·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
184,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Kisses To My Favorite Frigid Lady!:kiss: :kiss:

·
Registered
365 Posts
This thread was so beautiful honestly!! One of the best things I’ve read in a while. I know this is a major bump but kudos to the OP for this seriously underrated thread years ago!! I screenshotted the entire post ! ?

·
Art & Futures
20,460 Posts
I appreciate the positive sentiment in the post....

However... here are some realities of tags / categories:

• ~Tags / categories help people find others who are more similar to them
  • ~Tags / categories help people make quicker judgments about others; ie our weak brains need to categorize at some point in order to operate. while categories create abstraction and minimize complexity on one hand, they also allow us to dive deeper into complexity as they give us anchoring off points.
  • ~When people use tags / categories to harass, discriminate, confidently make unamenable negative assumptions, etc. about others, the recipients of those tags have two options (in general). 1) ignore that the tag exists, even if it's used by a lot of people against them. or 2) reclaim the tag. Thus, while tags are used as points of oppression, they are also used to subvert that oppression. Thus, you kind of get in a tricky sort of temporal situation ~think Derrida hauntology~ where you want to move beyond the tag (for the future), but presently and historically you need that tag to exist to understand past mistakes and alleviate current pain.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
2002 internet was too blue and Italic for my taste.

·
Registered
31,186 Posts
I completely agree with the OP and also think using tags to "reverse" oppression is a terrible strategy in the long run.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts