Tennis Forum banner

801 - 820 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
7,929 Posts

Gisaengchung (Parasite, 2019) - 8,5/10

Both hilarious and poignant statement against class society. An unemployed family of four slowly works its way in the household of an upper class family.

King of the Road (2019) - 7,5/10
Surprisingly good Dutch tv-movie with a good plot twist. After a tussle with some Dutch-Moroccan men Barry's friend and co-truck driver ends up in the hospital. To his dismay his employer pairs him up with Sadiq, a gentil Dutch-Moroccan on his first international drive. What from then on seems to be a dime-a-dozen 'unlikely pair of opposite cultures become friends' movie ends up as an unexpected thriller.

Out in the Dark (2012) - 7,5/10

Palestinian closeted student Nimer and Israeli lawyer Roy fall in love and have to overcome hate and suspicion from their environment. Anxious and terrifying story.

·
Registered
46,453 Posts
Titanic (1998) for the 3rd or 4th time. Still give it a 8/10 but always irritated by the lack of concern over the icy temperature of the water flooding into the ship. No one acts cold until they're floating in the Atlantic, and even then there's barely any shivering.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts

Destroyer (2018) - 7,5/10

Kidman (looking like she has just been dug up from her grave) plays a detective living on the edge, haunted by her past. That past, a former gang of bank robbers she infiltrated as a young cop, has now come back and she has to take care of it once and for all, crossing the edge beyond return.
Despite the mediocre score on imdb a captivating crime thriller.

·
Registered
35,697 Posts
One Cut Of The Dead: 8/10
(Shinichiro Ueda, 2017)
So much more than the trashy zombie shlock you might expect. Sharply meta and ravishingly creative.

·
Premium Member
104,622 Posts
Glad to see A Sun getting a Netflix release. Somehow I believe this is a good thing for the foreign films to get the exposure they deserve.

9/10 (saw it at hkaff last year)

·
Premium Member
104,622 Posts
Unpopular opinion but I found Uncut Gems VERY overrated. So loud, noisy and overlong. The ending was a cop out

4/10

·
Registered
27,375 Posts
And then We danced (Akin) 8/10

This was moving and very competently made. I loved the georgian traditional dance coreographies and, most of all, the Tour the force performance by Lead actor Levan Gelbakhiani, a Georgian professional dancer who made his debut in acting with this movie and he is so talented. It’s a very physical and expressive performance, he can express so much and so many different feelings with his body and his face. His partner in crime Bachi Valishvilli also debuts in film and even though he is not as good as Levan he is so nice to look at and exudes a movie star aura.
I hope to see more of them in the future.

·
Registered
37,481 Posts
Chinatown (1974) - 0/10

The ending absolutely ruined it, the most disturbing ending in the worst possible way. It would've been great if it hadn't been made by a child rapist, though.

·
Registered
35,697 Posts
Jojo Rabbit: 3/10
(Taika Waititi, 2019)

To quote this movie: "Man, that was a complete bust." It's incomprehensible to me how it got all the accolades and fantastic reviews it did … The silly comedy was as trite and dumb as any ol' "Hangover" movie (and had literally nothing to do with actual satire), while the dramatic moments felt dishonest and hokey. It didn't help that some of the performances were absolutely awful, especially by Rebel Wilson and Taika Waititi himself. Not to mention the cringeworthy variety of accents.

Glad to see A Sun getting a Netflix release. Somehow I believe this is a good thing for the foreign films to get the exposure they deserve.

9/10 (saw it at hkaff last year)
after the above nuisance, this was a nice change, so thanks for the recommendation. i would give it a 7/10 – wasn't a fan of the score and some plot elements were rather predictable –, but it had enough complexity and good characters to keep me interested.

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,072 Posts
Sometimes it's like I just don't know you at all 😰

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Watched Memories of Murder (2003) again last night - from the director of Parasite
👍👍👍👍

they finally caught the killer in real-life in Korea last year that inspired this movie 😓👍

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
Mr. Smith goes to Washington (1939), from Frank Capra - 9/10

I've watched some of James Stewart's movies, mostly the ones from Hitchcock, and it was funny seeing him this young here. He's still one of my favourite actors.
But the one I enjoyed the most was Jean Arthur as Saunders, I don't think I've ever watched a movie with her, so I may check "The More the Merrier". She was witty, clever, funny and sarcastic.

This was a storyline from 81 years ago and it's still very presente these days.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
@Beat , @SilverPersian
Have you watched Potrtait Of A Lady On Fire? If so, love your thoughts on the movie. :unsure:

·
Registered
35,697 Posts
@Beat , @SilverPersian
Have you watched Potrtait Of A Lady On Fire? If so, love your thoughts on the movie. :unsure:
yes. i liked it a lot, was in my top 10 of the year. very emotional and engaging. although i didn't think it looked as good as people said. in fact i thought it was very digital looking.

801 - 820 of 828 Posts