Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,652 Posts
So will they keep the ITF Ranking and award points to both?
ITF ranking points will be awarded in $15,000 and $25,000 qualifying rounds and a player’s ITF ranking will continue to be valid for acceptance purposes after WTA ranked players.

There will be no more ITF reserved places at 25k's any more.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
So, what's the big difference between the new system and the old system?
Participants of 15K tournaments get WTA points again.

This year so far they only got ITF points. A high ITF ranking then allowed them to get a reserved ITF spot in 25K tournaments, where they could win WTA points.

This seperation of rankings is now smoothed out to some extent. But 10K tournaments still only give ITF points.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
So someone gonna sit a whole Saturday to rewrite the ranking software. :)
Good weekend my friend. Glad I am not the one this task was assigned to !!!!

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
45,731 Posts
So will they keep the ITF Ranking and award points to both?
ITF ranking points will be awarded in $15,000 and $25,000 qualifying rounds and a player’s ITF ranking will continue to be valid for acceptance purposes after WTA ranked players.

There will be no more ITF reserved places at 25k's any more.
Have they published a grid with the points ?

It’s good they’re keeping this at least, as it will be favoring players who actually win rounds in qualies (which was the main interest of the new system)... not sure how it makes sense to keep it in an apart ranking any longer though...

Also quite sad how little points they are giving for a 15k win, 12 points used to be ridiculous, 10 is even more stupid, that’s now 5 times less points as a 25k win and has many points as what a French scrub gets in Paris for receiving a WC and being trashed in the first round...

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I had to doublecheck it is not April 1st. Muppets. Poor players that focused on building their ITF rankings for nothing, no special entry anymore. So only thing they accomplished is demolishing security of having consistent rules for players to rely on. I guess biggest winners are mostly college players and injured players and those who haven't played this year yet fr whatever other reason.

Oh, and r16 of 25k giving only 1 point? Retroactively? Sucks for those who were determined to secure their WTA ranking, getting out of their usual schedule and spent money to travel to African,South American and Indian ITFs in fall of 2018. Their effort will be in vain now, them being leapfrogged by 15k Brito lites and their points cut by 80% (or even more r16 25k+H gave 1 extra point). Edit: Oh, that's for men's 25ks only. But points still stand, they will inadvertently punish some players earning their points and opportunities in good faith using their own money and resources, which is unacceptable. They change thing again, before they could even settle.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When will they fix the fact that 25K points and below don't go on a player's ranking until two weeks later? :tape:
Yeah, I don't understand why that still happens, in this day and age, when unofficial sites can be updated minutes after a match.

In days of yore, with mountains of paperwork, and slow and creaking computer systems, it might have been different.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts