Tennis Forum banner

841 - 860 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
12,391 Posts

Lost girls 8/10

Exceptional performance by Amy Ryan elevates this otherwise uneven and meandering plot with odd editing choices.

Also, music is great.

·
63,615 Posts

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 3/10.

It's all over the place. Was there even a plot?

The best part of the movie was definitely the ending. It was a fun surprise especially for those familiar with the Manson family and the murders.

·
Registered
36,151 Posts
The Manchurian Candidate: 8/10
(John Frankenheimer, 1962)

How relevant is it today? Well … "There are people who think of Johnny as a clown and a buffoon, but I do not. I despise John Iselin and everything that Iselinism has come to stand for."

·
Registered
31,408 Posts
The Manchurian Candidate: 8/10
(John Frankenheimer, 1962)

How relevant is it today? Well … "There are people who think of Johnny as a clown and a buffoon, but I do not. I despise John Iselin and everything that Iselinism has come to stand for."

Great film. "Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life." 😄

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Parasite 10/10

What should I say about this film that is heaping praise upon praise? It is marvelous and every bit deserving of the hype it is getting. All the elements of this film come across very well; acting, cinematography, screenplay, direction. Not a scene is wasted and every dialogue (every dialogue packs a punch of social commentary).

·
Heaux
29,734 Posts

8,5/10. What an underrated movie, completely went unnoticed during 2018 awards season.
Lovely performances allround by the entire cast and the narrative had tight focus despite dealing with quite a lot of characters.
A number of stunning cinematography shots too.

·
Registered
36,151 Posts
My Neighbor Totoro: 9/10
(Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)

This is what I remember childhood feeling like. An unaffected mix of naturalism and magic.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts

The jacket 6/10

A revisit from about 12 years ago. Not as good as I remembered it. Young Brody was fine. Young Knightley couldn't act.

·
Registered
36,151 Posts
I recommend watching Grave of Fireflies too :)
I will surely do so at some point, thanks.

The Haunting: 8/10
(Robert Wise, 1963)

The haunted house genre has become so tired and well-worn that it was good to go back to one of the classics, where a gorgeously eerie setting and minimal distortion of reality create maximum effect. Truly psychological horror, touching on themes like family trauma, unrequited love, outsiderdom and queerness. The core team was interesting and complex, although Julie Harris as Eleanor was maybe a little annoying and over the top.

·
Registered
36,151 Posts
Minding The Gap: 9/10
(Bing Liu, 2018)

A truly astonishing work of art that Bing Liu managed to create from footage that spans more than a decade. In a story that feels deeply personal, the director manages to touch on subjects like trauma, domestic violence, social structures and economic pressure in the most natural way.

·
Registered
27,404 Posts
I hadn’t been here for a while so here comes a big post with a few of my quarentine movies that I found interesting enough, ordered as they happened chronologically:

Damsels in Distress (Whitman) 9/10

So I decided to made a Greta Gerwig mini marathon evening about two weeks ago, as I’m finding myself more and more invested in her career.
This was my favorite of the three, and it was a rewatch, and I’m finding my appreciation growing each time. Greta is delicious as Violet, I love all the oddball characters, and the screenplay has so many iconic, deadlines lines that Grewig delivers so effortlessly that is bound to become a future classic.

20th Century Women (Mills) 8/10

This movie takes a bit to take off but when it does it really makes a warm and lively movie about nostalgia. There’s something in the loosening of the plot and the quirkiness of the characters that make Greta fit so well in this. That this got a Oscar nomination for writing out of nowhere is surprising but in a very positive way. Bening was amazing and so was Greta. The rest of the cast was very good too.

Frances Ha (Baumbach) 7.5/10

Then I also liked Frances Ha a lot but I find it at times too self concious (Baumbach’s movies in general usually are from what I’ve seen) Anw I could watch 2 more hours of Greta’s character making bad decisions, daydreaming and trying to find her purpose in life. I’m not sure this could have worked with another actress tbh. And the Woody Allen influence is so obvious here.

Performance wise, it’s hard to decide with I preferred more among Frances Ha and Damsels but Gerwig is fantastic in all them so I hope she doesn’t stop acting completely now her career as an auteur is taking off very successfully because she has a unique quality and on screen presence.

Contagion (Soderbergh) 7/10

Of course among my quarentine movies I had to include this. Funnily, I’ve never been interested of watching it cause I’m not into disaster movies of any sort, but sadly 2020 craziness made this relevant and interesting to me. It’s uncanny how many similarities you can find with the current Covid-19 crisis.

Other than the great cast (In which shines the often understated Jennifer Ehle above anyone else) I was very impressed with the score, the cinematography and the editing and overall it was very nicely armed.

Sauvage (Vidal-Naquet) 8/10

French actor Felix Maritaud (who I knew from french film 120 Beats per Minute) carries the entire film in a very committed and fantastic performance, playing a young gay hustler struggling to survive and find love while dealing with some health problems. It’s not an easy watch at times (I found one particular scene quite disturbing, those who saw the film will know which I’m referring to) but it’s rewarding and sort of Dardenesque in its cut style.

Emma (De Wilde) 7.5/10

Johnny Flynn was easily MVP here. I loved his portrait of Knightley. He was perfect and the best Knightley I’ve seen so far.
O’Connor was also great, very funny and charming as always. This is another further proof of his talent and versatility.
Mia Goth was great too.
Taylor-Joy was good I guess, but I much prefer Paltrow and Garai versions of Emma. Maybe I expected more after “The Witch”.
Overall this was very nice. The costumes, Score and Production Design were gorgeous.
But to me this was not superior to that 90s Paltrow movie and the 00s BBC miniseries starred by Romola Garai so I was a bit disappointed as I expected a bit more, after reading some reviews.

Fin de Siglo (Castro) 10/10

I really, really loved this film.
I’m impressed by the finesse and maturity that director Lucio Castro has shown in his first film.
The actors (Argentinian Juan Barbieri and Spaniard Ramón Pujol) have incredible chemistry and make a very committed and naturalistic work. They are both fantastic (and also very good to look at).
The bold structure, combining real time with flashback 20 years ago and then the last part with the imagine “what if” is a success and somehow make a very cohesive story, with melancholy flowing throughout all the film.
This was such a warming and joyful and heartbreaking experience, filmed with such exquisite taste.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

...i also watched Contagion and Outbreak you know, fun watch, during the apocalypse.
...i thought Contagion 7/10 was good, they way they showed how it started and how they found it.
...i thought Outbreak 5/10 was kinda ott and predictable.

841 - 860 of 898 Posts