Tennis Forum banner

761 - 780 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Miss Sloane: 6/10
(John Madden, 2016)

Quite a broad and unsubtle political thriller, direction and performances are exactly as they usually are in this kind of movies, mostly played for melodramatic effect. But it's still fairly entertaining with a usually great, snappy JC in the title role.

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
Strangers On A Train: 9/10
(Alfred Hitchcock, 1951)

Lesser known, but not less thrilling Hitchcock movie with an exceptionally creepy Robert Walker as Bruno Antony and a jaw-dropping showdown.

·
Registered
30,995 Posts
Marshall, 8/10 - Excellent courtroom drama about Thurgood Marshall the first AA Supreme Court Justice. Anything that can transcend a couple of mediocre actors like Josh Gad and Kate Hudson deserves extra points. Only slighly marred by seeing Jussie Smollett's name in the credits.

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,054 Posts
^I'm still cross about how he treated his kitty. Appropriate score.

·
Registered
30,995 Posts
Alita: Battle Angel, 7.5/10 - The reviews for this were meh but I really enjoyed it up until an underwhelming denouement with a bit too much of a "set-up for the sequel" feel to it. Alita is a compelling heroine, and though I'm not particularly an effects guy I have to admit they were eye-poppingly entertaining in this case and the movie just looks fantastic.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

God Bless America - 7/10

Very funny, not meant to be taken very seriously and mostly very satisfying. If you like Idiocracy, you'll probably enjoy this one. I'm sure a lot of pseudo edgies pseudo intellectuals love it also, but I won't hold it against it. Much better than Joker.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Mario (2018) - 7/10

Swiss gay drama/romance movie about two talentend young football players on the verge of breaking through and possibly signing big contracts but then fall in love with each other. Being gay is still not an acceptable thing in the macho world of football and the constant pressure of keeping the secret from team mates, club management and sponsors gets to the guys more and more. They will have to choose between the risks of openness or putting up a straight charade for a successful career.

The sympathetic Swiss German accent is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
35,656 Posts
i was quite disappointed with 2019, but then i saw two of the best movie in the span of a few days. They're very different, but equally rewarding:

The Nightingale: 9/10
(Jennifer Kent, 2018)
This movie will break your heart over and over again … so yes, it's a tough watch, but a compelling one, high on intensity – and fragility. Jennifer Kent's obviously extremely talented and her filmmaking of the highest order. Also Aisling Franciosi in the lead role is absolutely stunning and should be a contender for just about every award there is.

The Farewell: 9/10
(Lulu Wang, 2019)
Director Lulu Wang proves that you create something tender, touching, funny and sublime not by stringing together melodramatic moments, but by being a good observer and by being truthful to your own experience.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

De Kuthoer (2019, The Columnist) - 6/10

Dutch tv-movie, part of a subsidized project for young cineasts. Funny but superficial thriller-comedy about a newspaper columnist who snaps after so many troll comments about her columns and looks (the Dutch name of the movie means 'the c*nt') and goes on a vendetta against the people behind the troll accounts.

761 - 780 of 797 Posts