Tennis Forum banner
201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
20,475 Posts
It's dumb but it's okay because it only lasts 2 weeks until November 8th and it's not really going to effect entries for anything so I guess all it means is some people (like Jabeur) might get a slightly higher number as their career high...but who cares.

I imagine IW 2021 points will be added to IW 2022 points and last regular 52 weeksbut that's okay with me as the Asian 1000s probably wont happen so there wont be too many points.
lower number (Jabeur)

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
Yup they are doing it . Pretty much confirmed it with these Jabeur ‘s info. Kerber will increase her points by reaching the semi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So I guessed right. WTA and it's nonsensical doings. Not surprised as Simon came from Indian Wells. Shady moves.

Anyhow I guess we should move on from here cause the rankings for Jan thru Mar should drop accordingly and return to 52 weeks from Miami (with the exception of this Indian Wells replacing Beijing). There shouldn't be anything else to play with on the ranking side for WTA on the tour level.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wait, that means Angie is not only keeping her F points for another month but is also adding QF points now? 🤣
Even worse is that Andreescu keeps those 2019 Indian Wells points for a while longer.
That's insane. 2019 Indian Wells was MORE THAN 2 years ago!
Is Andreescu paying them to do this?

Remove 2019 Indian Wells from Andreescu, and she's got to be about #30 or #40 - which is where she rightfully belongs right now, based on her play over the past 2 years (didn't play at all in 2020, and has only the Miami Final this year as a good result).

I know their goal is to retain the last 2 of each tournament - but to remove 2019 Toronto and 2019 U.S. Open, but retain 2019 I.W., which was played BEFORE 2019 Toronto and 2019 U.S. Open, is rather absurd.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even worse is that Andreescu keeps those 2019 Indian Wells points for a while longer.

Remove 2019 Indian Wells from Andreescu, and she's got to be about #30 or #40 - which is where she rightfully belongs right now, based on her play over the past 2 years (didn't play at all in 2020, and has only the Miami Final this year as a good result).

I know their goal is to retain the last 2 of each tournament - but to remove 2019 Toronto and 2019 U.S. Open, but retain 2019 I.W., which was played BEFORE 2019 Toronto and 2019 U.S. Open, is rather absurd.
Since you copied your post from the other thread, I'll add my response here too:

It's just a couple extra weeks. Somehow, I think everyone will survive.
Seriously, it's not a big deal. These points have already been on 2.5 years; three more weeks makes no difference to anything (including any entries). Just chill and move on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
But what is the reason of keeping them an extra couple of weeks beyond this year's tournament?
It's an odd decision, and people (including me) are thinking that some sort of 'backroom deal' went down - to the benefit of someone, or some entity.

There can certainly be benefits from this to some players (like endorsement incentives from sponsors for number of weeks in the top 10, top 20, top 30, etc.).

2019 I.W. points have been here for 2.5 years only because no I.W. has been played since 2019. But as soon as the current I.W. is finished, the points from 2019 I.W. should vanish immediately, not a couple of weeks later.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's an odd decision, and people (including me) are thinking that some sort of 'backroom deal' went down - to the benefit of someone, or some entity.
Then I suggest taking a moment to find your center, and after that, really, truly think about if that is plausible. In fact, take two moments. I also support using this tactic for many, many other times throughout your life in a world that is increasingly populated by scammers and conspiracy theorists.

Anyway, if you want to give yourself a stroke about something that has little to no effect even in the microcosm that is pro tennis, that's your prerogative. But I don't recommend it!

·
Registered
825 Posts
LOL I love Angie but her having two sets of (potentially finalist) Indian Wells points on her current ranking is laughable and basically shows you the state of WTA executive decision making.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Then I suggest taking a moment to find your center, and after that, really, truly think about if that is plausible. In fact, take two moments. I also support using this tactic for many, many other times throughout your life in a world that is increasingly populated by scammers and conspiracy theorists.

Anyway, if you want to give yourself a stroke about something that has little to no effect even in the microcosm that is pro tennis, that's your prerogative. But I don't recommend it!
Your comments on this topic sound like they're coming from a WTA representative trying to justify their completely messed up and non-sensical ranking system.

·
Registered
Azarenka Kenin Ostapenko Badosa
855 Posts

It's not just rather, but absolutely absurd. The worst ever decision made in regards to the rankings.
If Andreescu didn't play for a whole season and couldn't really show good results this year, she shouldn't be rewarded by keeping even a chunk of her 2019 points which are way overdue to drop.

·
Registered
20,475 Posts
But what is the reason of keeping them an extra couple of weeks beyond this year's tournament?

There can certainly be benefits from this to some players (like endorsement incentives from sponsors for number of weeks in the top 10, top 20, top 30, etc.).

2019 I.W. points have been here for 2.5 years only because no I.W. has been played since 2019. But as soon as the current I.W. is finished, the points from 2019 I.W. should vanish immediately, not a couple of weeks later.
But three weeks doesn’t help any those thing you mentioned including seeding, tournament entry….

·
Registered
20,475 Posts

This ++++

·
Registered
110 Posts
But three weeks doesn’t help any those thing you mentioned including seeding, tournament entry….
Where did I mention anything about seedings or tournament entry?
In fact, I didn't mention those things.
But it is certainly conceivable that retaining a significant number of points for 3 extra weeks could affect seedings for a tournament, if the timing is right.

I did mention sponsorship deals - and that's another possible effect in that, as I said, if a player has a sponsorship contract which pays them extra bonuses for number of weeks inside the top 30, for example - these 3 extra weeks can make a difference.
So it's not as benign as a couple of you believe.

The WTA has been manipulating the crap out of the rankings since the return to play last year. I don't like it. I like to see people get what they deserve - no more, and no less. I'm funny that way - I believe in fairness.

·
Art & Futures
22,842 Posts
Yep, i'm getting tired of these inflated rankings. Seems to have served and continue serving those who have been MIA...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nobody likes the whole situation at rankings but all this was necessary.

At 2020 they had to use the protected system since 1) tournaments were cancelled and 2) many players were skipping tournaments that were held due to covid rules in their home country or were afraid to bring back home covid.

When they took the first decision to return to normal rankings I was thinking it is insane to require a tournament be held in order to remove 2019 points from rankings. Thinking of it more clearly this decision was good. AO and all tournaments in Australia were held but with plenty of restrictions and surely not at normal conditions (unless it is normal to have plenty of players without covid locked at a hotel room for 2 weeks). Then we had IW cancelled but Maimi was going on. RG moved a week later and everything was indicating that whole Asian swing will be cancelled. European and American spring-summer tournaments were supposed to held but nobody could say that this was 100% sure at the time of this decision. So if they were going to return to normal by removing points from 52 and 104 weeks they would have big problems if tournaments were cancelled later. Removing points from tournaments that were held was the correct decision.

At USO they got the final decision to return to normal rankings by removing the tournaments after 52 or 104 weeks since till that time period they had seen that season was going almost normally. The problem was that 3 earlier tournaments of 2019 were still at rankings and needed to be removed. They could have removed them at once but their decision to remove them at the end of season was also correct and in my opinion better. Removing points at once just by a decision sounds like manipulation no matter that it is still correct. The end of season and before the new one is always the best time point to do adjustments if is needed.

Now we have the IW problem since it is possible (we aren't sure yet) that we will see points of it twice at new rankings and till 8/11. It sounds stupid but still it is not big deal to keep these points for 3 more weeks. It doesn't actually change something for the players maybe at seedings a bit. Although it doesn't affect the top 4 seeds at Moscow who will get bye and considering we recently had a qualifier to win USO against someone ranked over #70 at final the rest of the seeding has not actually any meaning. Most probably this IW will serve as a replacement of Beijing and when IW of 2022 is held probably will not be used the best of system and both tournaments will stay at rankings.

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,368 Posts
well, it's still better than the ATP's lol
Yes, but everyone knows ATP has done this for Federer only. And he doesn't even play right now so their decision means jackshit. To think WTA wants to give Andreescu the Federer treatment is mind-boggling and really makes people angry. It would maybe make sense if Stacy Allaster was still the CEO since she is Canadian but it only serves as prime example why WTA is lost at sea with these rankings and has completely mismanaged the situation.

Reactions: iGOAT

·
Registered
20,475 Posts
Nobody likes the whole situation at rankings but all this was necessary.

At 2020 they had to use the protected system since 1) tournaments were cancelled and 2) many players were skipping tournaments that were held due to covid rules in their home country or were afraid to bring back home covid.

When they took the first decision to return to normal rankings I was thinking it is insane to require a tournament be held in order to remove 2019 points from rankings. Thinking of it more clearly this decision was good. AO and all tournaments in Australia were held but with plenty of restrictions and surely not at normal conditions (unless it is normal to have plenty of players without covid locked at a hotel room for 2 weeks). Then we had IW cancelled but Maimi was going on. RG moved a week later and everything was indicating that whole Asian swing will be cancelled. European and American spring-summer tournaments were supposed to held but nobody could say that this was 100% sure at the time of this decision. So if they were going to return to normal by removing points from 52 and 104 weeks they would have big problems if tournaments were cancelled later. Removing points from tournaments that were held was the correct decision.

At USO they got the final decision to return to normal rankings by removing the tournaments after 52 or 104 weeks since till that time period they had seen that season was going almost normally. The problem was that 3 earlier tournaments of 2019 were still at rankings and needed to be removed. They could have removed them at once but their decision to remove them at the end of season was also correct and in my opinion better. Removing points at once just by a decision sounds like manipulation no matter that it is still correct. The end of season and before the new one is always the best time point to do adjustments if is needed.

Now we have the IW problem since it is possible (we aren't sure yet) that we will see points of it twice at new rankings and till 8/11. It sounds stupid but still it is not big deal to keep these points for 3 more weeks. It doesn't actually change something for the players maybe at seedings a bit. Although it doesn't affect the top 4 seeds at Moscow who will get bye and considering we recently had a qualifier to win USO against someone ranked over #70 at final the rest of the seeding has not actually any meaning. Most probably this IW will serve as a replacement of Beijing and when IW of 2022 is held probably will not be used the best of system and both tournaments will stay at rankings.
Yeah and sponsor are not dumb.

The WTA for example has canceled players bonus in 2020 & 2021 . Plus sponsors just give bonuses for year end ranking or average ranking over 52 weeks and others career achievement (s). Not weekly ranking.

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Yeah and sponsor are not dumb.

The WTA for example has canceled players bonus in 2020 & 2021 . Plus sponsors just give bonuses for year end ranking or average ranking over 52 weeks and others career achievement (s). Not weekly ranking.

Which gives ridiculous advantages to ANDREESCU and FEDERER though…

201 - 220 of 231 Posts