Tennis Forum banner

901 - 920 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
36,364 Posts
Klute: 8/10
(Alan J. Pakula, 1971)

It's a slow burn, brilliant moments alternate with poorly done scenes, and the basic story is not particularly interesting. But Fonda and Sutherland are enthralling in it, and I absolutely loved the photography, music and atmosphere.

·
Registered
31,589 Posts

Sense and Sensibility, 9/10 - Maybe I've re-acquired the taste for costume pics, or maybe it's just that Austen is a nice antidote to the times we live in. Thompson is a double-threat here, she provides a perfectly-nuanced performance - she and Winslet are both sensational - and is also responsible for the excellent screenplay.

·
HEADBANGER
69,846 Posts

·
Registered
36,364 Posts
Krisha: 8/10
(Trey Edward Shults, 2015)

Cassavetes through a horror movie lens. Perfect preparation for next weekend's family dinner.

·
Premium Member
104,783 Posts
Kin - 3/10. Looked like a sci-fi tv series pilot than a film itself.

Borg vs Mcenroe - 7/10. It was like a psychological thriller for Borg... I thought he was a psycho or something.

·
Registered
36,364 Posts
Haywire: 4/10
(Steven Soderbergh, 2011)
Did Soderbergh intend to deliver a sexy spy thriller? If he did, he failed miserably. There's some phenomenal fight scenes, and Gina Carano does an okay job. But the photography is extremely ugly: glowy, blown out and cluttered with filters. And what's worse is how poorly written and just plain and boring it is.

Christine: 7/10

(John Carpenter, 1983)
Certainly not top tier Carpenter, but still very watchable and extremely well made.

·
Premium Member
104,783 Posts
Siblings of the Cape - 7/10. The theme would trigger a lot of hate but this was a challenging film. Not much going on but it was a well made film given the tight budget. The leading actress completely nailed it.

·
Registered
31,589 Posts

The Day of the Jackal, 8/10
- Well-crafted 70s thriller that still grips.

·
Registered
31,589 Posts
Grandma, 8/10 - Bit contrived with its "bonding across 3 generations" premise, but it's mostly a vehicle for 75-year old (at the time) Lily Tomlin and she doesn't disappoint.

·
Premium Member
104,783 Posts
Crazy Rich Asians - 5/10. Just very average. But god damn Gemma Chan and Henry Golding look very tasty. Should have been the pair. Glad to see some Cantonese-speaking scenes. And hi Michelle Yeoh.

The Art of Self Defense - 4/10. Am I the only one who finds Jesse Eisenberg irritating?

How to Train Your Dragon - 8/10. Beautiful film for all ages. That ending of very daring.

·
Registered
36,364 Posts
Rewatched the original Jurassic Park trilogy:

Jurassic Park: 9/10
(Steven Spielberg, 1993)
Not all performances are great (the children's outright bad), but it's a tight, exciting two hours and it still looks great for the most part.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park: 6/10
(Steven Spielberg, 1997)
Yes, still plenty of good scenes, and I appreciated how horror-like some of these feel. But on this rewatch I noticed how bad the dialogue is, just information dumps, it sounds like these people do not talk to each other outside of the frame. Most of the characters' behaviour is ludicrous, which makes it hard to not wish them to die.

Jurassic Park III: 4/10
(Joe Johnston, 2001)
Unbelievably, these people are even dumber and more annoying than the ones in "The Lost World". Whoever wrote Téa Leonie's characters should be screamed at for all eternity.

·
Premium Member
104,783 Posts
I HATE LOST WORLD, especially the puzzling final act (See a few pages before). Easily one of the worst sequels and one of the Spielberg's worst.

·
Registered
36,364 Posts
yeah, that whole san diego section is godawful and out of place. still amazing compared to most things in JP III.

·
Premium Member
104,783 Posts
Wet Season - 8.5/10. The theme can be very controversial but I just love how it describes loneliness and delicacies of relationships without any moral judgments.

Fidelity - 3/10 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Russian films.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
James White (2015) - 7.5/10

The movie stands due to great performances by Christopher Abbot and Cynthia Nixon and their complicated mother-son relationship.

901 - 920 of 949 Posts