Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S. WILLIAMS/B. Rittner 6-2, 6-1
Q. Could you talk about how you felt today, opening day?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely felt pretty good. Usually when I go into a first round, I'm a little bit nervous because no one wants to lose in the first round, especially of a Grand Slam.
But I felt like I'm almost where I want to be.

Q. After she broke you in your second service game, it seemed like you really went into another gear. Can you talk about that. What did you say to yourself to get yourself going?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I just thought it was pretty upsetting that I had to lose serve there, as I didn't really want to lose serve this tournament. Yeah, right (smiling).
But I was just -- I just said to myself that I wanted to be more focused, some things I wanted to work on and try. I didn't do it in that game, so I had to get my bearings straight.

Q. Could you say a few words about the conditions, how the court is playing, the atmosphere.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think the court is playing well. I think maybe -- I don't know, it's not too slow, it's not too fast. Roland Garros, I think it was a nice crowd out there. I felt really good. It was really fun to be back out where all the magic began last year for me. I was really excited of all the fans that were there to just cheer me on today.

Q. After spending several days practicing with your sister, is it sometimes difficult in a first match on clay to get used to a pace that isn't quite as rapid as Venus gives you?
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, actually it isn't. It's not at all. One would think that it would be, hitting against Venus and my other male hitting partner. But, you know, it's not at all because I think at that moment you're so into playing that person that you're not even really considering how you were in practice.

Q. How do you fill the time between your matches?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm going to go buy some shampoo and conditioner (smiling).

Q. Normally how do you fill the time?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, it's great because today I was really happy to see I was first on because that means I'll have almost two days off nearly, because hopefully I'll get done early, then I have the rest of this day, then tomorrow, as well.
I'm going to try to get to bed early again today and relax. Same tomorrow. Practice early. If Venus plays early, I'll go. If not, I'll go back to the hotel and relax.
It really worked out great.

Q. 16 times to the net today, you made 13. Are you getting more comfortable, is it part of an evolving strategy, or did you play the ball and go up when you got a short ball?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't do that. Honestly, I've been trying to come to the net a little bit more. I think works in the Fed Cup with Billie Jean and Zina really showed a different aspect of my game. I've been really able to improve. I'm really confident. There's nothing like having confidence. I think when you have confidence, you're able to do a lot better.
When I'm coming to the net, I feel like I'm going to make my volley every time.

Q. Is that transition game getting natural?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Before, honestly I didn't really enjoy to come. But now I look forward to coming to the net. And I think that is a big difference. It's good. I'm a six-times Grand Slam doubles champion. I just didn't feel comfortable at the net. But now I love to come. It's like my best game, my best options are there.

Q. Can you talk about your fitness after Key Biscayne, what specifically did you do? Did you lose weight? Do you feel leaner? What did you do between then and now?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I haven't stepped on a scale in about six, seven years. I never will step on a scale, so I'm not sure if I lost weight or not.
I just worked a lot on my fitness, my legs, because coming into a clay court season, it's very important to have your legs in the best possible shape that you can be in, as well as obviously some gym stuff.
You go into Roland Garros, clay court season, I expected to play a few more matches in the clay court season, but I didn't.
You know, usually you have to be in really good shape.

Q. Back to your play inside the service line. Is one of the things you've been working on trying to make a smoother transition to the net after you strike the ball, almost as if you're coming to the net in one flowing motion?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, actually I've been trying to hit the shot and then go instead of hit and go at the same time. Usually I kind of rush it, then I end up missing my shot. So I've just been trying to calm down and take the ball and just relax and not rush so much.

Q. Why don't you like stepping on the scales? Is it because you can look in the mirror and just see how you are without getting it measured?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think it's like an American thing. No woman in America -- pretty much everyone thinks they're overweight. I currently believe like I need to lose 15 pounds (laughter). Even Venus says she needs to lose 15 pounds, which we know is ridiculous.
I don't know, that's just the way we are.

Q. So you don't step on the scale?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I can get depressed. Because muscle weighs a lot (smiling). I am 135 (laughter).

Q. How many people are traveling with you and Venus?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's my mom, my hitting partner, my trainer, my dog, yeah, my body guard.

Q. At most tournaments is it like that?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, in Europe. It's the same in most tournaments. If it's not my mom, it's my dad.

Q. Do you prefer staying in hotels or in a house?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. I kind of prefer the hotel sometimes, but the house is fine. Like at Wimbledon, it's perfect.

Q. Do you stay in the same house at Wimbledon each year?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I've never stayed in the same house. I keep switching. I haven't found that special one yet.

Q. Now you won four Slams in a row. Talk about when you get to another Grand Slam, is there a special feeling? Do you feel like you're the mentally toughest player out there so you can throw off the losses the last couple months because you know how to win the Slams?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think it does take a new level to be able to win the Slam. I think it's important not to throw out the losses, because everything counts. I think it also puts me back in perspective as to where I want to be, and if you slack off, this is what happens.
I don't know. Obviously I would like to win here. But I kind of forgot your question.

Q. When you go into a Slam, after four in a row, do you think people see you and say, "There's the player to beat"? You know how to win all sorts of matches under all conditions.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I think so, especially winning four in a low. I think in Australia I was down and out in two matches, and a very tough final. So I think players generally believe that I'm the player to beat in any tournament, especially in Slams, because like I kick it up to a new level physically and mentally because this is what I play tennis for mostly, is to be remembered.

Q. Do you think over the last year that both Justine and Mauresmo have improved?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, definitely. I definitely think they've improved from year to year. As the years go on, they're getting a lot better. That's the only way you can compete in any sport, is to improve. You can't stay at the same level.

Q. Do you remember what it feels like to lose a Slam?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, of course. I remember. It didn't feel so good. But I think that was in the final the last time I lost. I lost to Venus. But it was okay.

Q. Is that something you think about, you remember that feeling at all?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely remember that feeling. It's also important that I don't forget that feeling because it could be around the corner. You never know. You just have to stay focused. It's important not to forget, never forget.

Q. Virginia Wade has said she doesn't think Venus will be around so much longer because she's realized you're much better than her.
SERENA WILLIAMS: You're kidding. I haven't heard this comment. Everybody has different opinions. Everybody says different things. I mean, I don't know. You have to ask Venus

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
did Viginia really say that? stupid woman! sounds like Serena does nt do much on her days off, she sounds very prepared for this tournament

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Thank you Slydevil...!!!

:) :) Thanks very much Slydevil for posting the post match interview. That Serena girl is too, too funny. And the bit about the scales is just plain crazy...!!!

Again thanks Slydevil...!!!

Gooooooooo SEEEReeeeNAAAA!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
:) nice read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts