Tennis Forum banner
161 - 180 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
20,618 Posts
I can’t. Let’s say Andreescu miraculously defended her Indian Wells title at Indian Wells 2021, she will have 2 Indian Wells 1000 points in her ranking until November 8. That’s 2000 points which is equal to winning a grand slam. Ridiculous. And the worse thing is they didnt even give any explanations whatsoever why they decided not to drop the points now when IW 2021 is held.
No , she will not . It will only be IW 2021 in this case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
20,618 Posts
And no explanation was given. Like at least with Rabat and DenBosch the case could be made the events never took place (even though this far into Covid that’s wearing a bit thin). But like everyone could compete at IW 19 and IW 21 so the 19 points should be dropping
They gave a general reason for all three

As the 2019 points from three events (2019 Indian Wells, Rabat and ‘s-Hertogenbosch) did not drop after 104 weeks, these 2019 points will drop off on the Nov. 8, 2021 ranking.

·
*Sesil*
21,997 Posts
They gave a general reason for all three

As the 2019 points from three events (2019 Indian Wells, Rabat and ‘s-Hertogenbosch) did not drop after 104 weeks, these 2019 points will drop off on the Nov. 8, 2021 ranking.

I mean that doesn’t account for the fact IW is taking place. Like I get the logic (somewhat) with the other two as they’ve never taken place since

Also Beijing was not given this luxury

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,940 Posts
No , she will not . It will only be IW 2021 in this case

Oh yeah I forgot it's the "best of"

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have the feeling that the points of IW 2019 will be removed at the end of IW2021. At spring they had announced that points from protected tournaments will be removed when they were played and was mandatory to be played. They changed it during USO and decided all points to drop after 104 weeks at maximum since tournament was played and for the 3 tournaments that these 104 weeks had expired to be removed at 8/11. My guess is they forgot that IW will be held this year or they didn't express the rule correctly. The September's announcement had the meaning to correct the previous status which would cause Rabat, ‘s-Hertogenbosch and all Asian tournaments to stay at rankings for one more year. IW 2019 points based on spring's announcement were supposed to drop at 18/10 so it doesn't make sense to extend them for 3 more weeks in an announcement they were trying to fix the mistake that keeps them valid till today. I don't even believe they are planning to use the "best of" system for IW points just for 3 weeks. Again it is WTA and they can always surprice us

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Ostrava!!!! points also count both 2020 and 2021 until next week (to the benefit of Sakkari)
Because next week is when Ostrava was played last year… Of course the points need to last for a full year to not be worthless (never mind their impact being watered down but other players having artificially high rankings from 2019 points). Indian Wells 2019 magically getting counted for almost three years, despite being held now, is a totally different story though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah but they're not counted as 'best of' unlike eg. the French Open, you get to count both, for no good reason.

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Yeah but they're not counted as 'best of' unlike eg. the French Open, you get to count both, for no good reason.
Seems logical imo; the rankings worked that way until the frozen covid ones. It wasn't about specific events, ranking points just lasted for 52 weeks and that was that. For events like a slam or even Indian Wells, I can see that having the points count twice could skew things for certain players, but for a smaller event like Ostrava, it doesn't make a very meaningful difference.

Reactions: pmtig2001

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’m not sure which week Zhuhai and the YEC from 2019 will come off this year, but no doubt even they will come off before Indian Wells!!

·
Registered
36,380 Posts
Because next week is when Ostrava was played last year… Of course the points need to last for a full year to not be worthless
That's exactly what they did to Prague though, it was held in August last year but dropped in July this year (when the 2021 tournament was held). The whole rankings are a mess and I think the WTA has also given up on it making sense. 🤣

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,597 Posts
And people wonder why WTA doesn't deserve equal footing with ATP. It's a complete nonsense with the rankings. I cannot wait to finally see IW 2019 points go off. 2,5 years is enough. More than fucking enough. Even Andreescu fans have given up on her comeback this season so why bother with this artificial boost?

Reactions: OyeChica

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
And people wonder why WTA doesn't deserve equal footing with ATP. It's a complete nonsense with the rankings. I cannot wait to finally see IW 2019 points go off. 2,5 years is enough. More than fucking enough. Even Andreescu fans have given up on her comeback this season so why bother with this artificial boost?
Well for once ATP has been even more nonsensical than the WTA imo when it comes to the covid rankings. But both have been a huge mess.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
ATP is way worse. Roger Federer has barely played last 2 years and he's still sitting inside the top10.

Reactions: Perun and pmtig2001

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,597 Posts
ATP is way worse. Roger Federer has barely played last 2 years and he's still sitting inside the top10.
Yeah, but he actually doesn't play at all so doesn't profit from this artificial ranking. And he's clearly only a puppet on the string these days, other players don't fear his old ass anymore.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Yeah, but he actually doesn't play at all so doesn't profit from this artificial ranking. And he's clearly only a puppet on the string these days, other players don't fear his old ass anymore.
Pretty sure he very literally profits (and a lot) from sponsor clauses etc

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,597 Posts
Pretty sure he very literally profits (and a lot) from sponsor clauses etc
Sponsors would still pay him up regardless of the ranking so I don't get your point?

161 - 180 of 264 Posts