Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agnieszka Radwanska would like to see another change in the WTA schedule, saying the WTA Elite Trophy should not be mandatory for players who qualify.

The 26-year-old, who earlier this week called for the season to be reduced to nine months, said the required tournament further increased the length of the season. The new WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, a 10-player round-robin event, features players who did not qualify for the WTA Finals in Singapore.

"I think, for example, the smaller Masters in, or I don't know how you can call it, in Zhuhai, I think that's something that shouldn't be really mandatory for the players," Radwanska said. "I think it has to be your choice, especially that it's after Singapore. So it makes your season much longer. Two weeks does a lot for us."

The event is meant to host players ranked from No. 9 through No. 19, as well as one wildcard entry. Players who qualify are required to compete, though two or more players who are alternates for Singapore do not have to participate.

Radwanska, currently ranked No. 8, also criticized the amount of points given at the event, suggesting it would have a significant effect on season-end rankings, particularly around the edges of the Top 10.

''I think there's also too much points there. I mean, [you're] ending after Singapore, for example, No. 9. Then someone's getting 700 points. Suddenly from No. 9, you're No. 12. You thought you finish No. 10," she said. "I think that's couple things about that should really change."

Not yet qualified for Singapore but clearly not interested in Zhuhai. ;)

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
I'll just repost what I said in the other thread where this was mentioned, verbatim:

If Zuhai was not mandatory, then so many eligible players would give it a miss (regardless of the points on offer) that the tournament would lose all credibility. The location would be largely to blame for that, along with the basic concept of a second-string championship. Most of the players ranked from 11-20 would be European or American. Those that did not leave the Far East after Beijing would have left after Hong Kong/Tianjin. Then they have to go back two weeks later, or else cool their heels for that time.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
''I think there's also too much points there. I mean, [you're] ending after Singapore, for example, No. 9. Then someone's getting 700 points. Suddenly from No. 9, you're No. 12. You thought you finish No. 10," she said. "I think that's couple things about that should really change."
Any doubt Aga's been reading this forum? :)

·
Premium Member
182,399 Posts
She just wants to play exhos at end of season.

Season should be longer by a month to get rid of ITPL

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I agree with her. It's just an irrelevant tournament. But she'll probably get her butt there if she doesn't qualify for Singapore :shrug:

·
Registered
36,223 Posts
Aga remarks align with her previous comments about the season's length. I don't understand why this event is required either. Let those who wish to play in this nonevent play. The others will probably want to relax a bit before prepping for the next season and lucrative exhibitions. Also, plenty of posters here have commented negatively on the number of points on offer at this event. Let us see if they can agree with Aga, even though they hate Aga. If Aga were truly a vulture, as some claim, she'd relish the opportunity to play in Zhuhai. The last time attendance was decent at this event, it was called something else and it happened in Bali.

Any doubt Aga's been reading this forum? :)

I am sure she is able think for herself and doesn't need to parrot the tripe posted on TF.

I agree with her. It's just an irrelevant tournament. But she'll probably get her butt there if she doesn't qualify for Singapore :shrug:
Required is the key word.

·
Registered
10,477 Posts
Aga remarks align with her previous comments about the season's length. I don't understand why this event is required either. Let those who wish to play in this nonevent play. The others will probably want to relax a bit before prepping for the next season and lucrative exhibitions. Also, plenty of posters here have commented negatively on the number of points on offer at this event. Let us see if they can agree with Aga, even though they hate Aga. If Aga were truly a vulture, as some claim, she'd relish the opportunity to play in Zhuhai. The last time attendance was decent at this event, it was called something else and it happened in Bali.

I am sure she is able think for herself and doesn't need to parrot the tripe posted on TF.
Perhaps, but it's also possible to disagree with her on the length of the season, and yet agree with her (in principle) about the basic concept of Zuhai.

·
Registered
117,748 Posts
Its the first year and the WTA wants this to succeed. Certainly a multi-millionaire player who already had a long year might want to stop now.

I dont know of any solution. If Serena wants a vacation, there's nothing the WTA can do about it. Plus, the WTA wants to have good relationship with Serena even after she's retired.
In a similar way, the WTA doesnt want Aga feeling abused by the WTA. They probably will deal with this on a case by case basis. But they want stars like Wozniacki & Radwanska to play this new event. It helps to brand it.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Required is the key word.
If she doesn't want to play it she can skip it, but she'll get a penalty (0 pointer + fine). She can afford that :shrug: But I don't think she'll do that. I think Venus might skip it. And Caro doesn't know if she wants to play anything else besides Linz.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
The whole idea of a tournament after the YEC is bad.
YEC should be the last event regrouping the top-8.
If you didn't make the cut, go home, take a break, retool, and have fun.

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
189,531 Posts
Time: 2-8 November 2015

Score: 700

Total prize money: US$2,150,000

(Entry conditions: Mandatory tournament; singles players ranking from 9th to 19th while doubles players ranking from 9th to 12th in WTA annual ranking list; plus 1 wild card for singles and 2 wild cards for doubles)

How much money get the Winner? (My guess over 2 million danish kroner)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
This should go next year. Stacey is out :shrug:

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,924 Posts
Sam's been carrying a 0 on her ranking for all of 2015 for missing the MM-YECs last year. This, despite the fact she only "qualified" for the event right at the end of the year in Osaka, and that she decided not to play because she was using the off-season to deal with injuries -_-

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
the ALT for Singapore are not forced to attend, so I don't get her concern

Reactions: Nottheone

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
the ALT for Singapore are not forced to attend, so I don't get her concern
But she'll qualify anyway to Singapore. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
But she'll qualify anyway to Singapore. Not a big deal.
so what's the problem? Imagine you organize a tournament you put many $$$$$$ on it, you want to be sure that it doesn't have the number 25-40 to attend it. Just like players 1-8 are required to attend YEC, so does this tournament.

If you decide not to attend then you get 0/pay a fine. Obviously there should be exceptions like the case @SilverPersian mentioned since someone who is injured can't be penalized.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts