Tennis Forum banner

781 - 797 of 797 Posts

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,054 Posts

1917 - 8/10
The one-shot cinematography creates the sensation of being very "trapped" in the experience of the central character/s, which is mostly gripping and effective, while simultaneously also making the film feel a bit like a computer game. The narrative is ultimately fairly simplistic; but many stunning images and episodes along the way.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Córki Dancingu / The Lure (2017) - 4/10

I like weird-ass, gorey, grotesque movies but this one just plain sucked.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Oro (Gold, 2017) - 7,5/10

Has a low rating on imdb but as a history and adventure buff I liked it. A troop of Spanish soldiers explores the Amazonian jungle looking for the mythic city of gold. They have to face hostile locals, greedy fellow Spaniards, dangerous animals and their own troop members in their quest. The atmosphere gets more and more claustrophobic while the troop thins out rapidly after every challenge.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - 7,5/10

Better than I expected, certainly better than the chaotic mess that was Last Jedi. Anything but perfect but at least entertaining and with a satisfying end.

·
Registered
30,997 Posts
What Keeps You Alive, 6/10 - There's a talented vision at work here, the team behind it, director Colin Minihan and his partner, actress Brittany Allen, come up with impressive elements, some good writing, performances, and cinematography. But they try for an ambitious combination of pulse-pounding thriller with some sort of poetic meditation on survival and revenge, and unfortunately neither works.

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Knives Out: 8/10
(Rian Johnson, 2019)
There were moments when I thought the movie was going to lose its way and get convoluted and also that Daniel Craig was quite bad, but in the end all elements miraculously fell into place, in a clever and satisfying way.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - 7,5/10
Better than I expected, certainly better than the chaotic mess that was Last Jedi. Anything but perfect but at least entertaining and with a satisfying end.
certainly not (and i wasn't even a big fan of TLJ)

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Blinded By The Light (2019) - 7/10

Cute film about a British-Pakistani kid trying to find himself during the Thatcher era with help from the music of The Boss.

·
63,493 Posts
Parasite (2019, in South Korean)

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I cannot praise this movie enough. It is so perfect. It is wickedly funny and darkly disturbing at the same time. You MUST watch this movie.

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Leave No Trace: 8/10
(Debra Granik, 2018)
It takes a director as skilled as Debra Granik to tell a story about non-conformity, trauma and family in such a tender and uncondescending way. Killer performance by Thomasin McKenzie.

Not better or no satisfying end or both?
both for me.

·
Registered
30,997 Posts
All Is True, 8.5/10 - Having devoted his entire life to his work, Shakespeare faces his demons and the neglect of his family. My tolerance for costume pics, and for all things Shakespearean, has waned in recent years, but I was just in the right mood for this and liked it a lot more than the critics. An impeccably acted, moving work in a minor key.

·
Registered
46,310 Posts
Knives Out: 8/10
(Rian Johnson, 2019)
There were moments when I thought the movie was going to lose its way and get convoluted and also that Daniel Craig was quite bad, but in the end all elements miraculously fell into place, in a clever and satisfying way.
I agree completely with your summation, but I'll give it a 9/10. And I fell in love with Ana de Armas. But I fall in love with an actress in many movies.

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Les Misérables: 7/10
(Ladj Ly, 2019)
A movie that's stressful, exhausting and demands a lot from you. In other words: It's not enjoyable, but it does what it sets out to do in convincing fashion.

781 - 797 of 797 Posts