Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
37,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WTA's incompetence strikes again. It's Tuesday night in the USA, yet this week's rankings are not posted yet. According to their site: "Due to technical issues, the latest rankings are not updated. Check back soon."

My biggest question though is what is going on with last year's points from "Cincinnati" event? The points from Cincinnati 2019 seem to have already dropped last week, but no word yet on the 2020 edition. If those points come off this week, and therefore manage to neither count for seedings at this year's or last year's US Open, then I will be very pissed. All while the points have had less impact this entire year anyway than they normally would since frozen covid points padded other players' rankings. And it will impact a certain player far more than anyone else.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
On live tennis they dropped them on the live ranking already.
It's really stupid that a tournament from 2,5 years ago still counts while points from a tournament from 12 months ago will be gone.
The atp rankings are an even bigger mess though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The WTA's incompetence strikes again. It's Tuesday night in the USA, yet this week's rankings are not posted yet. According to their site: "Due to technical issues, the latest rankings are not updated. Check back soon."

My biggest question though is what is going on with last year's points from "Cincinnati" event? The points from Cincinnati 2019 seem to have already dropped last week, but no word yet on the 2020 edition. If those points come off this week, and therefore manage to neither count for seedings at this year's or last year's US Open, then I will be very pissed. All while the points have had less impact this entire year anyway than they normally would since frozen covid points padded other players' rankings. And it will impact a certain player far more than anyone else.
I think they subtract points off best result of 52nd or 104th week. Last year, if a player had reached a QF in 2019 but finished with SF result then they only gained a small amount of extra points. Points should come off next week for Cincinnati and then 2 weeks after the US Open points will drop off.

My question is do the RG20 points drop off this year?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I think they subtract points off best result of 52nd or 104th week. Points should come off next week for Cincinnati and then 2 weeks after the US Open points will drop off.

My question is do the RG20 points drop off this year?
Again live tennis dropped them from the us open 2020 in the 5 weeks prognose so that will be the same for the french open. So Kenin loses her 1300 (well 1060) before her 2000 points of the australian open.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
The rankings are a side issue. Of FAR more importance at the moment is that the website doesn't even have the draws available for the current tournaments, and hasn't had the order of play for any event up since last Friday. Luckily their mobile app does have these, but it's ridiculous that this crucial information is not available in the most logical place to look.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
But the question remains, why is the WTA website still down as far as rankings are concerned? It is Wednesday, damn it. Yes last night’s results steam across the top but the ranking state “due to technical difficulties” the latest rankings are not updated”. “Check back soon”. We have been waiting for three days what could possibly be taking so long?

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Badosa certainly hopes all 2019 and 2020 points come off as quickly as possible. While some still have Indian Wells points on their records from 30 months ago, and a plethora of other tournaments that year, including the WTA Finals, Badosa currently has 2258 points on her record, of which a massive 1902 were achieved this year (despite the Covid complications disrupting the start of her year) - that's 84%. She wasn't a factor at all in 2019, and this time last year she was losing in Cincy quals, and then in straight sets to Gracheva in R1 of the USO.

Krejcikova is another with a massive 3838 of her 4143 points coming this year. Both of those players rise's came at RG 2020 when they both surprisingly (at the time) made the L16, and both bettered that the following year, Krej of course emphatically so.

Those 2 are definitely the ones to suffer the most with the backdating of points. I hope it sorts itself out soon.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Badosa certainly hopes all 2019 and 2020 points come off as quickly as possible. While some still have Indian Wells points on their records from 30 months ago, and a plethora of other tournaments that year, including the WTA Finals, Badosa currently has 2258 points on her record, of which a massive 1902 were achieved this year (despite the Covid complications disrupting the start of her year) - that's 84%. She wasn't a factor at all in 2019, and this time last year she was losing in Cincy quals, and then in straight sets to Gracheva in R1 of the USO.

Krejcikova is another with a massive 3838 of her 4143 points coming this year. Both of those players rise's came at RG 2020 when they both surprisingly (at the time) made the L16, and both bettered that the following year, Krej of course emphatically so.

Those 2 are definitely the ones to suffer the most with the backdating of points. I hope it sorts itself out soon.
No they aren’t. The people who are suffering the most are the ones who should be in automatically in slam MD’s but aren’t because of the bloated rankings. For example, players like Ruse, Konjuh, Schmiedlova, Kucova and Zanevska should be in the USO MD over players like Saisai, Watson, Peterson, Blinkova, Riske, and Mchale.

Those six, especially Peterson, Blinkova, Riske, and Mchale, have very obviously benefited the most as they can continue to pick up slam MD paychecks while flopping left and right for an extra year or two. It's pathetic.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
No they aren’t. The people who are suffering the most are the ones who should be in automatically in slam MD’s but aren’t because of the bloated rankings. For example, players like Ruse, Konjuh, Schmiedlova, Kucova and Zanevska should be in the USO MD over players like Saisai, Watson, Peterson, Blinkova, Riske, and Mchale.

Those six, especially Peterson, Blinkova, Riske, and Mchale, have very obviously benefited the most as they can continue to pick up slam MD paychecks while flopping left and right for an extra year or two. It's pathetic.
Fair point, and yes, those types will absolutely be feeling the pinch, especially when scrapping around for points to make the bigger pay cheques, but I was meaning more towards the top end of the rankings. The fact that Badosa was still not assured of her US Open seeding until this week, despite being 14/15 in the race in mid August was a disgrace, as was Krejcikova having to face Barty in R4 of Wimbledon, and even stuff like not having a bye this week. It really is a mess, events like Rabat will be staying on records for 36 months.

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,521 Posts
The longer this shitshow goes the more absurd it becomes. If the Chinese events 2019 points will carry into 2022 this will be a complete joke. Just cut the damn bait already. As for ATP, well Federer will have another knee surgery and will miss months. Nobody needs his 40-year old ass in Top 10 anymore in pure artificial manner.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Absolutely..... especially Riske who, according to the, (lack of updated) rankings can actually be seeded at the US Open.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I just looked again. What the hell is wrong with them. They are an utter disgrace. Does anyone know where I can find live rankings or rankings updated after the Canadian Open. The WTA app still has Giorgi at 71 and we all know that is not true? Anywhere to look, anyone know???

1 - 20 of 250 Posts