach them their primary strokes, Davenport won't be fooled. Davenport has a much cleaner forehand, although Sharapova moves a lot better and is a more aggressive returner. Davenport rarely loses to kids without huge, consistent serves and who can't play standout defense (re: the Williamses and Kim Clijsters), so it will take an extraordinary effort from Sharapova to take her down.

Davenport simply won't give back off points like Amy Frazier and Ai Sugiyama did. Plus, if Lindsay serves well, she'll have Maria guessing all day long. Sharapova needs to get off to a very fast start and not hit herself out of rallies too early. She needs to remember that the key against Davenport is to extend her beyond three balls. She should go to Ms. Clijsters-Hewitt and ask her for some advice. Kimmy owned Lindsay last year. If she can't locate Kimmy, the vanquished Karolina Sprem could offer a word to the wise, too.

DOUBLE FAULTS KILLS LLEYTON
It's rare to see Lleyton Hewitt choke and it's obvious that Roger Federer is a better player than the Aussie is right now. But he double faulted on a break point at 4-3 in the fourth set and then on a match point shows a fair amount of nerves. Either that, or he feared the Federer return. The Swiss really worked Hewitt from the backcourt and hit his one-handed backhand as well as he ever has. His forehand was also more forceful than Hewitt's was, as well as his serve, volley, etc.

Look who's looking like a dominant No. 1 now, Lleyton? Certainly not you and, if you don't develop a few more weapons, you could soon be soon be joining your wife-to-be in the secondary contender category.
"I was a better player the whole fourth set and have very little to show for it now," Hewitt said. "One minute, you're up a break, 4-all. I had breakpoints. On a couple he came out with big serves. 5-4, I felt like I didn't play that bad a game. He attacked and went for it a little bit and it paid off then. Then you're in the locker room. … He's a good competitor. He's a lot better than he probably was a couple years ago. He gives a hundred percent out there. It's not too often that he goes away. That's a part of his game he's probably worked on over the last couple of years that's really made him be one of the best players around."

Hewitt said a quad injury he suffered in the fourth round against Carlos Moya helped do him in, especially on his serve. "My serve was the worst. It got worse and worse as the match went on." It also appears that the Olympics are a definite no-no for the super-patriot from Adelaide.

Federer will facing the flying Sebastien Grosjean, who reached his second successive Wimbledon semifinal with a 7-5, 6-4, 6-2 win over Germany's Florian Mayer. It should be a delightful semifinal and don't expect the veteran Frenchman to fade easily. He has a load of talent and a lot to play for.

A-ROD slams schalken
In his 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (11-9), 6-3 over No. 12 seed Sjeng Schalken, Andy Roddick hit a number of impressive shots, but our favorite was his leaping overhead on match point. Pure Sampras. His confidence in his second serve is also Pete-esque. What's really impressive about Roddick right now is his ability to change his style match to match depending on who he plays. Credit Brad Gilbert a great deal, but also give Andy his own props. He's keeping his head in matches which allows him to think properly.

"I'm older," he said. "It's just a matter of experiences. Last year at this time [against Federer] it was probably my biggest match to date. I played the semi in Australia, but I wasn't a hundred percent fit, so I didn't really consider that the same kind of level. Since last year's semi, I've played a lot of big matches, whether it be in the US Open, the finals of Masters Series events, matches where the No. 1 ranking is on the line. I've been in a lot more pressure situations, and I think that helps."

HOW TALL MUST YOU BE TO BEAT RODDICK?
After two years of teasing the tennis world, Mario Ancic has become a prime-time player. Do you think he and Goran scripted it that way? Andy is going to have a hell of a time returning his serve, but Mario doesn't return that well and will eat a number of Andy's flat blasts into his chest. The much-talked about Federer-Roddick final is looking very, very good.

"He's serving great," Roddick said of Ancic. "I don't know what's in the water in Croatia, but it seems like every player is over seven feet tall. He's more experienced. He's committed to coming in on every shot. There's not a lot of indecision in his game right now. He's kind of saying, 'This is what I got, you know, deal with it.' And I think that's a good mind set for him to have."

Quote of the day from Ancic on what advice Goran has given him: "When I was small, 15, 16, 14, I was more playing from baseline. He was said keep on improving that volley game, keep on going to the net. He also said when I was 12, 'You know, keep on breaking racquets.' "

Notes from all over
Anna Kournikova is house shopping in Brentwood, California. … Jimmy Connors put himself through a one-hour softball interview with the BBC's Sure Barker and then refused to be interviewed by NBC. … The AP surprisingly reported that Andre Agassi could miss the US Open. But he'll begin playing World Team Tennis next week for the Sacramento Capitals, so how that was deduced it beyond me. Andre on his hip injury: "The jury is still out on my hip and it's something I've struggled with on and off for a while now. Not playing the clay season and then going straight out to the grass compromised how it's feeling. I knew I wasn't physically in a position to be anywhere near my best. I'm hoping this time off, combined with being back on the hard courts, will be a good opportunity for me to feel a lot better. It's one step at a time." Hard courts being good for a bad hip? Not in anyone's lifetime.

Now here's a piece of info that slipped out during the Agassi conference call: His son, Jaden Gil almost sustained an injury worse than his dad's. "I try to allow my children to distract me as much as possible when I'm not training. Nothing can take your mind off Wimbledon more than seeing your boy fall down and almost break his nose." Ouch.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
The fact is Hewitt is simply not on the same level as Federer. The only way he won against Federer in the past was: 1. confidence 2. mental toughness.

Now with 2 slams, Federer has both, and Hewitt will have to wait for Federer to be off or sick to win against him again.

The age of the caretaker #1 is over. I think he's headed for Chang's career, early prominence, and then consistency and finally mediocrity.

Federer and Roddick appears to be the Sampras and Agassi for this decade, so far.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
I find it very amusing how people love to predict the future of certain tennis players. I always like to see players prove the armchair critics wrong. ;)

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Oh, and SamL .... I wonder how you would like it if you made world #1 only to be called 'caretaker #1'.

Sorry, but I think your comment is unwarranted. Hewitt was consistently the best player in the world during his reign as number 1, some people just have trouble handling that for some strange reason. He is far superior to Chang in terms of his record - he has won the USO and Wimbledon and won 2 consecutive Tennis Masters Championships! No mean feat.

Reactions: ~|Naomi|~

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
If she can't locate Kimmy, the vanquished Karolina Sprem could offer a word to the wise, too.

I love this part, after saying Kim owned Davenport , there is this bit of advice, as though K-lina nearly defeated Davenport. Vera has given Her the hardest match so far(not that it was good enough)but if a player is not one of the 'buzz' ones of the moment, they are ignored! I am going to shed a few tears now, to save Vera from having to do it!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Hewitt today prove himself that he deserves those two slam titles before. Roger was just too good, and to take a set and manage to break him is magnificent. It brings the best out of Roger, and I hope to see more battle from them.

For Jennifer, I hope she can recover from this. French Open semis and now these...

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
I think Jennifer and Lleyton both have a great chance at the US Open. I think they are both much better on hardcourts than they are on grass.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Reality check for Jen, Hewitt
By Matthew Cronin
What a stupid headline... :rolleyes:

tennisIlove09 said:
Roddick on the match: "I was in the bathroom. I came out and it was done."
I would have prefered to spend some time with Andy in the bathroom :hehehe: instead of watching my Jen losing so badly... :sad:

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I don't really think it is a reality check for Lleyton, he has already lost to Federere this year and Lleyton is just slowly coming back into form. He has had tough slam draws this year, lost at AO to the champ and RG to the champ and now probably at WImbledon to the champ, if he doesn't get a Federere QF at the US Open he should make the semis.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
It ain´t about reality check....it´s just that Roger is a better player than Hewitt when they both play their best, Roger´s gonna win because Roger has more weapons than Hewitt. And right now no one is playing better tennis than Roger....Hewitt still´s gonna pose trouble for most players, but Roger and Andy´s game are just too big for Hewitt.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
tennisvideos said:
Oh, and SamL .... I wonder how you would like it if you made world #1 only to be called 'caretaker #1'.

Sorry, but I think your comment is unwarranted. Hewitt was consistently the best player in the world during his reign as number 1, some people just have trouble handling that for some strange reason. He is far superior to Chang in terms of his record - he has won the USO and Wimbledon and won 2 consecutive Tennis Masters Championships! No mean feat.
:yeah:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts