Magdalena Maleeva Bulgaria
Conchita Martinez Spain
Amanda Coetzer South Africa
Elena Dementieva Russia
Vera Zvonareva Russia
Meghann Shaughnessy United States
Patty Schnyder Switzerland
Silvia Farina Elia Italy

Who do you feel are the most and least popular players in your country?
I think the popularity of players in the UK is mostly based on who turns up to the bigger tournaments here, Eastbourne and W'don, and who does well in them. Cos its not as if we're affected much by home players biasing things.

Obviously I don't think new players like Zvonareva are all that popular as I think most people need time to get used to players. Schnyder doesn't really feature much on grass so I think she'd be overlooked, same with Farina-Elia (although beating Lindsay at EB prob means they'll know her much better next time). I think players such as Ai, Chanda, Maleeva are quite popular as even the senile old wenches that have been going to Eastbourne since the 50's know who they are quite well and they marvel at Ai in her evening doubles matches and frequently see Chanda at Eastbourne etc. Also Conchita and Amanda are well known as people have seen them around for ages and so know them well.

I'd say all the top players are pretty well known, although believe it or not I don't think they know all that much about Amelie. Only had 1 good W'don year and not an Eastbourne player. They probably know Justine more than Kim due to her W'don final and may have heard about her recent French win.

But I think in general, the more they've played and the older they are, the more the general fan will know and like them than a new or young player, no matter how talented or high in the rankings. What about your country?

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
u from the UK right?

well here is my opinion

Anna Kournikova
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Daniela Hantuchova
Jennifer Capriati
Linzi Davenport
Jelena Dokic (Damir of course ;) and BMH)
Chanda Rubin (i had no idea how much Eastbourne loves her)
Kim Clijsters (cos shes Lleytons gf. i see her mentioned in the papers more than Henin)
Justine Henin

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Serena Williams
Jelena Dokic
Kim Clijsters
Maria Sharapova
Anna Kournikova
Justine Henin
Daniela Hantuchova
J.Cap
Chanda Rubin

·
Banned
241 Posts
active players (with a ranking)
Anna K....Enrique's bitch, everyone knows..
Hingis...featured in way too many commercials
Williams.....most people think they are one person
if they dont watch tennis..
"Williams who?....does the Prince of England
play tennis too?..:rolleyes:"
sad how tennis isnt as popular as it's used to be

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Flanders (dutch speaking part of Belgium):

Kim Clijsters
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
Justine Henin-Hardenne
|
|
\/
Anna Kournikova (for obvious reasons :rolleyes: )
|
\/
Ai Sugiyama (Kim's doubles partner)
|
\/
Daniela Hantuchova (for her legs)
|
\/
Els Callens & the other Belgians (Elke, Kirsten ...)
|
\/
the rest of the tour
|
|
|
\/
Venus (the surname Williams is a popularity killer)
|
\/
Serena (arrogant, haughty, Appelmans can't stand her ;) )

Reactions: AleOrtu

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I'm in Australia, and I would have said:

1. Kim
2. Monica
3. Venus/Amelie
4. Lindsay

and I'm sorry but I'm really not sure after that. They would be the most popular players I am pretty sure. Hingis was also very popular, and then there's Anna for the blokes, of course.

I'm not aware of any players that Aussie crowds actively dislike but they generally go for the underdog and don't like arrogance.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Number1Kim said:
I'm in Australia, and I would have said:

1. Kim
2. Monica
3. Venus/Amelie
4. Lindsay

and I'm sorry but I'm really not sure after that. They would be the most popular players I am pretty sure. Hingis was also very popular, and then there's Anna for the blokes, of course.

I'm not aware of any players that Aussie crowds actively dislike but they generally go for the underdog and don't like arrogance.
In Australia, I think it's

1. Kim
2. Alicia
3. Venus
4. Monica
5. Nicole
6. Jen
7. Lindsay
8. Amelie

But I fully agree with you about Aussie crowds going for the underdog. I even know people who will cheer for young players who they've only heard of once or twice against their faves.

Sadly, Serena is not very popular, but Venus is. However, If Venus had've been the one to beat Kim in the Aus Open final, I'm sure she'd be just as unpopular.

·
Banned
327 Posts
I'm from Canada and I would definately say that Anna K is the obvious favourite. She is all over the place and was definately marketed well.

Monica is a crowd pleaser and a crowd favourite because the Canadian Open was where she made her comeback in 1995 She also won 4 times in a row.. Hingis is very popular and Mauresmo is very popular in Quebec. Clijsters is a favourite but Henin is probably not as high as her. Capriati is high because of her recent results in Canada.

Serena is not popular here because of her constant last minute withdrawls from the Canadian Open. She pulled out of the Canadian OPen in Toronto to make a movie in Toronto. That's not gonna endear her to alot of people here and she isn't well liked. Venuus only played here in 1995 but she is somewhat popular but definately not extremely popular.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
In the US:
1)Venus
2)Serena/Kournikova
3)No one else...

Im not being biased either, if you ask the average american to name their favorite tennis player it would be Venus...honestly probably because her name

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yes, well Alicia and Nicole are right up there of course, but I thought we were restricted to top 20 (fingers crossed that this time next year Alicia will be in the top 20 anyway!).

It's hard to tell really except for Kim who is clearly liked. Aussies don't tend to go for obviously cocky in any sport, which I think explains why Venus is very popular and Serena is sort of take-her-or-leave-her. I wouldn't say Serena is actively disliked though.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
iLuVenuSerena said:
In the US:
1)Venus
2)Serena/Kournikova
3)No one else...

Im not being biased either, if you ask the average american to name their favorite tennis player it would be Venus...honestly probably because her name
LOL. Venus is indeed a great name. Actually I think Oracene Price should start a naming advisory service, she picked some great ones!

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
For Canada? If by popularity you mean Q factor:

Anna Kournikova
Jennifer Capriati
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Monica Seles
Lindsay Davenport
Mary Pierce
Justine Henin
Jelena Dokic
Kim Clijsters
Amelie Mauresmo

Very few people would have heard of anyone else.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Switzerland: I wouldnt know the order but in likeability, it may go like.....

Anna K
Patty
Martina
Monica
Myriam

(Patriotic ;))

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
from where I come from in Labasa, Fiji, its the Williams sisters. People don't know any other tennis player except maybe for Agassi and Pete Sampras.

The only problem is most people in Fiji keep refering to the Williams sisters as the "Venus sisters". Its annoying to me. That just goes on to show that Venus maybe more popular than Serena over here

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
In the US (at least where I live) the average person loves "the hot but crappy tennis player" Kournikova (I think she's good at tennis though) and thinks Hingis still plays. Everyone roots for Capriati and against the "Williams twins". But nobody knows who Chanda is :fiery: Do people really like her in UK? Bc in the US she's about as well known as Tian Tian Sun

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
tennis is practically close to non-existence in singapore. but if i have to rank on how well known they are..
1. the williams (most people cant differentiate them)
2. kournikova
3. martina hingis/monica seles
the rest are sadly, unknown

·
Registered
11,222 Posts
In Brazil is

Anna Kournikova (duh.. but of course not because of the tennis subject)
Martina Hingis (still)
Serena Williams (yeah, shes more popular than Venus, because her name's everytime on the news papers, and because we surprisingly get to see her more than Venus)
Venus Williams (yeah, and specially now, shes known as Serena's older sister)
Monica Seles (yeah she's really liked here)
Jelena Dokic (specially the Bahianos.. and also thanks to Bernoldi)
Jennifer Capriati (because of her AusOpen comeback, Jennifer is still between the knowns tennis players)
Lindsay Davenport (even tho' I haven't see no fans of Lindsay in Brazil, I think she's known cuz she's been a long time on the tour, and well she consitently made GS finals and semifinals, so she could be known.. but I'm not sure.. But obivously, shes more known than the belgians)
Justine Henin (she's known because of her game and her Guga backhand like.. that's simply why and for beating serena and winning RG lol)
Kim Clijsters (believe it or not, she's on juju's shadow here)
Special mentions too:
Amanda Coetzer
Daniela Hantuchova
Steffi Graf
Vanessa Menga (lol)
Joana Cortez (lol)
and etc.. :p

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
CANADA-Tennis may not be #1 but people know who the tennis players are

1. Anna -not so much anymore...shes more popular for her Calendars and pin ups then her results (no surprise there :rooleyes:

2. Jennifer- now this is a REALLY hard because Serena is really popular too, but as far as popularity goes Jennifer is next to Anna, everytime i ask people "whos the best player" or "who do you know" or anyother thing conserning tennis, Jen always comes up, not only that but in a recent poll by tsn she was voted #11 out of 100 for most well known athlets outside of Canada, Anna was #2 and Serena was #17

3. Serena- and also Venus to a lesser extent

4. Martina Hingis- always a favourite

5. Monica Seles- shes a "sweatheart"

6. Martina Navratilova- the "legend" she was once the most popular woman athelet around...and people still recognise her.

7. Mary Pierce- she was Canadian born...so of course you have to add her as well (espeacially in Quebec)

8. Steffie Graff- same as Nav

9. Venus- shes a williams

10. Maureen Drake- Canadian...also took a set of Venus...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.