Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 902 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thor: Ragnarok

3/10 for the first 30 minutes, which was all I could stomach.

Marvel movies usually do a good job of convincing me I should write scripts, as theirs are always so damned awful.

·
HEADBANGER
69,361 Posts

·
Registered
8,124 Posts

Love, Simon - 6,5/10

More hype than substance. I found the story quite unremarkable, rarely funny and not even slightly groundbreaking.

Looking back on all the glowing reviews it feels like huge pandering to the gay community. If a movie is mediocre just say so.

·
Premium Member
104,683 Posts

The Spy Gone North - 8/10
A slow burn, JLC-esque thriller based on the true spying between the two Koreas during the 90s. Not much action going on but nevertheless exciting. You could always count on Koreans doing historical films right.

·
HEADBANGER
69,361 Posts

Amour

7/10

Not always easy watching.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts

Theatre of Blood - 8/10

Funny... and disgusting, as a Shakespearean actor kills critics.

·
Registered
36,169 Posts
Don't Breathe: 7/10
(Fede Alvarez)

The tension and the physical brutality make this not an easy watch. Flat backstories, bad writing and some horrible overacting (except for the wonderful lead) are outweighed by great design and an inventive, kinetic choreography that leads you through the house. As far as single location movies go, this is an entertaining genre ride.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts

Secuestro / Boy missing - 6/10

The least appealing movie from Oriol Paulo even if he only served as a writer for this one and didn't direct. As usual there were many twists and turns so it still made for entertaining viewing. But the acting wasn't convincing and there was no one to root for because they all appeared annoying.

Can't wait for Paulo's next directed movie that stars his previously more tolerable and convincing actors.

·
Registered
30,361 Posts
A couple of recent ones:

Gods and Monsters (1998) - 7/10 - intriguing but a little strange, especially the way it ends.
Rushmore (1998) - 8/10 - it's Wes Anderson, so there's a healthy dose of kooky characters and awkward situations.
Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (1996) - 8/10 - if you are a fan of Kids in the Hall, you'll love this movie.
Network (1976) - 6/10 - quite a clever "satire", feels very relevant for the current times. A bit dated in the way main characters are set up.
Heathers (1988) - 9/10 - brilliant dark teen comedy
Adventureland (2009) - 8/10 - yeah yeah, it's Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg, but this is still quite a sweet coming-of-age flick with music by Yo La Tengo.
Role Models (2006) - 6/10 - a Paul Rudd comedy about an "intergenerational" friendship between losers.
Henry Gamble's Birthday Party (2015) - 8/0 - surprisingly subtle and well-executed low profile coming-of-age film.
Men Don't Whisper (2018) - 10/10 - a hilarious short film about a gay couple trying to "prove their masculinity", this had me in tears link

·
Registered
30,361 Posts

Love, Simon - 6,5/10

More hype than substance. I found the story quite unremarkable, rarely funny and not even slightly groundbreaking.

Looking back on all the glowing reviews it feels like huge pandering to the gay community. If a movie is mediocre just say so.
I thought it was above average. I'd give it 8/10.

·
Registered
31,424 Posts

In the Fade (Aus Dem Nichts), 7.5/10 - A woman seeks justice after her husband and son are killed in a terrorist attack perpetrated by neo-Nazis. Diane Kruger won the Best Actress award at Cannes 2017 for this, for good reason.

·
Premium Member
104,683 Posts

1985 - 9/10

A decent film about the 1980s where AIDS were still a grim problem among the gay people in America. Good idea to shoot it in B/W. Great performances by the ensemble. Very understated but powerful.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts

The Fountain - 6/10

Okay. Got a little silly at the end.

Now I know where this gif came from:

Solaris - 9/10

Beautiful.

Works for ASMR too.

1 - 20 of 902 Posts