Tennis Forum banner
181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Sponsors would still pay him up regardless of the ranking so I don't get your point?
Usually the contracts include bonuses or even certain payment thresholds depending on the ranking. Because in normal times the idea is someone in the top ten is way more relevant, and gaining more consistent exposure, than someone ranked 85. Even for someone like FEDERER, his sponsors would very much like to see him playing and probably give financial incentives (which again are normally tied to ranking) to do so. And meanwhile someone like FAA is probably missing out on his own top ten bonus because of it (not that I feel particularly sorry for him).

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,368 Posts
Usually the contracts include bonuses or even certain payment thresholds depending on the ranking. Because in normal times the idea is someone in the top ten is way more relevant, and gaining more consistent exposure, than someone ranked 85. Even for someone like FEDERER, his sponsors would very much like to see him playing and probably give financial incentives (which again are normally tied to ranking) to do so. And meanwhile someone like FAA is probably missing out on his own top ten bonus because of it (not that I feel particularly sorry for him).
Yeah, but Federer has such a huge legacy after nearly two decades of elite performances the incentives are like lunch money IF he still has some in his contracts. FAA hasn't won anything to be even mentioned in the same sentence as Federer when it comes to endorsements value.

·
Admin
67,538 Posts
just a reminder to stay on topic, don't wanna make a clean up because of a few Federer posts only but ATP rules are clear, so you know where to go, if you wanna continue the ATP/Federer discussion, thank you! :)

·
Registered
17,010 Posts
It doesn’t make sense but I think WTA is trying to pull an Adelaide here to favor IW.

In a sense, this IW held in October will be a new Indian Wells that does not replace the old Indian Wells, just like Adelaide. The old 2019 IW will serve as a placeholder till end of season to come off together with Rabat and ‘s-hertogenbosch (since it’s already not counted as best of 16) while the new to be played IW will serve as the mandatory event filler in absence of Beijing.

When IW is played again jn 2022, players will have two mandatory events in place as IW and IWR (replacement for Beijing), which the latter will last for 52 weeks in hopes the Asian Swing will return in 2022 with Beijing played (as of now not looking bright). However, if a player chooses to skip this IWR held in October, they will not be penalized for missing a mandatory event.

I do hope what I think is wrong and the 2021 points will just replace 2019 and all 2019 points are removed after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
They're coming off on the Nov. 8, 2021 ranking.

WTA says something plainly and succinctly and 100 of you act like it's in hieroglyphics.
Which makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Reactions: TheBoiledEgg

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
They're coming off on the Nov. 8, 2021 ranking.

WTA says something plainly and succinctly and 100 of you act like it's in hieroglyphics.
Nice that at least person one understands WTA logica :p

·
Registered
20,475 Posts
It doesn’t make sense but I think WTA is trying to pull an Adelaide here to favor IW.

In a sense, this IW held in October will be a new Indian Wells that does not replace the old Indian Wells, just like Adelaide. The old 2019 IW will serve as a placeholder till end of season to come off together with Rabat and ‘s-hertogenbosch (since it’s already not counted as best of 16) while the new to be played IW will serve as the mandatory event filler in absence of Beijing.

When IW is played again jn 2022, players will have two mandatory events in place as IW and IWR (replacement for Beijing), which the latter will last for 52 weeks in hopes the Asian Swing will return in 2022 with Beijing played (as of now not looking bright). However, if a player chooses to skip this IWR held in October, they will not be penalized for missing a mandatory event.

I do hope what I think is wrong and the 2021 points will just replace 2019 and all 2019 points are removed after 2 weeks.
Yup they are doing it . Pretty much confirmed it with these Jabeur ‘s info. Kerber will increase her points by reaching the semi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
36,289 Posts
Wait, that means Angie is not only keeping her F points for another month but is also adding QF points now? 🤣

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's dumb but it's okay because it only lasts 2 weeks until November 8th and it's not really going to effect entries for anything so I guess all it means is some people (like Jabeur) might get a slightly higher number as their career high...but who cares.

I imagine IW 2021 points will be added to IW 2022 points and last regular 52 weeksbut that's okay with me as the Asian 1000s probably wont happen so there wont be too many points.

·
Registered
37,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
It's dumb but it's okay because it only lasts 2 weeks until November 8th and it's not really going to effect entries for anything so I guess all it means is some people (like Jabeur) might get a slightly higher number as their career high...but who cares.

I imagine IW 2021 points will be added to IW 2022 points and last regular 52 weeksbut that's okay with me as the Asian 1000s probably wont happen so there wont be too many points.
Well it must be annoying for someone like KERBER who will move up this week only to see her ranking drop again a few weeks later.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shrug, I don't think players care about these things unless it's year end ranking or it's a ranking they need to get into tournaments.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,886 Posts
At least Kerber will get her last stint in the top10 for two weeks if she wins her QF

181 - 200 of 231 Posts