Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
How can be Serena above Steffi? Steffi completed the Golden Slam in 1988. Serena didn't ( she only won 3 GS in a season )...Steffi won 22 GS having a shorter career ( she retired at 31 ) .This is why she is the n1 ever by far
graf's stats are inflated by seles' stabbing. i would put her 4th behind queen, nav and court

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Greatest Singles Player : Serena Williams
Greatest Doubles Player : Martina Navratilova
Greatest Mixed Doubles Player : Margaret Court
Greatest Mixed Singles Player : Steffi Graf and Gunther Parche
I'm not even surprised by this disgrace of a post. But yeah, when I criticise this cult some members will go "urgh the cult is not bad, you are prejudiced, it's not worse than other fanbases" and make themselves the victims (just like a certain player did in 2018 in the US Open Final).

who is better?
Among the current generation? Right now it's probably Andreescu, but I doubt she'd make the grade for that list. Top 5 greatest is really really big, and shouldn't become something banal to say. It's not a label that should be tossed to any player.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I'm not even surprised by this disgrace of a post. But yeah, when I criticise this cult some members will go "urgh the cult is not bad, you are prejudiced, it's not worse than other fanbases" and make themselves the victims (just like a certain player did in 2018 in the US Open Final).

Among the current generation? Right now it's probably Andreescu, but I doubt she'd make the grade for that list. Top 5 greatest is really really big, and shouldn't become something banal to say. It's not a label that should be tossed to any player.
LOL someone is triggered !

HAHA at ansdrescu, coco will own her in the next 3 years !

·
Banned
2,731 Posts

Me thinks Momma's Pussy is a troll account. Perhaps a double account from a banned member. I should know. I've done the same thing 😅😅😅

·
Registered
777 Posts
graf's stats are inflated by seles' stabbing. i would put her 4th behind queen, nav and court
That's not how GOAT debates work though. We can only judge how great someone was based on how they did in their own time and against the field. You can also argue that Court's records are inflated because she played in an amateur era or that Navratilova's records are inflated because she had no competition apart from Evert.

Steffi's two best years on tour were before Monica even became a top player. It's tough to argue against Steffi being the GOAT when almost all of her stats are better than those of Martina and Serena, even though she retired when she was 30.

I love Serena to bits, but just dismissing Graf like that is very disrespectful. Nobody in the modern era of tennis was as dominant as Steffi. Although there is no definitive GOAT in the women's game, Steffi's case is still probably the strongest.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts

You are just a hater.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Truth hurts doesnt it ?
No, not at all. The truth should be embraced. It seems like the truth only hurts small minded, big sad ego narcissistics like crazy trump and his blind sheep. I embrace the truth. Plus it’s ALWAYS stranger and more interesting that fiction. And Steffi was mortified by monicas horrific stabbing. But 27 + years later, some people haven’t embraced the truth of it. It was the shameful workings of a lone madman.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Playing devil’s advocate here... But if Graf’s stats are inflated by the Seles stabbing then Serena’s stats are inflated by Henin’s early retirement 🤭

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
That's not how GOAT debates work though. We can only judge how great someone was based on how they did in their own time and against the field. You can also argue that Court's records are inflated because she played in an amateur era or that Navratilova's records are inflated because she had no competition apart from Evert.

Steffi's two best years on tour were before Monica even became a top player. It's tough to argue against Steffi being the GOAT when almost all of her stats are better than those of Martina and Serena, even though she retired when she was 30.

I love Serena to bits, but just dismissing Graf like that is very disrespectful. Nobody in the modern era of tennis was as dominant as Steffi. Although there is no definitive GOAT in the women's game, Steffi's case is still probably the strongest.
you are being diingenious. the point is graf had a rival, she was stabbed and that is why she got most of her accomplishments- 4 slams at each major, weeks at number 1, 6 french opens, 22 slams, 5 us opens, 4 australias. the only place where little would change is wimbledon but that is not to say seles couldn't have fluked 1 or 2 of them. the point is graf's stats were heavily inflated. at least with court outside of her inflated stats due to australia, was still clearly the best player. i want to say he only lost 1 final each to bjk, bueno and goolagong.

serena is just another level. it was basically her vs the field.

·
Registered
777 Posts
you are being diingenious. the point is graf had a rival, she was stabbed and that is why she got most of her accomplishments- 4 slams at each major, weeks at number 1, 6 french opens, 22 slams, 5 us opens, 4 australias. the only place where little would change is wimbledon but that is not to say seles couldn't have fluked 1 or 2 of them. the point is graf's stats were heavily inflated. at least with court outside of her inflated stats due to australia, was still clearly the best player. i want to say he only lost 1 final each to bjk, bueno and goolagong.

serena is just another level. it was basically her vs the field.
How am I being disingenuous? Graf played 13 Slam finals against Navratilova, Evert and Seles all of which are top 10 all time greats so she had plenty of competition.

All of the GOATs have had certain circumstances that have led them to have a gigantic slam count and Serena is no exception.

We can only judge player's greatness based on how they did in their own time and how dominant they were over their rivals.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Playing devil’s advocate here... But if Graf’s stats are inflated by the Seles stabbing then Serena’s stats are inflated by Henin’s early retirement 🤭
that doesn't make sense. seles was the better player by far of her era and routinely beating graf in non-grass finals. henin was the graf of this situation. she benefitted from the loss of serena's sister, serena's rash of injuries and indifference to the sport. henin only really had like 5 years of top level play-03, 04,05,06,07. . after the 03 wimbledon, serena dealt with many injuries. henin had nothing tio do with serena's lack of success. if serena and seles were healthy than the graf and henin wouldn't have won as much.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
How am I being disingenuous? Graf played 13 Slam finals against Navratilova, Evert and Seles all of which are top 10 all time greats so she had plenty of competition.

All of the GOATs have had certain circumstances that have led them to have a gigantic slam count and Serena is no exception.

We can only judge player's greatness based on how they did in their own time and how dominant they were over their rivals.
you are being disingenious. graf won like 11 of slams post seles stabbing and what circumstances helped serena? you keep contradicting yourself

41 - 60 of 78 Posts